X

Is is just easier

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is is just easier

To just swap out for a gixxer engine if I want EFI? And as a follow-up, if so, which engine offers the most performance gains?

are you talking about a gixxer fuel injected engine? good luck with that, those are water cooled engines.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
      are you talking about a gixxer fuel injected engine? good luck with that, those are water cooled engines.
      Translation:
      You should just buy a GXSR with the engine already in there.

Comment

Ok, then recommend something for me thats air cooled. (I'm assuming kat's are air cooled and not oil cooled). And were the 90's Gixxer engines still water cooled?

Comment

early 90's gixxer motors are air/oil cooled and a Katana is oil cooled, anything thats "air" cooled is air/oil cooled. Early 90's gixxers aren't fuel injected either. If you are in the market for a bigger motor get a Bandit 1200. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49487
          that should provide the information you're looking for.
          Last edited by arsenic; 01-16-2008, 09:16 PM.

Comment

everyone recommends that you use the bandit or other kat motors because they are cast from the same mold, so mountings are the same. it isn't the fact that it is fuel injected it is the fact it is smaller among other things. I guess it is easier to fit a motor that is smaller than that the original motor than one that is bigger.

it generally isn't that you can't do it, it is a matter of cost to benefit.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

otherwise find a 1127cc from the big kat

Comment

Hmm. It really seems like more trouble than it's worth. I like my Kat. I'll just buy another bike when I want more power.

Comment

So what , you just want the FI ? What gives ...
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    So what , you just want the FI ? What gives ...
                    Yeah basically...
                    But even then, it seems like that'd be a hell of a project.
                    Any insight?

Comment

Well , yeah , it'd kinda suck . I'm sure it can be done , but after all the time & expense , I doubt you'd think it was worth it . Just make the carbs work well , and it'll be just fine . Having probl;ems with 'em ?
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        Well , yeah , it'd kinda suck . I'm sure it can be done , but after all the time & expense , I doubt you'd think it was worth it . Just make the carbs work well , and it'll be just fine . Having probl;ems with 'em ?
                        Nah, they're tuned alright, I just the love the plethora of customization and upgrades that can be done and applied with and to an EFI bike.

Comment

make a megasquirts system for it, might be easier, probably cheaper, be different, havent seen one on a bike before

Comment

Originally posted by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE View Post
                            make a megasquirts system for it, might be easier, probably cheaper, be different, havent seen one on a bike before
                            I have basic build skills and I really feel that that is far over my head. Especially if no one has ever done it on a bike, I'd have no one to ask in an emergency. Oh and I'm assuming, from their website, that that product essentially transforms Carb'ed engines to EFI?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                              early 90's gixxer motors are air/oil cooled and a Katana is oil cooled, anything thats "air" cooled is air/oil cooled. Early 90's gixxers aren't fuel injected either. If you are in the market for a bigger motor get a Bandit 1200. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49487
                              that should provide the information you're looking for.
                              There are fully air cooled engines. If there's no oil cooler, it's just air cooled. If there is, it's air/oil cooled. An example of the former is many of the early GSs. While oil does play some role in cooling, it's nowhere near as much as on a GSXF.

Originally posted by Disturbedperson View Post
                              I have basic build skills and I really feel that that is far over my head. Especially if no one has ever done it on a bike, I'd have no one to ask in an emergency. Oh and I'm assuming, from their website, that that product essentially transforms Carb'ed engines to EFI?
                              A few people have done it on bikes, I'll post a link to some later in the day when I have time to find it.

And it isn't a product that does anything, other than manage an EFI setup. It tells the injectors when to pulse and how much to pulse, and can also tell the plugs when to fire. That's about it. You'd need to do a custom wiring harness, and use the throttle bodies and injectors off of a bike that's already EFI.

I'd say more people have megasquirted cars that were already EFI than ones that had a carb (or multiple carbs). It's a great tool for tuning turbocharged cars, because it can self-tune for a specific AFR.
                              Last edited by Junkie; 01-24-2008, 09:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              -Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X