X

Pre 600 Gsxf tires dilemma

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre 600 Gsxf tires dilemma

...opened a new thread after a few years...and of course it has to be about tires.

I need to buy a set of new tires for my 91 Gsxf 600. After reading a few other threads i would like to go with a set of Michelin Pilot Road III or VI.

But here is the problem: i would like to go (1 up) upgrade which is recommended from 140/80 17 to 150/70 17 rear and 110/80 17 to 120/80 17.

I already had a set of bigger tires (Dunlop Streetsmart D5 or something like that) 15 years ago when i bought the bike and i really didnt like the handling. It sort of "fell" into the corner way too soon and way too fast. The handling for my taste was way off. Like night and day between 150 Dunlop and 140 Avon i have on my bike now.

I changed them quickly and went with original size tires from then on.
    But it is getting hard to find good tires for original sizes and i think they lack the progress that other bigger size tires are getting.

So my question at last: Should i expect the same "wrong" feelings with bigger Michelin tires even thou they are recommended upgrade or maybe the first Dunlop tires just didnt work for me or the bike?

I know some of you will advise...just try and go bigger again...but since tires are not the cheapest thing to buy and swap whenever you feel like it, i will appreciate any constructiv input to my problem
    When you know that your time is close at hand maybe than you'll begin to understand life down here is just a strange ilusion

I run the upped PR4 tire size, no problems. It's the profile of the tire and the suspension setup that has the major effects on handling. I don't care for Dunlop at all. Avons are a great tire. Michelin is a great tire with excellent mileage.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I am currently running the PR4's(up sized). When I first put them on I felt kinda the same thing. Decided right then to rebuild my front forks(plus there was a slight oil leak from the fork seals), low and behold problem solved. Not to say that is your issue.
      Last edited by dano68; 02-22-2017, 08:38 AM.
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Hmmm...now that is actually quite interesting....
        I have been thinking of rebuilding front forks for a long time...i just might go with that first.
        When you know that your time is close at hand maybe than you'll begin to understand life down here is just a strange ilusion

Comment

A short update...i went with the upper size Michelin PR4 and after 2k km a i must say i am pretty satisfied. The handling is a bit different but i got used to it quickly. The grip seems to be good. ...will report after a few more k km

Comment

Originally posted by Point Blank View Post
            A short update...i went with the upper size Michelin PR4 and after 2k km a i must say i am pretty satisfied. The handling is a bit different but i got used to it quickly. The grip seems to be good. ...will report after a few more k km
            Honestly, get a hold of tmod and get those front forks done. You will notice a huge improvement
            2002 750 Kat
            2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
            1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
            2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Working...
            X