Tools for the Kat when touring... looking for suggestions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for the Kat when touring... looking for suggestions

Hi All,

Here is what I have on the Kat all under the seat. Please look at my list and let me know if this is overkill or if I have overlooked anything that you believe that I should add.

3/8" ratchet with 10 - 19mm sockets
    3/8 to 1/4" socket adapter
    5 - 10mm 1/4" drive sockets
    8mm - 19mm combo stubby wrenches
    small vise grips (4 inch)
    small Channel Locks (6 inch)
    regular size slip joint pliers
    stubby bit driver (with two bit driver extensions)
    Flat (small and med), Phillips (1, 2 & 3) & hex tips 4 - 8mm bits for driver
    3/8" universal joint for ratchet
    3 inch 3/8 inch extension for ratchet
    3M Electrical tape
    20 feet 18 gauge automotive wire
    tire plug kit
    a few 8" zip ties (wire ties)
    two shop type paper towels
    two small hand towel sized shop rags

Other items I plan to add are wire cutters, tire pump (this I know I can't get under the seat) and circuit tester.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
    If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

the cyberpoet created a great write up which includes a link for recommendations of what tools to have on a road trip. here it is...

One who is a Samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night... the fact that he has to die." -- The Code of the Samurai

Comment

I'd ditch a few of those (ALL your pliers you mentioned , the u-joint adapter , the stubby driver , and just get a multi bit screwdriver with extra bits). Here's what I like .....
      I have the stock toolkit . I just added a few things . Sockets (6[probably won't get much use out of that one] ,8,10,11[don't remember why I put that in there],12,14,17,18deep,21) and 2 different extensions , plus some allen bits (4,5,5.5,6), needlenose pliers , needlenose vicegrips , 17&19 box wrenches , telescoping magnet , wire brush , multibit screwdriver , flatblade screwdriver in JUST the right size . Then I have a large screwdriver that's my road prybar/hammer that don't fit in the bag , and bent-nose pliers (GREAT for pulling plug wires and hoses) . All this less the big screwdriver and bent-nose pliers fit in this little pouch I got ....

Oh , and I know I told you to ditch the u-joint , but I still got mine in there . I have actually NEVER used it , and this has been my kit for YEARS .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I don't carry much more than the original equipment tool kit. Any repair that requires more than that is going to require parts which I don't have with me.

I do carry a tire patching kit and a pump.

Also I would include a simple test light for diagnosing electrical problems - or a small multimeter.

The Katana is a reliable bike unlike the old bikes from the 60s and 70s that required a lot of wrenching.

Comment

I have a hand full of tools that I carry, but the most important tool that I have is a little LED flashlight that I carry in my jacket pocket at all times. It weight nothing and is only 1inch long and 1/8 inch thick but comes in hand quit often. cant fix what you cant see.

Comment

On long trips I carry a small 12V tire pump that actually fits in the OE tool box just behind the battery. That way I never have to worry about a flat. I bought it from a bargin shop store and removed all the plastic housing. Works like a champ

Also
            clear visor
            OEM tool kit
            mini ratchet with hex bits ~ complete screw driver bits
            8mm - 14mm combo wrenches
            small vise grips
            small pliers/wire cutters
            JB weld epoxy
            3M Electrical tape
            Spare master links and two main links
            safety wire
            tire gauage
            tire plug kit
            assorted zip ties (wire ties)
            latex gloves
            spare fuses
            mini maglight
            a few spare nuts, bolts and washers

Everything I carry abovefits under the seat with the compressor. So stuff I like the visor I put in the space between the fram and plastics, some of the other stuff is tucked up in the tail infromt of the tail light bracket.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by jgalar
              I don't carry much more than the original equipment tool kit. Any repair that requires more than that is going to require parts which I don't have with me.
              Oh , I beg to differ .
              Yeah , the flashlight is a good one I forgot about . My phone has one built in (cheap little LED , but works) , so I never think about it . But on longer trips I have the headlamp LED that's GREAT . Not only is it bright , but you don't get slobber all over your flashlight .

Comment

Originally posted by ronin
                the cyberpoet created a great write up which includes a link for recommendations of what tools to have on a road trip. here it is...

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21040
                The direct link for the underseat tool thread where I discuss (& posted pics) of what I carry is here:

