X

My 1990 Katana 600 TURBO build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1990 Katana 600 TURBO build

here it goes guys, been talking about a rear mounted turbo setup on my 1990 katana 600 which would be a blow through carb setup. Alot of ppl say its too hard to tune and to switch to EFI, I want to see if i can do it!

Background, my bike has some mods to it and are as follows.
    Full V&H exhaust
    poor mans ignition advancer 3-4*
    Stock air box with new stock filter
    carbs have been rebuilt and added a stage 1 FP jet kit
    R6 rear shock with shock extension mount to raise the rear 1.5"
    Post 4.5" rear rim swap with 170/60 shinko 011 tires, modded brake arm
    Rear pads are semi metallic and new rear aftermarket rotor
    Front brakes are stock caliper, EBC HH sintered pads and EBC drag lite performance rotors, All brake lines are braided SS "smoke" from G&J aircraft, billet adjustable CNC brake/clutch levers
    Custom gauge cluster and dual retrofit bixenon projectors
    Shoria lithium batter and fiberglass solo cowl.

phew! now onto the turbo specs.
    G15 turbo with 1/4" steel exhaust flanges.
    Braided -4an pressure line, 5/8" or -10an return line to oil fill plug.
    Custom steel Plenum with pitot tube (need to make)
    custom 2" exhaust from V&H header to turbo with SS vband disconnect and then 2" custom undertail exhaust.
    Pressure side will be 1.5" steel tubing to plenum
    Going to get 38mm BOV (4psi) and waste gate (4psi) as well as low pressure fuel pump and boost referenced regulator.
    Cold air inlet side of turbo will be 1.75" to 2" steel tubing with 52mm POD cone filter on the end.
    ALL COUPLERS are rubber from home depot and worm style clamps.

I plan to only run 4psi of boost to help the motor live, and the turbo is good for 100-200hp, a G12 would have been better for the 600 which is good up to 130hp but I plan to swap to a 750 or 1100 down the road so the turbo will work better on those motors. I will be running no intercooler on the 600 at 4psi, but if I crank the boost to 7-10psi on the larger motors i will run an intercooler.

I plan for this to be unique as the benefits of a turbo on a slow heavy 600 kat is slim and will still be slower than the newer SS bikes. But it should be a head turner and unique... plus a few more ponies never hurt

the gas tank will be modded for the new fuel system. I will remove the petock and weld a steel replacement with gasket, two 3/8" lines will be welded or brazed in. One for the return which will to the top inside of the tank and the other will be much lower as the pressure line. Fuel pump will prob be around 3-12psi and pump 35gph. Boost will increase on a 1:1 ratio and be set at 3psi as the starting point.

I will update the thread as progress continues and DEFINITLY let you know if it works or not. Too many turbo threads never end here with information letting you know if they succeeded or not.

Feel free to post constructive criticism.
    Attached Files
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Wow niceeeee. Subbed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh

Engelskmannen.
      Carpe Jugulum...
      1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Nice build sofar, this looks interesting. Plan on insulating that exhaust pipe? Guessing you could burn your leg nicely on that...
        2002 GSXF 750

Comment

The pipe going to the turbo looks like it's a little close to the foot peg. Not sure there will be enough room to get the ball of your foot on the peg. I'd also do a heat shield of some sort to not melt the under tail piece. But all that aside, it looks great!

Comment

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You have a major clearance issue with the tire/pipe... I would suggest you remove the spring from the shock and put it back on so you can actuate the swingarm through it's full range to find clearance.

If you find that you do have the clearance issue I am pretty sure you do, a possible fix would be to lengthen the links to move the max travel of the tire back down and away from the pipe.

That is... if the swing arc does not put it inot the bend too quickly to make it for a larger issue (no travel at all atm basically).

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Please keep us posted about project status this bike will be amazing

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
                  The pipe going to the turbo looks like it's a little close to the foot peg. Not sure there will be enough room to get the ball of your foot on the peg. I'd also do a heat shield of some sort to not melt the under tail piece. But all that aside, it looks great!
                  The whole pipe including the undertail pipe (and by the peg) will be fully wrapped in DEI titanium header wrap. Ive used this stuff before and its the best ive ever seen.

ur right it is close to the peg, I put my foot on it before doing all this to check and it does fit. THe V&H midpipe/muffler can actually had the peg basically resting on it so I found that my heel was basically on the exhaust the whole time lol. This is better than that but Im planning on moving it back alittle further.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  You have a major clearance issue with the tire/pipe... I would suggest you remove the spring from the shock and put it back on so you can actuate the swingarm through it's full range to find clearance.

