X

Project "Historical Racer"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bkohs View Post
    If there are dull spots. let it sit for a couple days. The paint will dull a little due to curing. if you give it like 2 days the paint should be, for the most part, done. at that point you can wet sand (with a very fine grit) and buff it. for buffing I would use a slightly heavy rubbing compound first then use a finishing glaze (its basically just a low abrasive compound). DONT WAX IT. you'll have to wait about 3 months before you put any wax on there. Waxing is a very good way to ruin a great paint job. It can pull fresh paint and can cause it to bubble and peel. it also slows down the curing process because it doesn't allow the paint to breath. when it's time to wax, hit it with the finishing glaze first then give it a couple good coats of wax.

everything came out great so far. I cant wait to see it all come together. it's gonna look sick.

1500 or higher sand paper?
    which rubbing compound and finishing glaze do you suggest?

thanks
    Last edited by DNLT; 03-02-2014, 03:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Finally I can put the parts temporarily on the bike, and the look is sick!!! so happy

within the next two weeks the bike will complete with buffing, white painted rims and a couple of stickers.

at that point hopefully I will take some good pictures outside.. rather than in a garage

IMG_20140228_190714.jpg

IMG_20140302_120629.jpg

IMG_20140302_120638.jpg

IMG_20140302_120651.jpg

IMG_20140302_121032.jpg

Comment

Nice, great paint job!

Hope those pod filters work out for you, haven't heard of many having much luck with them on Kats.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by DNLT View Post
          1500 or higher sand paper?
          which rubbing compound and finishing glaze do you suggest?

thanks
          The wet sanding, it will depend on how rough the surface is. There have been a few times that I started with 1000 and worked my way up to 3000 (not saying you have to go that high it's all in how you want it to look). Just remember the rougher the paint is the more clear you'll have to remove to smooth it out so you'll have to use your best judgment and start where you're comfortable. Also keep in mind the lower the grit the quicker you'll burn through the clear so take it slow.
          for compound and glaze I used to only use 3M products, but I've been using a lot of Meguiars stuff recently. Their "Ultimate Compound" works great I've even used it, by hand (no polisher), to get rid of oxidation. Then their SwirlX is a good glaze. After using those I usually use their quick detailer with a microfiber cloth to clean everything up. I started using them after seeing a few videos on youtube. One guy even restored 40 year old single stage paint by hand with it. After seeing that I was sold.

Everything looks great on the bike. Also, after seeing the pictures it made me think it would look nice with an oil cooler grille on there and then paint it white. Just a thought.
          Last edited by Bkohs; 03-04-2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Wow. I've never much of a fan of bikes that have had their front-fairing parts removed if they came from the factory like that but Jesus Christ man I'd ride the everlasting **** out of your bike. That is a sick paintjob and I love the look of the front. Only complaint I have is that a few horizontal lines on the front fairings might have looked nice IMO. Only bit of constructive criticism on that paint job, though.
            - Purplehaze
            All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
              Wow. I've never much of a fan of bikes that have had their front-fairing parts removed if they came from the factory like that but Jesus Christ man I'd ride the everlasting **** out of your bike. That is a sick paintjob and I love the look of the front. Only complaint I have is that a few horizontal lines on the front fairings might have looked nice IMO. Only bit of constructive criticism on that paint job, though.

thanks so much!

which front fairing?

Originally posted by Bkohs View Post
              The wet sanding, it will depend on how rough the surface is. There have been a few times that I started with 1000 and worked my way up to 3000 (not saying you have to go that high it's all in how you want it to look). Just remember the rougher the paint is the more clear you'll have to remove to smooth it out so you'll have to use your best judgment and start where you're comfortable. Also keep in mind the lower the grit the quicker you'll burn through the clear so take it slow.
              for compound and glaze I used to only use 3M products, but I've been using a lot of Meguiars stuff recently. Their "Ultimate Compound" works great I've even used it, by hand (no polisher), to get rid of oxidation. Then their SwirlX is a good glaze. After using those I usually use their quick detailer with a microfiber cloth to clean everything up. I started using them after seeing a few videos on youtube. One guy even restored 40 year old single stage paint by hand with it. After seeing that I was sold.

