Katana of the Month - April 2007 - KatanaSoldier

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Exhaust & Mod Shop

Exhaust & Mod Shop Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:33 AM   #11
Parts man
Poser

Like kr said. .u can have a meltdown I had the same thing happened to me with a 91 fzr. ..I wasn't sure what I was doing at that time

Good idea on the center stand...makes life a lot simpler

Last edited by Parts man; 11-16-2018 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Parts man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:56 AM   #12
y2ktj
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katanarider View Post
Besides your ability to fabricate, I'm not sure if we completely answered your question the way you meant to understand it. I personally would only use stock dual exhaust to keep from re-jetting. Thats not to say you can't use a stock 4-1 made for later model 600-750 Katanas , just as long as you use the stock muffler too. If you use a aftermarket muffler with stock headers, I'd still re-jet just to be on the safe side, but thats just me. This is where I feel we left you hanging unsure. You need to be absolutely positive here, so continue to do research. Otherwise you'll melt your pistons and waste what would have been a perfectly good running bike. I see katanas for sale on Craigslist all the time with swapped exhaust and the seller is like, all that its needed is the carbs need to be rebuilt. When what has actually happened is the motor has overheated a lost compression.
Thanks for adding more to the topic and after your post I feel back where I started. So let me ask the question again. Used parts for the bike are hard to come by here. The local salvage has some and I haven't checked on exhaust parts yet. The bike is on a tight budget since the family comes first and the Jeep second so the bike sees the leftovers. It's not nothing but I don't really want to spend 600 on exhaust for a bike I paid 50 for. I'm just trying to get it running so I can ride it. I dont want to kill the motor either. I thought finding a post header and pan might be easier since there might be more around. But maybe finding a couple cans similar to the stock ones might be the way to go.

Been looking at center stands but shipping to Canada is ridiculous. as example cheapest fuse block I could find wa s 10 and they wanted 50 to ship.

Once its running and I have some seat time I wont have a problem throwing a little cash at it. As it stands now the bike last saw pavement more than 10 years ago and needs all kinds of maintenance. Tires look good but are ancient and should be replaced. Same goes for brakes, cables, seals ect. Was hoping to make what I have work for the exhaust but as I thought its more important than replacing car exhaust. I'm in no hurry so I'll do more research and appreciate the input.

Last edited by y2ktj; 11-16-2018 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
y2ktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 AM   #13
Parts man
Poser

Wait??what! ! $50 to ship a fuse block.....omg

Y2 I really feel for you...always try the simple stuff first as you know. Make sure the carbs and tank are clean. This is the best site to find most anything for our bikes..and if you see anything posted by the cyber poet (may he r.i.p.)read it!! I've seen that this guy was amazing with bikes

Last edited by Parts man; 11-16-2018 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Parts man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 AM   #14
y2ktj
Rookie

Yeah on Ebay. Shipping to Canada from small businesses like bike salvage shops can be crazy. Friends husband lives in Washington and had it shipped to him and she brought it over. Cant do that with bigger stuff. I'm on Vancouver island too so I cant ship to po box. There is a company that I've used before that charges 40 for up to 50lbs so if I get multiple items shipped from the same place for free it's not to bad. Haven't had luck looking for used parts in Canada.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:58 AM   #15
katanarider
Kat Daddy

If I were you, I'd just go ahead and jet the carbs. Shipping on a jet set can't be as bad as a heavy exhaust kit. This way you can avoid a real bike muffler all together. That is, if you can get it to pass street inspection where you live. I know here in the USA, a bike exhaust (atleast our old bikes) just has to have a small piece of obstruction material in the pipe to be considered a muffler ( fuck you California ) Its amazing how much you can get away with on motorcycles in the rest of the 49 states...lol See youtube where guys just weld car exhaust chrome tips to the end of the pipe and call it a muffler.
Trust when I say, go ahead and get the center stand now unless you already have some other way to lift the bike for maintenance. They are worth the money you'll spend for shipping, no doubt !
Old 11-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #16
Kreylyn
Kat King
Supporting Member

eBay ID: Kreylyn

I'll simplify the answer for you.

The header is the primary concern and effect on flow.

You can Y pipe the stock headers just past the oil pan and run custom mid pipe to any can you want that has been used on a 600+ sized engine.

Now more details on doing that...

If your using a stock header, then you can get away with a shim of the needles instead of a jet kit for small adjustment. This doesn't replace the better shaped needles in a FP jet kit, but then peeps use the shitty shaped DJ kit needles and fan boy about them all the time. But it can work. Shim with #4 washers. Most hardware stores carry packs of them, so that's a cheap work around for the US stock needles not being adjustable.

I agree with the center stand being there for the formation of the exhaust, helps you make sure not a clearance issue later and also you can locate to place the bumper for the center stand stop point.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #17
y2ktj
Rookie

Thanks for more info krey I appreciate it. I was thinking of doing just that with the pipe. Few bucks for pipe and my time. I'll have to do some research on jetting as I only read through carbs 101 quickly. You mention us neddles. I'm guessing that even if my bike was bought in Canada it is the same as a us model. I researched the Vin when I got the bike but that was 5 years ago so I'll have to again. I've been looking for a center stand and my understanding is only a pre one will work. Now does it have to be for a 600? or will is a 750 stand the same? I ask because one I saw on Ebay said it was for both.
I've got lots more questions coming so maybe time for a build thread. So to all those that have answered thank you. Any and all advice is welcome.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #18
Kreylyn
Kat King
Supporting Member

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ktj View Post
Thanks for more info krey I appreciate it. I was thinking of doing just that with the pipe. Few bucks for pipe and my time. I'll have to do some research on jetting as I only read through carbs 101 quickly. You mention us neddles. I'm guessing that even if my bike was bought in Canada it is the same as a us model. I researched the Vin when I got the bike but that was 5 years ago so I'll have to again. I've been looking for a center stand and my understanding is only a pre one will work. Now does it have to be for a 600? or will is a 750 stand the same? I ask because one I saw on Ebay said it was for both.
I've got lots more questions coming so maybe time for a build thread. So to all those that have answered thank you. Any and all advice is welcome.
US needles will have a single eclip location. If you have more than 1 eclip option then you have either non US needles or a Jet kit installed.

Same center stand for 600/750, there are no differences due to CC size for those two.

Pre and post are slightly different, but there is at least one thread of someone modifying to fit the other. If you can weld and do simple metal work, that's a rather easy modification option. The bolt mount points match up, it's the spring mounting that varies between the two pre/post.

Krey
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:24 PM   #19
y2ktj
Rookie

That's good news. A lot more post stand out there. I'll see if I can find the thread. If it's just the spring mount I can do that easy. A lot dont come with the spring but probably should be replaced anyway. Besides that is there anything else to look for.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:37 AM   #20
y2ktj
Rookie

Found the thread. Easy job thanks.
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Exhaust & Mod Shop