X

Balancing tires with B B's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing tires with B B's

So I put new Mezler Z6's on and used BB's for weights-2oz in the rear and 1oz in the front (I have a co worker that is using dyna beads in the tires of a cruiser). One question I have is ,has anyone done this and what was your outcome. I have no problems whatsoever up to about 100-110mph and then I get a little high speed vibe (feels like the front), it's not that I go that speed often-but I wanted to test---yeah that's the word "test" them. I got the idea from a friend running 33's on a Samurai (used for rock climbing) and he said he could go down the freeway at 80mph and no problems. I also know of a site (leadfreewheels)that talked about an "equal"powder that semi drivers use. Any way's I've got to get to bed (1:14am) to got to work....later
    Horn broken--watch for finger....

Mojoe uses the "equal" stuff (not sure the real name for it) drop him a pm for his opinion if he doesn't see this thread.
    Kyle

Comment

I didn't find it that hard to balance with proper lead weights with the wheel hanging by the axle. If the BB thing is working for you, good times.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

The inside of the front Z6 has reinforcement ridges running laterally across the center belts. Those BB's may wear the ridges out and cause the tire to delaminate under load. I think I have some of the balancing beads around here if you want them...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Does this work?
          Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
          '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
          '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
          '11 Kawasaki KLR650
          I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Alright airsoft bb's are .12 grams, it'll take 237 to reach 1 oz. and 474 (2 oz) for the rear. My tire's will be here Monday and I my try this.
            Can anyone come up with a REAL reason why the BB's won't work. I spent 2 hours reviewing the concept, it works.

Good reviews here http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25290
            Last edited by Fox Fader; 03-21-2008, 11:53 PM.
            '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
            '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Beads

I wonder my self I wish some one would tell us if they tryed these?

Comment

Originally posted by #1 Moses View Post
                I wonder my self I wish some one would tell us if they tryed these?
                I'm gonna find out and if it does, ALL my other vehicles will get it.
                '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Personally, I'm skeptical. As I understand it the beads just kinda chill in the tire and then when it spins they find there way to the lowest weight point and chill there instead? Thus balancing the wheel?

Maybe my mechanics are off, but it doens't seem logical that the beads would necessarily work their way to the low weight points? But I'm not 100% on this at 4 am after a night of drinking....
                  None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                  -Robert Morrison

"
                  well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Got my back tire on with 2 oz of 6mm bb's, after I do the front and get a ride in I'll report.
                    '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                    '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

So far so good, I didn't get to get up any real speed cause it was late and chilly, I'll try tomorrow.

The Shinko's 005's feel real good. I don't have the HEAVY feedback in the steering due to the squared rear. feels like a totaly different bike.
                      '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                      '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Update:

Can the BB thing . At 100 mph I could feel the vibes, back to old school.
                        '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                        '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

let us know, if you can, what weights are needed to balance the tires. i'm interested to know how 'off' they are that the BBs couldn't balance

of course, i am skeptical of the BBs already but the logic seems sound to a layman like me
                          1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Bead balancing/liquid balancing never made sense to me (the low-point [if you imagine centrifugal force as gravity] may not be the lightest point), especially with any tire that wasn't perfectly smooth on the inside from the factory... Thanks for the update FoxFader.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by catfish View Post
                              let us know, if you can, what weights are needed to balance the tires. i'm interested to know how 'off' they are that the BBs couldn't balance

of course, i am skeptical of the BBs already but the logic seems sound to a layman like me
                              The BB's are coming out. They have to to get a good balance cause they don't do their job till they reach bout 30-40 mph.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                              Bead balancing/liquid balancing never made sense to me (the low-point [if you imagine centrifugal force as gravity] may not be the lightest point), especially with any tire that wasn't perfectly smooth on the inside from the factory... Thanks for the update FoxFader.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              NP
                              Last edited by Fox Fader; 03-26-2008, 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                              '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Working...
                              X