X
X

How to: A Streetfighter Speedometer Solution w/ Pics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Sigma's have backlights. I went for the $10 Schwinn version and got a semi fail!
    The plastic is a little too. Also over 70 MPH the speedo skips and starts to display 50MPH..

But I worked out some ideas and like the look, so I'll spring for a good Sigma..

Comment

Peter, I had the exact same thing happen with my $10 speedo from WalMart. It would get to 69 but went nuts after that. My buddy took my bike up to near the top of 6th and he said it read 45 mph. LOL.

I'm debating on which one to get next for my fighter.

Comment

I think until you get into the big bucks (over $50) Sigma is the way to go.
        It looks like they have all the features.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          Some Sigma's have backlights. I went for the $10 Schwinn version and got a semi fail!
          The plastic is a little too. Also over 70 MPH the speedo skips and starts to display 50MPH..

But I worked out some ideas and like the look, so I'll spring for a good Sigma..
          oh yeah? i didnt know that.
          i saw on at a local bicycle shop the other day for $17. forget the company who makes it... probably going to pick one up today.

just need a tag light now lol

Comment

Glad I read this, I have one on my bike and I measured the tires diameter instead of circumfrence(sp?). Seemed accurate until about 40 or so then did the skipping backwards thing, ill re-enter the size then hopefully itll be a little more accurate at higher speeds.

Comment

hey i want to mount dual lights as well do you have any suggestions on how to do this. Thamks.

Comment

i have such speedo on my bike
                but i bolted the magnet right in one of the three holes on the rim(on the spike)
                Live to ride,
                Ride KATANA!

Comment

Originally posted by Spindrift187 View Post
                  Glad I read this, I have one on my bike and I measured the tires diameter instead of circumfrence(sp?). Seemed accurate until about 40 or so then did the skipping backwards thing, ill re-enter the size then hopefully itll be a little more accurate at higher speeds.
                  That is actually the pick up missing the magnet.
                  Either you have a weak magnet or you need to get the sensor closer.

Mine does this at 70mph, it goes; 69, 70, 59, 55 ,45

Comment

going to try this soon! thanks for the thread.

Comment

Def. doing this on my bike...just got all the lights and stuff off. I hate waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail.

Side note: Anyone know what is and isn't street legal in massachusetts?

Comment

Originally posted by payninater View Post
                        Def. doing this on my bike...just got all the lights and stuff off. I hate waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail.

Side note: Anyone know what is and isn't street legal in massachusetts?
                        I think the MSF has a listing of what is and isn't

Comment

Kewl

I definitely need to look that up. Or I could just mount my GPS. Man, now u got me thinking.

Comment

Thanks for the write up this is a good idea.

Comment

Just a lil warning from a long time cyclist: The displays on a lot of these computers are not heat resistant at all. If you park your bike in the middle of the day, when you get back the numbers will be faded to near invisible. Once you get going and get some airflow to cool the display the numbers will come back.

EDIT: But on one computer I had, they never came back...

Comment

Originally posted by Lorelei View Post
                                Just a lil warning from a long time cyclist: The displays on a lot of these computers are not heat resistant at all. If you park your bike in the middle of the day, when you get back the numbers will be faded to near invisible. Once you get going and get some airflow to cool the display the numbers will come back.

EDIT: But on one computer I had, they never came back...
                                With the SIGMA models you can remove the computer and throw it in your backpack or pocket on days like this.

On a note for those interested, I just installed one on my bike, and instead of using the magnet that came with it I bought a larger magnet sold by Sigma. It's safe for all models and increases the distance between the magnet and the pick up. I bought the 1106 model and bigger magnet at a local bike shop for about $30 total.
                                -------------

Comment

Working...
                                X