X

HID upgrade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
    This thread is not in reference to stock Kat headlight housings. There are other threads pertaining to that. No stray light in this housing as it was made for HIDs. Although I did stick with the 35w 6000k light due to the heat changing the coloration of the housing. I believe it was cherrif who did a write up to use stock post Kat housings If you want to check that out it is very indepth. Or if you have a pre Kat (since you have no info on what bike you have), pm someone like hemi who has done that particular upgrade.
    I did see that you're running an aftermarket set-up. If you have a good projector that disperses light well, the 55W will work well although still more than is needed in my opinion (unless you manage to fit an LS460 or S2000 projector on your Kat). Thanks for the info, I looked at Cherrif's write up also and got some good ideas. It looks like he got the morimotos from TRS also. I also stumbled on Uno's retrofit write up that seemed to have a lot of pictures and confirmed that throwing the headlight in the oven would actually make it come apart. I couldn't find a write-up from Hemi.

I've got a 2002 750, stock headlight housing. Once I get done messing with my truck's lights, the plan is to either drop a Morimoto Stage III projector kit into the Kat's headlight housing or find a way to put the Blazer fog lights on the bike somehow.

Comment

Hemi didn't do a write up far as I know, thats why I suggested PM (private message), but his was done with a pre kat so it will be different than what you need.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Is this sort of retrofit a common mod people do? If so, I'm a member on a truck forum and we're getting together a group buy through a vendor. If people are interested and it's not ruffling any feathers here, I can post up the other forum name. It's usually a pretty significant savings (25%) and we get high quality parts.

Comment

Or you can just go to a junkyard and rip some projectors, buy a $60 kit from ddmtuning, install projectors, and be done. All for about $200.

I had a set each of TLs, TSX, S2000, and 5 series sitting around till I gave up on my retro for the bike and went another way.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It is a fairly common mod, but it takes money. Hardly anyone here has any of that, including myself. PM Steves or ZukiFred to ask your question.

Comment

Is there any kit that will fit stock without modifications?

Comment

No
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                  No
                  Ok.. What are the brighest bulbs that fit stock then?

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                    Ok.. What are the brighest bulbs that fit stock then?
                    Probably these.

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    ... I'm pretty happy with my silverstar ultras.
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Anyone tried anything like these?
                      [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YWP7Z8/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Kensun HID Xenon Replacement Bulbs "All Sizes and Colors" - H4 (HB2) (9003) B...: Automotive[/ame]

Looks like they fit H4 and have both hi/lo and include everything.
                      Had to read on.. requires [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YWPMN0/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Kensun Ballasts "Various Options" - 2 Regular-Sized "H02" Digital Ballasts: Automotive[/ame] for the ballast (not included)
                      Last edited by numus; 12-12-2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Perhaps you're not very familiar with HID lights. Can you just use HID bulbs in a stock headlight? Sure. Have you ever seen a car with really bright headlights that blind the chit outta you? That's what HID bulbs look like without projectors. So, if you want to be that guy, go ahead. When you get hit head on by a car because you blinded the driver, you'll know why you should do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          Perhaps you're not very familiar with HID lights. Can you just use HID bulbs in a stock headlight? Sure. Have you ever seen a car with really bright headlights that blind the chit outta you? That's what HID bulbs look like without projectors. So, if you want to be that guy, go ahead. When you get hit head on by a car because you blinded the driver, you'll know why you should do it right.
                          What are you calling the projector? You mean the reflector housing? Usually that is what happens when the focal point is not in the location of the light source.. Since these bulbs appear to be roughly the same dimensions, the reflector should be adequite.

I am actually very familiar with HID lights... I worked on some prototyping for utilization of HID lights in underwater cave diving with the Welch Allyn MR11 and the H10 testtube.
                          Last edited by numus; 12-12-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

The thing you have to buy and install in your headlight. It's not in a stock Katana headlight assembly. Hence the need to modify the headlight assembly.
                            Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini D2S 2.0
                            Than perhaps you're not familiar with retrofitting HID's in a Katana.
                            Last edited by arsenic; 12-12-2011, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Lol...if it has a ballast, it does NOT belong in a reflector housing. Period. That is completely undeniable.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                                Lol...if it has a ballast, it does NOT belong in a reflector housing. Period. That is completely undeniable.
                                Did you look at the bulbs linked? Unlike most of the HID lights i see on the market these do not allow light to escape from the top... This forces the light to only be subject to the reflector.. As long as the distances from the reflector doesn't change (in respect to both the base and the sides) then the light path is identical to that of the stock H4 bulb...

That is why I asked has anyone every tried this style of HID...

Comment

Working...
                                X