X

Repairing a Paint Chip

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing a Paint Chip

Yesterday I was moving the lawn and I ended up catching a gravel patch with the mower. Unfortunately my bike was in the driveway and it got hit. There is a deep nickle/quarter size chip on the side of the tank.

I have heard that Color Rite pens work well. Would they work for a deep chip? Has anyone out there fixed a chip like this with the pens? According to the site I need a base coat first. I would think that a clear coat would also be a good idea. I am looking at spending around $50 in pens so I wanted to make sure that they are worth the money.

How deep is the chip?

If it is down to the metal, you will want to sand and fill with something so as the metal doesn't rust. If not, yes, you can just use the color-right match stick, but you may notice a indent there still as I don't think it fills the scratches at all. Also, the color of the color-right was clost to the stock color, but still not a perfect match. Ask Need4Speed about that one.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

My bike needs base, color then a clear coat. (2000 Burgundy/Maroon)

It SUUUUUUX and does not match very well.

I cover our bikes before mowing for that very reason.
      Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
        How deep is the chip?

If it is down to the metal, you will want to sand and fill with something so as the metal doesn't rust. If not, yes, you can just use the color-right match stick, but you may notice a indent there still as I don't think it fills the scratches at all. Also, the color of the color-right was clost to the stock color, but still not a perfect match. Ask Need4Speed about that one.
        I am not sure if it is down to metal, but if it is do you have any filler suggestions? Color Rite claims that you could use the base coat to fill the chip.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
          How deep is the chip?

Ive used paint sticks before on cars and they normally seemed to work well, but that was just very small, minor dings.

As for color rite, yeah they have the factory codes, but it is a tad bit darker, atleast for the blue-gray (steelblue) but its AOK w/ me, I like the 2 tone look. 8) Steel blue is a quite a hard color to match because it changes shades so dramatically depending on the lighting circumstances.

Comment

Working...
          X