X

Chain lube

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
    Cleaning the chain is important to get all the grit and sprocket shavings and all sorts of other crap out from between the plates. As it turns, all the crap in there can shred the o-rings, dumping your lube and ruining the chain.

You can just lube a chain and never clean it, it'll work fine - just not last as long or be as shiny I wouldn't use used engine oil though - all the teeny wee engine shavings in it will work their way into the rings
    I know what you mean and I agree, but I just can't allow myself to start thinking about all the things that must infest a chain, I save my cleaning OCD for building engines and prepping stuff for paint, fun stuff like that.

I was thinking about people like Ted Simon (Jupiter's Travels) and Nick Sanders (the guy who likes to lap the globe on his R1) who really know how to abuse a bike, they seem to get away with very few mechanical maladies, especially with things like chains and tyres. Maybe they're just lucky though!
    Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
      I was thinking about people like Ted Simon (Jupiter's Travels) and Nick Sanders (the guy who likes to lap the globe on his R1) who really know how to abuse a bike, they seem to get away with very few mechanical maladies, especially with things like chains and tyres. Maybe they're just lucky though!
      Different line of thinking....

They start with new parts, and focus on making it for the end of the trip, then replace with new. The point being that on the trip you don't have the luxury of tools/multiple products for detailing the bike. Do enough to get by, and deal with wear and shortened life span of the components by replacement.

Most riders shoot for longevity of the parts so they are replaced less often. This is where cleaning the chain comes in.

Finally, just a general point... Bikes that are currently being ridden will stay in better shape than bikes that sit.

Non-use is one of the worst things to happen to a motorcycle life wise.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Harbor Freight Tools sells a part that you can roll the bike onto that has two rollers so you can spin the wheel to lube the chain. It sits a couple inches up off the ground and one side has a little ramp so that it should be easy to roll your bike onto it. I have a center stand so I have not purchased one though.

Comment

That sounds a bit like overkill to me lol. Even on a bike with no centre stand, the amount of rolling you have to do to lube the full length of chain is no major hassle

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post

That said, I do have a little can of (used) engine oil that I apply once a week with a small paintbrush, then spray some waxy Yamalube gear on afterwards. That way the chain gets the best of both worlds, a smorgasbord of lubing!

Hey, it works for me
            It works for me too I sometimes use old synthetic engine oil. Unless the engine is in the process of self destruction and you have no oil filter, there won't be a significant amount of metal particles in the oil. If you brush it on it will loosen any dirt at the same time.

Costs nothing and works well - that's two thumbs up!

Comment

My chain cleaning habits I picked up from my dirt bike experience. I have a sweet Grime Minister brush. After applying WD40 (because I wash the dirt bike everytime and WD40 chases the water out of the chain, plus it seems like a pretty good degreaser) I hit it with the Grime Minister. I've been using PJ1 for lube. Good enough for an O-ring dirt bike chain.

Takes about 10 minutes.

Day-to-day I towel wipe and reapply PJ1.

But after reading all this I'm looking into Fluid Film.
              2006 GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by Addiction View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Addiction View Post
                  My chain cleaning habits I picked up from my dirt bike experience. I have a sweet Grime Minister brush. After applying WD40 (because I wash the dirt bike everytime and WD40 chases the water out of the chain, plus it seems like a pretty good degreaser) I hit it with the Grime Minister. I've been using PJ1 for lube. Good enough for an O-ring dirt bike chain.

Takes about 10 minutes.

Day-to-day I towel wipe and reapply PJ1.

my uncle taught me to put wd-40 on the plastics also to keep em from getting brittle...seemed to work
                  94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                    Install a wheel shield and just spray it down until it is soaked!!!

No seriously, don't do this..
                    So far I have just under 1000 miles riding with the wheel shield. Many install and remove cycles too. No problems with it at all and no change in the riding characteristics. So I'll keep using it - it works.
                    Last edited by mektek; 07-10-2019, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
                      see above steps plus take bike for a short ride to warm chain, remove chain guard, find a link that looks different than the rest (every chain has one) start there, make sure you have a long'ish drive way. Lube chain, roll forward, lube chain, roll forward etc. until you're back around to the same link

+1 for my centre stand (was going to remove it)

Comment

Originally posted by Major Voltron View Post
                        Question....... How exactly do I lube the chain by myself? Can it be done on my own?
                        Easily, even if you don't have that center stand. Just stick a piece of cotton where you start, lube what you can, push the bike forward and so on. Much easier with center stand.
                        On my 1989 1100, I followed the manual, no chain lubes, and cleaned it with a kerosene soaked rag, making sure all links turned, wiped it all off and lubed it with motor oil, standard 10/40. I just installed new 530 chain and new sprockets. My original chain lasted 30 YEARS! So Suzuki knew what they were saying!

Comment

Working...
                        X