As for specific suggestions for 40something:
                Consider obsoleting the 3/8" ratchet and either go with a 1/4" ratchet of higher quality (along with the sockets for it or with a 1/4-to-3/8 adaptor), OR carry a micrometer torque wrench instead (something with a valid range of 6 to 50 ft-lbs, or 50-400 inch-lbs). I haven't found a cost-effective short torque wrench with a low-enough range to hit 6 ft-lbs, or I'd carry that... I did just stumble across a torque screwdriver at Sears' website (Sears item #00934887000) -- but damn it's pricey!). I have yet to repair something on the road that actually required sockets though (just a thought).
                Scrap the 18 gauge and get 16 or 14 gauge wire. If you burn out the stock 18 gauge used in much of the bike, you'll wish you had thicker replacement wire.
                Scrap the electrical tape and replace it with self-sealing silicone tape, such as Resque Tape. It still works as electrical tape, but it has a whole lot of other uses in a pinch.
                Consider carrying a very small multi-meter. HarborFreight carries quite small digital onces.
                Where's the wobble-tip allen keys? Those are probably the single most critical tool, because you need allen keys to access virtually anything else.
                6 feet of spare fuel line will let you get fuel out of cars if you run out far from a gas station. Beats leaving the bike behind to get a gas can, and really beats pushing the bike for miles on end.
                shove in at least one much longer (24 - 36") zip-tie. Those have been so useful that I doff my hat to MD86 for suggesting it.
                Multi-tool (Leatherman-style). Home Depot always has Husky ones cheap if you don't want to splurge on Leatherman style prices. I have a habit of buying too many of these things -- the last one I picked up specifically because it had both a bit holder and JIS standard phillips bits ($15 Husky multitool).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CyberPoet wrote

As for specific suggestions for 40something:
                  Arrow Consider obsoleting the 3/8" ratchet and either go with a 1/4" ratchet of higher quality (along with the sockets for it or with a 1/4-to-3/8 adaptor), OR carry a micrometer torque wrench instead (something with a valid range of 6 to 50 ft-lbs, or 50-400 inch-lbs). I haven't found a cost-effective short torque wrench with a low-enough range to hit 6 ft-lbs, or I'd carry that... I did just stumble across a torque screwdriver at Sears' website (Sears item #00934887000) -- but damn it's pricey!). I have yet to repair something on the road that actually required sockets though (just a thought).
                  Arrow Scrap the 18 gauge and get 16 or 14 gauge wire. If you burn out the stock 18 gauge used in much of the bike, you'll wish you had thicker replacement wire.
                  Arrow Scrap the electrical tape and replace it with self-sealing silicone tape, such as Resque Tape. It still works as electrical tape, but it has a whole lot of other uses in a pinch.
                  Arrow Consider carrying a very small multi-meter. HarborFreight carries quite small digital onces.
                  Arrow Where's the wobble-tip allen keys? Those are probably the single most critical tool, because you need allen keys to access virtually anything else.
                  Arrow 6 feet of spare fuel line will let you get fuel out of cars if you run out far from a gas station. Beats leaving the bike behind to get a gas can, and really beats pushing the bike for miles on end.
                  Arrow shove in at least one much longer (24 - 36") zip-tie. Those have been so useful that I doff my hat to MD86 for suggesting it.
                  Arrow Multi-tool (Leatherman-style). Home Depot always has Husky ones cheap if you don't want to splurge on Leatherman style prices. I have a habit of buying too many of these things -- the last one I picked up specifically because it had both a bit holder and JIS standard phillips bits ($15 Husky multitool).
                  I was wrong on the wire it is 16 gauge and I have the 3/8 to 1/4 adapter. I have the allen key hex set for the screwdriver just not the wobble set even though I have been looking at those. The fuel line is a great idea and I will add some longer zip ties. I have the Swiss Army version of the leatherman that goes on any trip over a couple of hours with me in any wheeled contraption. I have added an auto circuit tester and will look at multi meters. I also carry a minimag light and a led light that clips to the visor of my cap on every trip along with the multitool.

I have done some touring in the past on cruisers and a Goldwing but never thought to add tools as things never broke on those bikes, but since getting involved in a Disaster Relief Ministry (Chainsaw work) through the church I have learned to carry a lot of extra stuff as it seems you always have at least one saw breakdown. Just trying to apply the same lessons to the bike.

I would like to thank all of you for your responses and I am sure that with your suggestions I should have everything that I need and if not well that's the way it goes.
                  If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

It's my general experience that anyone who stocks up their bike heavily on repair tools rarely, if ever, need them -- the same mentality that makes them stock up usually causes them to have all their maintenance done quite well before they ever roll away from home (MD86 excepted).

Have you looked into the Fumoto valve mod yet?

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      the same mentality that makes them stock up usually causes them to have all their maintenance done quite well before they ever roll away from home (MD86 excepted).
                      Whaddya trying to say here . I oil my chain RELIGIOUSLY , tires get clean when need be and pressures checked DAILY , as do my mirrors and headlight , parking spot gets checked for too much oil . What else do you need ?

Comment

I'm saying I would have resolved my carb issues, whatever it took (even a new bike) before I rolled out. You slogged on for a couple years with trying to tinker them back to what they should be.
                        No insult, just reality there... I wouldn't have settled/tolerated/been at peace with it/etc. (whatever choice of words you care to use) enough to roll out that way for a long road-trip.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Oh , I was never at peace with it , believe me . Hell , I even did an engine swap last year just weeks before the rally thinking all was solved , only to find once I GOT there it was not . Same thing (almost) THIS year , too . I thought I had it under control , just needed some tweaking . Hell , it RAN . I dunno , the blown fork seal while we were loading into the trailer had me freaking more than the engine .

Comment

Working...
                          X