X

150/70-17 to 160/60-17

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150/70-17 to 160/60-17

I have an 01 Katana 750 and I'm thinking about going from my stock 150/70-17 tire to a 160/60-17. For those who have done this, did it change how the bike rode? Handled? Are there any clearance issues I would run into going from the stock tire to this size?
    2001 Suzuki Katana 750

you can run a 160/60 on that rim with no problem.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It will "slow down" the handling. Dropping the forks even a little will help. The bike will feel "lazy" going into turns.

Comment

when i got my Kat i had a 160 on it and was wondering how the stock size would change the way it handels if i went back to it. now knowing that the 160 makes the bike "lazy" i am definitely going to change it back to the 150. I think that the 160 is for that fat tire look, i don't like the fat tire look, id rather have function over beauty and day

Comment

Originally posted by WildSide View Post
          when i got my Kat i had a 160 on it and was wondering how the stock size would change the way it handels if i went back to it.
          When it was time for new tires on my first bike I told the shop "put on what it's supposed to have" (since I had no idea)..
          When I got the bike back it was like a roller coaster. It "fell" into corners and
          felt like it "locked" onto a solid lean angle. The difference was night and day. That tire was a 110 or 120 so keep in mind the difference as a percent of contact patch was big. But man it handled so much sharper..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            It will "slow down" the handling. Dropping the forks even a little will help. The bike will feel "lazy" going into turns.
            as a person who did this stock 150 to a 160/60.. I felt ZERO adverse change in the bike handling at all.

its not a radical enough change to affect anything so you'd notice much.

if you went from a 150 to a 180, yeah, you'd notice the difference for sure, me, felt the same going a single size up.

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

You guys are missing an important aspect for this discusion... and your all right, sorta.

Different tires and brands will have different profiles for the same sizes, much less when changing tire size.

What I mean... Some tires are a flat profile touring oriented tire. That is going to give a "lazy" feel on turn in for the curves. A specific brand for instance... Conti Force tires... very flat profile. Feels great for touring, but it does not have that "rail in the curves" feel to them.

Compare those to the Conti road attacks of the exact same size, and you find there is a huge difference in how the tires feel. The Road Attacks just want to fall into a curve and carve things up.

Going 150-160 probably won't be that much of a difference for the same tires... it really depends on who's riding the bike. If your hard on the curves, near or are dragging a knee... probably could tell a small difference. If your not near that, then ... The small difference between those two sizes are not going to matter much. You still have a long ways to go in riding skill before that should become a major concern.

If you wear a flat spot on the center of any tire... a new tire will have a better profile as well. If for example your not into the curves alot, and the center wears down long before the sides.... you just flatened the profile of the tires... and a new one, of the same brand and size will have a different feel to them, being more wanting to drop into the curves.

Also keep in mind that different brands are actually different actual sizes other than what the "stamped size" on the side of the tire is. Some or a little wider, some are a little narrower. This also can make a difference when switching tires... if you happen to go from a set that is "wider" to a set that is "narrower"... in addition to changing size.

I would say if... you were to ride a specific brand tire that is less than 50 miles on it for 100 miles, then switch to another tire 1 size larger... less than 50 miles on it of the same brand.... You probably would not notice a huge difference, if the switch maintaned the proper profile.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1 with Krey...I went to a 160, but it was also a pilot power with a serious radius on the tire...if anything, mine got better...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                  +1 with Krey...I went to a 160, but it was also a pilot power with a serious radius on the tire...if anything, mine got better...
                  I did the same w/ the Metzler M3s ( real nice ) and now I switched to the Michelen PP 2CTs , very nice thank you T I can't wait till they are scrubbed in all the way . Did the Galfer Wave discs also ...NICE since $$$$ won't allow a new ride , I am still happy w/ the Kat tho, hopeing to get her on the track and def to the rally SEL you have more of a choice of hoops if you want to go to a sportier tire,with the 160 size than you do with the 150 but if you want a longer lasting tire then go with a touring tire MET Z6 / 150 . Like all said your not gonna notice that much of a difference,unless it's a pilot power with a serious radius
                  Last edited by waveman; 03-18-2010, 05:02 PM.
                  sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Good write up. Still carving up my Metzeler Z6,s 150/70 rear and 120/70 front. Sticky and solid........Can a pre handle 160/60 rear?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kat96 View Post
                      Good write up. Still carving up my Metzeler Z6,s 150/70 rear and 120/70 front. Sticky and solid........Can a pre handle 160/60 rear?
                      Most tires will be a bit out of profile with a 160 on the pre 3.5" rim. I recomend sticking with 150 as the largest, or doing a rim swap to fit a larger tire.

Post kat 4.5 will bolt right in.

Other 4.5" rims can be made to work with some minor mods.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Most tires will be a bit out of profile with a 160 on the pre 3.5" rim. I recomend sticking with 150 as the largest, or doing a rim swap to fit a larger tire.

Post kat 4.5 will bolt right in.

Other 4.5" rims can be made to work with some minor mods.

Krey
                        Thanks Krey.........I read that somewhere but just too lazy to look......I figured you would chime in
                        sigpic

Comment

I went with the Bridgestone Battlax BT016 in a lil bigger size and it feels great to me. Rides really nice on center but feels like it flows right into the corners like they make their own line.
                          Just joined a couple months ago. Now I'm hooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            You guys are missing an important aspect for this discusion... and your all right, sorta.

Different tires and brands will have different profiles for the same sizes, much less when changing tire size.

What I mean... Some tires are a flat profile touring oriented tire. That is going to give a "lazy" feel on turn in for the curves. A specific brand for instance... Conti Force tires... very flat profile. Feels great for touring, but it does not have that "rail in the curves" feel to them.

Compare those to the Conti road attacks of the exact same size, and you find there is a huge difference in how the tires feel. The Road Attacks just want to fall into a curve and carve things up.

Going 150-160 probably won't be that much of a difference for the same tires... it really depends on who's riding the bike. If your hard on the curves, near or are dragging a knee... probably could tell a small difference. If your not near that, then ... The small difference between those two sizes are not going to matter much. You still have a long ways to go in riding skill before that should become a major concern.

If you wear a flat spot on the center of any tire... a new tire will have a better profile as well. If for example your not into the curves alot, and the center wears down long before the sides.... you just flatened the profile of the tires... and a new one, of the same brand and size will have a different feel to them, being more wanting to drop into the curves.

Also keep in mind that different brands are actually different actual sizes other than what the "stamped size" on the side of the tire is. Some or a little wider, some are a little narrower. This also can make a difference when switching tires... if you happen to go from a set that is "wider" to a set that is "narrower"... in addition to changing size.

I would say if... you were to ride a specific brand tire that is less than 50 miles on it for 100 miles, then switch to another tire 1 size larger... less than 50 miles on it of the same brand.... You probably would not notice a huge difference, if the switch maintaned the proper profile.

Krey

another +1.. i myself went from a pilot power 150 to a pilot power 160.. noticed no change.

now if i'd gone from a battleaxe to a pilot power, i'm SURE i'd notice a difference.

See My Garage for mods...
                            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

now with this all said, what would be a good tire to learn to get the knee down? I really would like to learn this to make the rides a lil more fun. Don't get me wrong, I have a blast just riding into work and its mostly straight. Keep in mind that i am a newbe and have about 1000 mile under my belt. I am thinking of going with a Bridgestone Battlax BT-021 for the rear and a Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 for the front. Any help would be a great help...pssst Krey, this is where you chime in. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X