Everything looks great on the bike. Also, after seeing the pictures it made me think it would look nice with an oil cooler grille on there and then paint it white. Just a thought.
              perfect info the finishing touches!

i didnt think about the oil cooler... I will see if I can find a grille for cheap and see how it looks like

thanks
              Last edited by DNLT; 03-11-2014, 08:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Any chance of painting the hl bezel
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by DNLT View Post
                  i didnt think about the oil cooler... I will see if I can find a grille for cheap and see how it looks like
                  thanks
                  Any hardware store sells the material that works perfectly for a cooler cover. It's meant for the lower section of screaned in patios or porches. it's only like $10-$15 for enough material to make 4 or 5 grilles. The only thing you'll have to find is something to cover teh edges so you dont run the risk of cutting yourself up. I once found some small rubber tubing that had a slice down it. I used that and some RTV sealer to attatch it. it looke like a professionally built piece when i was done. total cost was about $35 but i was able to make a couple extra and sold them for $20 each. So I guess technically it was free in the end.
                  Last edited by Bkohs; 03-12-2014, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I like it.

I'm planning something similar with my 750, but the '00 tail section doesn't lend itself to trimming like the older gen ones did.

I'm having to deal with (meaning replace) the bee-stinger tail light too...
                    -Chris
                    **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

Any updates on the bike? how's it coming?

Comment

hi guys!!!! Im back!

over the last month.. I got a PhD, moved from West Virginia to Connecticut, and started a new job....
                        having said that... finally today I worked on the bike! actually I just finished.

Lucky enough the paintjob didnt need much afterwork, just a little bit of polishing compound (hand buffing) and then quick detailer from Meguiars (with clay bar).

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product/4579

I cant believe but now it is smooth as glass.

the only thing left now are the rims, most likely I will be able to repaint them within 2 weeks from now.

the grill may be a good idea, I will it give a chance

the lights in the new house do not allow for decent pictures, over the weekend I should be able to take some serious pictures with a good camera and post them.

She s ready to go back on the road!

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                        Nice, great paint job!

Hope those pod filters work out for you, haven't heard of many having much luck with them on Kats.
                        they look good! it they wont work fine I will put back the airbox, I dont want to charge carburetors just to keep the pods

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                        Any chance of painting the hl bezel
                        the bezel is nice and chromed... I dont think I want to paint it
                        Last edited by DNLT; 04-01-2014, 10:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Congrats on the PhD, move and job.
                          I'm really looking forward to seeing it with the wheels done and all.

Comment

Ok finally today I could take some good pictures!!!

the only thing left are to repaint the rims and put back the front fender.
                            I hope its done by next weekend!

Comment

Hi guys,

the bike rides fine... but probably before the summer kicks in I may want to updrage both front and rear suspensions. In particular, I would like to put inverted forks at the front.

which brand and model do you suggest?

can the 93 GSXR (or other years) parts fit on my bike?

thanks

Comment

Looks great. Suggestion, since you made the dash,you could probably make a housing to cover the wiring and gauges from the front. Everything else is coming off with great taste for a naked Kat and the exposed gauges and wiring could be turned into something else to draw your eyes from the frame ( IMHO the one place I have not seen someone correct. Specifically from the steering head to were the two frame pieces bend and follow the bike length wise). It seems the best naked Kats ( yours I would include ) include fantastic work that makes you look at that work instead of that portion of the frame. I would love to see someone possibly do some fiberglass work to make a cover that covers the upper portion of the frame, fills in the lower portion of the gas tank and makes a clean ending were the rear bodywork begins. That would also allow more room to make the paintwork do something special. That came to mind looking at the bike you got the paint theme from.
                                I had a hard time not jumping ahead to see how you were going to work the paint theme in. You did a great job. The idea of the chin piece was great and looks fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                                X