X
X

Chain lube wheel shield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Fluid Film no fling as long as you don't over do it. To get my rims clean I use Fluid Film on a rag and wipe.
    Ride like it's your last ride
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
      The point of this thread is to lube your chain properly so you don't have to come up with a dangerous and ill conceived solution to what should not be a problem.
      See Nanc.. there ya go taking all the fun out of it....

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
      Wouldn't the oil slip off the metal at a high rate of speed and fling off the metal to probably on your tire and to other riders behind you.
      Yes.
      Last edited by GSXFJim; 09-06-2013, 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

It'll work...

It seems I need to clear up some misconceptions.

This is just temporary - used for the first ride only.
        It won't unbalance the wheel - it's made of two lightweight and symmetrical aluminum pieces.
        Don't take it on the interstate at 100mph! under 50 in town should be OK.
        It will be wired to all three spokes so it will not suddenly go flying off.

I use a custom blended chainlube with extra moly. It's quite sticky when the solvent evaporates but when the chain warms up it does fling off the excess. I'm generous with the application so I can be sure it gets into the rollers -too much is better than not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mektek View Post
          It seems I need to clear up some misconceptions.

1) This is just temporary - used for the first ride only.
          2) It won't unbalance the wheel - it's made of two lightweight and symmetrical aluminum pieces.
          3) Don't take it on the interstate at 100mph! under 50 in town should be OK.
          It will be wired to all three spokes so it will not suddenly go flying off.
          No misconceptions here, but a few from you it would appear ...

1) We got that. Temporary even at slow speed is still wrong. It makes you temporary.
          2) Yes, it will - unless they are properly machined they are not truly equal - and they are on 1 side of the wheel only.
          3) See 1)

Comment

It's just a bad idea all round.

The inertial forces involved will likely shear the tie-wraps, deform the aluminium under drag forces. It will then warp and flap around more and finally slice your rear tyre, maybe your brake lines, maybe your leg, an innocent bystander's face.

Just utterly, utterly silly. You may as well bolt a circular saw blade around the axle. At least then you'll know it's built to self-inertial stress tolerance.

DON'T DO IT FFS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
              I like my rear more than my front.. Endos are not fun

Dude, you're NOT helping. This can't be real.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well this is entertaining. Also I thought the rollers where lubed by the grease held in by the O ring.
                94 kat 600 RIP
                97 vfr 750 ride on

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

Dude, you're NOT helping. This can't be real.
                  Why not? I would rather fall on my ass than my face.

Comment

Why not? I would rather fall on my ass than my face.
                    I urge you to take a MSF course or similar type courses. You are riding dangerously
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Even squeezing front brake as hard as I was brave enough to try, with stainless steel braided lines and EBC pads on good rotors, I can't lift the back of my 750 up to anywhere near dangerous levels. It just giggles a bit and plops back on the rear, and the shock complains loudly.

It's a heavy bike, and the stock pistons are nowhere near as powerful as modern sports bikes.

I would really advise against using the rear brake primarily. It's not really designed to stop the vehicle, it's more of a fine tuner. I use it mostly for slope starts, pre-corner adjustments, hitting my brights when stopped at lights etc, and assisting the front brakes in emergency stops.

It's not a powerful brake. Take it to a rolling road station, perform tests on braking power with the front and the back, and compare the results.

Comment

I always cleaned my rear rim with a rag damp with kerosene, take a minute maybe 2 tops per side.
                        Kyle

Comment

rollers

Originally posted by Aimbot9000 View Post
                          Well this is entertaining. Also I thought the rollers where lubed by the grease held in by the O ring.
                          The inner pin has grease retained by an o ring. The outer roller is completely open and will eventually run dry or get contaminated with water.

you can't escape lubing the chain

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                            No misconceptions here, but a few from you it would appear ...

1) We got that. Temporary even at slow speed is still wrong. It makes you temporary.
                            2) Yes, it will - unless they are properly machined they are not truly equal - and they are on 1 side of the wheel only.
                            3) See 1)
                            You tried. Now we wait...

Comment

I think the issue may be more related to your over use of your own home made lube.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I like my rear more than my front.. Endos are not fun
                                Learn to ride. Even at track I will use mainly the front on a MUCH lighter sport bike with geometry when braking hard and fast for corners. Rarely do I use the rear unless I am braking through a turn or I am going off the track so that my fronts can cool. Seriously you will not endo a Kat without a ton other things going wrong at the same time. Seriously don't go spewing crap in a thread that already has an idiot posting....He might take it as fact when you are wrong.

To the OP. Spend the $5 and buy store lube and your issues will diminish. Get chain wax if you do not want fling. I personaly use black label chain lube and have no fling. I will lube my chain before heading onto the track so I guarantee you I am spooling up my chain and tires a lot worse then you ever experience.

So stop being a dumbass and trying to kill yourself and others out there. If you think that adding weight to one side of a tire will not unbalance it then you are just showing your low IQ. If you want to be a moron and risk your own life fine but do it in your own home and not where innocent bystanders can be injured.
                                I am a Penn State fanatic.
                                Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Working...
                                X