X

Bell Helmets, any good?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell Helmets, any good?

My wife and I are going to our ABATE class in August, so we're looking at some gear right now. I've seen Bell helmets for a good price, and that's also the brand of my cage helmet and I like the way it fits.

So, are their good bike helmets too?

yeah just dont get the ones WAL MART carries

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

No wally-world gear. Got it!

BTW, what are the latest SNELL and DOT ratings?

Comment

A note on the Walmart Bell helmet. It's "decent" for a cheap-o helmet.

I have the Bell Zepher they sell for $70. Padding on the top of the head is lacking and the pockets for the ears arent nearly deep enough if you have ears. Wind noise was ok at 65mph.

I bought mine to use for drag racing at the track in my car.

I tried on a Scorpion EXO700 this weekend and there is a NIGHT and DAY difference between these helmets. The Scorpion felt lighter, the padding in general was much more substantial. My ears didnt feel pinned to the side of my head and visibility seemed a little better.

You can get a new Scorpion EXO700 for $130 shipped.

Unless you're just not planning on wearing a helmet after your class, Id get something nicer than the Bell helmets.

Comment

Oh, I would definitely buy helmet intended for bike use.

My brother has a fat head so his helmet didn't fit me, but it was night and day different as far as weight and feel between his bike helmet and my car helmet.

I'll look into the EXOs and see what I think. Thanks for the recomendation.

Comment

I have owned the Bell Mag 8 for a few years now.

I found it comfortable and affordable.

Its had some decent reviews... http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/bell-mag-8/

But it is open face, not everyones cup of tea...

Personaly, I switched to a Symax2.
            2005 750 Katana
            sigpic

Comment

IMO, the Bell doesn't fit nearly as well as my HJC.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Bell helmets was one of the better brands in the eighties than they fell off for a while but in the last couple of years they are trying to make a comeback I have hear that their recent helmets are very decent for the price
                sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

yeah bell is on of the top names. i have not tried all of there line but i know the one that walmart used to sell (they are starting to carry a cheaper unknown brand as the bell stock runs out) feels short in the chin area
                  92 GSXF750
                  83 nighthawk

Comment

I bought a Wal-Mart Bell starting out three years ago and took it back after a week; just wasn't quality. I went to a dealership then and paid $120 for a plain white Fulmer with a full face, then a year later upgraded it for a $130 Fulmer modular, which means the front is hinged and lifts up, which is convenient. In October I high-sided and hit the pavement face-first at 65 mph and rolled seven times. All I got was road rash and two sprained ankles. The Fulmer gave full protection and I'll wear a Fulmer from now on.

I would recommend a full-face helmet. Had I not been wearing a full-face in October, I'd be auditioning for The Phantom of the Opera.
                    Last edited by zuma; 06-04-2008, 01:09 PM. Reason: pendejo typing

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

very helpful.

Comment

I went from HJC to Bell Sprint Mako
                        Motorcyles508 on ebay may sell you one for $100 total, he did for me.
                        Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                        '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                        '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                        '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                        I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Working...
                        X