Repairing damaged vintage Kat fairing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing damaged vintage Kat fairing

Hi Gang,

I've got this old '83 Katana. The fairing has significant damage. I'm going to work on fixing it myself, but this'll be a first time DIY for me.

The front seems to be an older, thick, ridged plastic. The side covers are thinner. What's the best method? I'll be eliminating the turn signal mounts altogether...

Do not quote me on this, but the "newer" Kats fairings are ABS. If the same material is used 92xjunker had repair kits he was selling.

If he chimes in he can give you more info.
    2002 750 Kat
    2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
    1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
    2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
      Do not quote me on this, but the "newer" Kats fairings are ABS. If the same material is used 92xjunker had repair kits he was selling.

If he chimes in he can give you more info.
      Thanks!

Yes, definitely want to get a plastic welding kit, just want to get the right one.

Comment

I'm here...... The kits are free to KR members....I think I may have 1 or 2 still around. It is an ABS filler type kit with a couple small sheets of ABS, with instuctions. You will need acetone. You can see what the patch kit will do here. Post #28 http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134329&page=5. These fairing were melted across the front real bad, heat gun, a roller wheel to get it close then I repaired the rough fairing and holes with it.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          I'm here...... The kits are free to KR members....I think I may have 1 or 2 still around. It is an ABS filler type kit with a couple small sheets of ABS, with instuctions. You will need acetone. You can see what the patch kit will do here. Post #28 http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134329&page=5. These fairing were melted across the front real bad, heat gun, a roller wheel to get it close then I repaired the rough fairing and holes with it.
          Man, I would love to get a kit. May I?

Comment

PM me your address. I see your damage, what's under that plate? Large or small hole? I may be able to add more sheets.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              PM me your address. I see your damage, what's under that plate? Large or small hole? I may be able to add more sheets.
              Looks like turn signal mounting hole busted out.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                Looks like turn signal mounting hole busted out.
                Exactly
                Last edited by versicat; 03-30-2017, 09:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

3m glue 04247, you can create miracles with that stuff. I've made many new tabs and repairs to save deductibles with that stuff. Dries fast, easy sand, and very durable.
                  sigpic

Comment

Bumper epoxy urethane works also, just damn expensive.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                    X