X

My first trackday.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first trackday.

This past sunday (28th) I attended my first trackday on the kat at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI. My dad and brother also attended with their ZX-6R's. We all rode in the Novice class, but in different groups. Unfortunately, we had no one there to take pics since we were all on track at the same time, and there was no track photographer there either.

The track: www.gingermanraceway.com

Gingerman is a very tight, somewhat unforgiving track. If you turn in early on pretty much any of the corners and run wide, you're off in the grass. I did it twice out of turn two. It actually rewards a late turn in. Most people were referring to it as a point-and-shoot type track, since it doesn't have a lot of flow to it like bigger tracks. Personally, I think it is great for a smaller displacement bike (500-750cc). The liter bikes carried so much speed through the two straights that they had to brake way earlier than us slower 600's, which is when we could overtake them by braking late or downshifting enough to not brake at all in a few turns.

Regarding the kat and my progress:

I was fairly impressed with how well I could hang with most of the riders in the novice group. There were of course a few faster than me, but I was far from being the slowest out there. I got the usual snickers out of a few riders when they saw me roll up on the 'tuna'. Then I rightfully handed their azzes to them on the track. That was gratifying. With the aid of track coaches following and critiquing what I was doing, I was able to improve and move up a couple groups throughout the day. (I started in group 5 of 6, since it was my first ever trackday.) The final session of the day, I went out with the group 1 coach. We were allowed to pretty much let it all hang out the last 2 sessions, witht he only rule being no passing in the turns. You could dive in if you had the room, but you had better have the space tomake it happen. Otherwise it was kept to corner exits and straights. The only place I got overtaken was on the straights by big cc bikes. My brother passed me once on the front straight, but he told me he played hell trying to catch me through the back corner section(5-10). One other thing I nearly forgot...I did this trackday running Shinko Advance 005 radials. Never even thought twice about them, stuck great and never gave any signs of giving up.

All in all, I had a great day and learned a LOT. I highly recommend STT for your on track instruction school if you get the chance. They are a great group of people, and the track coaches are better at telling you what you did right than what you did 'wrong'. www.sportbiketracktime.com

Now I need to go order some new toe sliders for my boots....I could probably get another day out of the knee pucks though.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

nice Teddy. I had forgot that you said you were going to the track. Shame on you for no pics. You didn't even get any handing around the pits? Bad Teddy.

Seems like your track day formats are a little different than up here. Typically we have 3 groups (Beginner, intermediate, advanced) that run in 20 minute sessions. There is usually about 20-30 bikes in each group depending on the track.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

What? No pics?

Mods-----Can teddy be banned for that? hehe JK teddy. Sounds like fun, thanks for sharing.
      THE DOC
      RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
      Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
      mistake when you make it again.
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I know what you mean about othe rpeople snickering at the Kat. Everybody I ride with on the street rides 4 year old or newer SS bikes, a few 600's but mostly 1000's. When I first came out to ride with the group, they took one look at the bike, and were telling me "don't worry, we'll stop once in a while and wait for you to catch up". About halfway through our first ride, they were all fairly suprised that I was still there right in the middle of the pack (after about 45 miles of tight canyon roads). On longer straights the new bikes will walk away from the Katanas, but at least on the streets, it handles good enough to hold it's own fine as long as the rider has enough experience and confidence in the bikes abilities to push it in the twisties.
        Last edited by Psycho1; 09-30-2008, 08:51 AM.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
          Seems like your track day formats are a little different than up here. Typically we have 3 groups (Beginner, intermediate, advanced) that run in 20 minute sessions. There is usually about 20-30 bikes in each group depending on the track.
          we do the same here, but the novice is then broke out into 'speed' groups.

between classroom after session, and trying to get rehydrated and/or going to the can...not much time in between well, that and i didn't take my camera...but dad had his....so it's his fault....yeah, that's it....

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
            we do the same here, but the novice is then broke out into 'speed' groups.

between classroom after session, and trying to get rehydrated and/or going to the can...not much time in between well, that and i didn't take my camera...but dad had his....so it's his fault....yeah, that's it....
            was this more of a school? what was discussed in the classroom?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

In the novice group, you get on and off track instruction through STT. It's all a part of the trackday package through them. Classroom is pretty basic. First session was based around looking through corners and finding the race line. Second session was called the one-gear-no-brakes session. Pick a gear, and use it for the whole track and no brakes, basically using the rpm of the bike to slow you down instead of braking. I found this to be the most helpful instruction of the day. It really helped me to learn to trust the tires more. Third was body positioning, fourth was follow the leader-but you were the leader, not the instructor. Fifth was passing, sixth and seventh were balls-out sessions basically.

Pics of pucks and tires....lame, but some pics nonetheless

Used the whole Shinko, baby!!

wow, chain's a little dry...oops....
              Last edited by teddy; 05-17-2009, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Video!!

not my video, but one from the same track the day before...enjoy!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Awesome ted
                  sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Next year I'm heading down to the states for a couple Trackdays.

Comment

that's cool!
                      R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Excellent!!!! I bet you had a blast

I look forward to my first track day next year
                        2007 Honda CBR600rr
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                          Excellent!!!! I bet you had a blast

I look forward to my first track day next year
                          That 600 of yours will be a wicked bike for the track next year!

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

awesome teddy .. glad you had a great time . jealous as hell too .. hope to get some time in myself next year
                            so many roads so little time

Comment

sweet video, my buddy has a video of him at track day dropping his bike, his girlfriend was following him, and tires were sliding the track, then boom down! good thing it was in a controlled area like a track and not on the road

Comment

Working...
                              X