If you find that you do have the clearance issue I am pretty sure you do, a possible fix would be to lengthen the links to move the max travel of the tire back down and away from the pipe.

That is... if the swing arc does not put it inot the bend too quickly to make it for a larger issue (no travel at all atm basically).

Krey
                  KREY! oh course u would notice that lol. I know that at the moment but I did look at how much the wheel compresses relative to the shock (when I was doing the rear shock mount extension). I have alittle over 1" from the shock reservour to the dog bones before "contact" would be made. This would happen way before the tire rubbed that 1 exhaust bend tho. I will most likely recut and make it look not so much like a 90* Bend tho.
                  Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                    The whole pipe including the undertail pipe (and by the peg) will be fully wrapped in DEI titanium header wrap. Ive used this stuff before and its the best ive ever seen.

ur right it is close to the peg, I put my foot on it before doing all this to check and it does fit. THe V&H midpipe/muffler can actually had the peg basically resting on it so I found that my heel was basically on the exhaust the whole time lol. This is better than that but Im planning on moving it back alittle further.

KREY! oh course u would notice that lol. I know that at the moment but I did look at how much the wheel compresses relative to the shock (when I was doing the rear shock mount extension). I have alittle over 1" from the shock reservour to the dog bones before "contact" would be made. This would happen way before the tire rubbed that 1 exhaust bend tho. I will most likely recut and make it look not so much like a 90* Bend tho.
                    Just a thought... have you considered oval or flattening out the pipe for additional clearance?

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Just a thought... have you considered oval or flattening out the pipe for additional clearance?

Krey
                      I have but you want the exit exhaust of the turbo to be as free flowing as possible as for ever 1/4 psi pressure drop is a power killer. I will most likely cut and reweld to follow the curve of the undertail plastic alittle better.

Oval pipe isn't that cheap! lol Most of this is made with left over 2" pipe from my BBF header build lol.

Comment

Nice job.... When you finish upload some vids.....

Comment

Want to sell me your vance and hines??

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Katana View Post
                            Want to sell me your vance and hines??
                            At the moment no, bc I want to make sure the turbo works before I sell the mid pipe/muffler setup lol. IF i ever need to go back I wont be able to without the exhaust.

Just so its clear I'm still using the V&H headers but building essentially a midpipe back setup to bolt on to the stock routed stuff.

Originally posted by Javy23 View Post
                            Nice job.... When you finish upload some vids.....

WEll see about the video... i dnt have a helmet cam nore do I really want to spend the money on one lol. You will prob get some iphone videos of it running and stuff down the line.

Your bike is pretty sweet in ur pic.... doesnt look all stock. Im a fan of black on black. But mostly I like what you did with the headlight. Any better pics of that? and what did you do? Looks pretty neat.
                            Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 03-11-2013, 06:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ok so I took what some of you said and thought about it. Looking at what I had I wouldn't mind the exhaust being alittle further away from the foot peg so I moved it back. Spent about 1.5Hrs today cutting and reshaping the exhaust and I got it all the way to the V&H header collector. But my 2" pipe will have to be enlarged so it will slip over the larger 2 1/8" V&H collector pipe. I went to Midas today to get it done but missed them by about 30 min. Will have to get it done tmrw. Once I get the pipe expanded and it slips over I will be able to finish up that little bit.

I dnt have a good pic of the exhaust and how close it is to the swing arm/tire now (I moved it in closer to the swing arm as well to tuck the exhaust better under the bike). But its like 1/2" to 5/8" away from the bottom edge of the swingarm and alittle more than 1" from the sidewall/thread edge of the tire. So I should be good on the clearance. The swing arm was tested on stands with the tire/suspension fully extended so I will have more clearance with some weight on the rear tire.

Pics showing the new distance of the rear peg to the exhaust as well as the real distance of the rear tire to the undertail exhaust. They both are 3" distance and this is with weight on the rear tire (rear on swing arm stand). I dont think the R6 shock is going to compress 3 full inches. If it does rub I will mod the bends to tuck it up higher. But right now I would like to move on.

Let me know what you guys think.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X