X

Alternator gasket?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator gasket?

I just wanted to see if anyone knew if the gasket between alt and engine is an o-ring Ron Ayers wants $23 for part # 31780-27X50 Which is an alt service kit. I really dont want to pay that much money for an oring. There was nothing there when pulled, so I dont have a reference. Man, I am replacing every gasket on this thing, it better not dare leak after this! Thanks in advance.

I think that's internal to the alternator body... I don't recall there being anything between the engine/gears and the alternator (or starter for that matter).
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

could very well be right, but it looks like an o-ring in the pic from ayers and looks like the groove on the alt could use an oring as well. Tried searching this with no results. Here is a pic of what I am describing, the groove is where my finger is. Thanks again for the help.
      Attached Files

Comment

you'll have to wait for someone that's had one out recently enough to remember.

MD? Keith?
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I haven't had one off in quite some time, but I don't remember a gasket being there.

Comment

Thanks, but metal against metal isnt making much sense to me though. I am def having a slight leak from this area, and it does state on the part that it is an oil seal. I just wanted to see if this was an oring or something else. If it was not then I would spend the $23. Thanks for all the help/suggestions. Anyone else???

Comment

Well, for what it's worth, this one on eBay looks like it does have an o-ring on it...

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thank you very much, should have checked ebay, doh! That is what I was looking for, not to get to a store and try to match it up. Thanks again

Comment

$19.08 at Flatout Cycle. Just a thought.
                  AAA-Anarchy, Armaggedon, Annihilation

Comment

Where/What is Flatout Cycle? Anyone know where to get a large O-Ring radius measures around 3.5"? Looked at all the hardware stores in the area and a trip to the autozone. Nothing. Any Ideas other than maybe an oil filter gasket, if that would even work? Might have to bite the bullet and spend $20 on an oring, damn!

Comment

It's a dealer in Indiana. They have online microfiche or whatever, and their prices seem lower than most. I'm cheap, so thats where I buy my parts. They have pretty good service, but I'd call first if you need it quick.
                      AAA-Anarchy, Armaggedon, Annihilation

Comment

Originally posted by 1990gsx-f750
                        Where/What is Flatout Cycle? Anyone know where to get a large O-Ring radius measures around 3.5"? Looked at all the hardware stores in the area and a trip to the autozone. Nothing. Any Ideas other than maybe an oil filter gasket, if that would even work? Might have to bite the bullet and spend $20 on an oring, damn!
                        try any shop supply store.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                            you'll have to wait for someone that's had one out recently enough to remember.

MD? Keith?
                            Yeah , it's basically a big o-ring .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hey,
                              just wondering what you figured out for a solution. My Kat just started leaking from underneath the alt im guessing its the same problem.
                              Where is the best place to get the part??
                              thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X