X

Riding speed vs percieved speed.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding speed vs percieved speed.

Very recently there was a thread (not linking it, it's dead, and doesn't need to be brought back) where it was discussed that there is no where any need to "drag a knee" at "30-35 mph" on the dragon.

While I'll say certainly not every curve, I found this vid interesting in that it shows the speeds of a SS bike going up the dragon. The bike in front clearly shows the lean angle and knee dragging going on.

I would also stipulate that a Katana is going to take the corners a little slower for the same lean angle and close if not actual knee down dragging on some of those curves. Being as some of those cruves shows speeds of the bike dropping in the vid as low as 38mph... I have to disagree with the original statement that there is no need at under 35mph to have a need even close to the ground. I see in the vid (and from personal experiance as well) that if your travelling the speed limit (30mph) or slightly over (35mph) that there just might be a few spots that it's certainly possible for a rider to have a knee touch on a heavier and slower bike like the Kat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSF8hvAxUc"]‪Bikes on the Dragon‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Now, "need" to get a knee down is not a "to make it around the curve your knee must touch".... I'm NOT saying that. Obviously you can run just about any curve and not touch your knee to the ground.

But... I am saying that with proper positioning, and keeping with in a reasonable range of the speed limit on the dragon... there are certainly several curves that a knee might accidentally touch the ground...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

My goal for the end of the summer once my broken hand heals haha

Comment

Originally posted by Heineken View Post
      My goal for the end of the summer once my broken hand heals haha
      Did you miss the entire point of Krey's thread?
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
        Did you miss the entire point of Krey's thread?
        Yes, in fact he did.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It's ok though it's over his pay grade.

@ Krey I agree with the idea that trying to get a knee down at every corner is a bit dangerous and reckless but that might just be the type of rider i am.
          i don't really have a need to go fast as i'm always too busy enjoying the scenery.
          Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
          Tony
          94 Katana 600

Comment

What's the big deal with all this knee down stuff? I get my knee down just about every ride. It's easier to check tire pressure that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
              What's the big deal with all this knee down stuff? I get my knee down just about every ride. It's easier to check tire pressure that way.
              typical Rev!

Well put Krey!!!
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Just knowing the roads helps out like these guys knowing every bump on the road from 3-4 pases a week for almost ever .http://www.youtube.com/v/14qO1MYpszk...dded&version=3

Comment

Having your knee down is an end, not a means.

Getting your knee down does not mean you're fast, just means you can hang off the bike. I can get my knees onto the pavement easily but there are guys out here who will fly by me without ever leaving the seat...

I hear you Tim, good post.

"Smooth is fast, fast is fun."
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by tomegtt
                    It is really my honor to have this opportunity for a interview,I am 22 years old,born in a little village .I love play WOW and so crazy for mariah carey
                    I was graduated from a university last year. my major is electronic.and i got my bachelor degree after my graduation .
                    I spend most of my time on study. and i have acquired basic knowledge of my major during my school time.I think I'm a good team player and I'm a person of great honesty to others. Also I am able to work under great pressure. And in april,I left there to BeiJing and worked for a foreign enterprise as a automation software test engineer.Because I want to change my working environment, I'd like to find a job which is more challenging. Morover Motorola is a global company, so I feel I can gain the most from working in this kind of company ennvironment. That is the reason why I come here to compete for this position.
                    NOW, I begin work for a small private company as a technical support engineer in a city.Because I'm capable of more responsibilities,
                    I hope i can make a good performance today.I'm confident that I can succeed.so nice to meet you.hope to be one of your friends,where you lived?I think you are a good guy and have good. favorites. In this connection, by theend of these new features will certainly contribute to social sharing and more rapid progress.HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!I'm sorry my Coach Leather Wallets can't open files and the office 2010 too,I don't know what happend to my computers,and all the datas in files can't open it, the information about coach handbags,quad,motorcyle,guitar,the price the quantity,all messed up.
                    WTF!!
                    "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                    2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                      It's ok though it's over his pay grade.

@ Krey I agree with the idea that trying to get a knee down at every corner is a bit dangerous and reckless but that might just be the type of rider i am.
                      i don't really have a need to go fast as i'm always too busy enjoying the scenery.
                      +1

Originally posted by flash007 View Post
                      WTF!!
                      +1,000,000 seriously... wtf?
                      sigpic
                      "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

its a spam bot. not a real person I believe
                        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
                        X