• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 gsx 600

Hi All

my first post for help here hope you guys can help

im in UK

i just purchase a gsx600 f 92' that has been made into a trike ( i dont have a bike license, this is as close as my mrs will let me get to having a real bike).

anyway this thing has been standing for a couple of years. the tank was totally fubar so i replaced that. cleaned the carbs out.
    i could not get the jet out thats under the rubber bung but i shot the crap out that with carb cleaner and air and a soak, put it all back together changed the plugs and cleaned the screw end of the ht plugs as they looked tarnished.

any way apart from the exhaust blowing and the front brakes seized it starts and run-ish.
    after a few mins of working okish for somthing that needs a good tune up it the throttle acts wierd almost like its got no fuel. by this is mean 1 minute you twist the throttle and the bike responds and revs up and the revs fall away as it should however after 10 minutes of running you twist the throttle and theres no engine change or revv up its like you never twisted the throttle. the revs stay idle, almost like its flooding but theres is no strong fuel smell.

if i shut it down then start it back up its ok again..

i have not removed the plugs on the a/f screws yet and i have not balanced the carbs yet, i hope to do more investigation this week , wife permitting and all that.

thanks all
    Last edited by maughanorama; 08-16-2017, 05:51 PM.

Originally posted by maughanorama View Post
    Hi All

my first post for help here hope you guys can help

im in UK

i just purchase a gsx600 f 92' that has been made into a trike ( i dont have a bike license, this is as close as my mrs will let me get to having a real bike).

anyway this thing has been standing for a couple of years. the tank was totally fubar so i replaced that. cleaned the carbs out.
    i could not get the jet out thats under the rubber bung but i shot the crap out that with carb cleaner and air and a soak, put it all back together changed the plugs and cleaned the screw end of the ht plugs as they looked tarnished.

any way apart from the exhaust blowing and the front brakes seized it starts and run-ish.
    after a few mins of working okish for somthing that needs a good tune up it the throttle acts wierd almost like its got no fuel. by this is mean 1 minute you twist the throttle and the bike responds and revs up and the revs fall away as it should however after 10 minutes of running you twist the throttle and theres no engine change or revv up its like you never twisted the throttle. the revs stay idle, almost like its flooding but theres is no strong fuel smell.

if i shut it down then start it back up its ok again..

i have not removed the plugs on the a/f screws yet and i have not balanced the carbs yet, i hope to do more investigation this week , wife permitting and all that.

thanks all
    Do a quick check on the oil (smell of fuel, or over full?).

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yer i have checked oil levels.so its very full before i start the bike however i start the bike and then shut it off the oil levels goto half way ,, i have not smelt the oil yet , i do intened on changing the oil. ill have a sniff of the oil cap when i get up (on night shift at the mo)

Comment

Just checking - when it's running for that 10 minutes - it's not stationary is it? This is an oil cooled engine. Sitting for that long can cause it to overheat.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

yer and moving but sureley it wouldnt cook that fast ?

Comment

If it's stationary, it definitely could.

Maybe not where you are, the UK isn't none for having warm weather. But where I live, definitely a possibility.

Different bike, but: On my buddies SV-650, it has a digital oil temp readout. Idling for 5 minutes when it is 70*F brings the oil temp up to 160. V twin, water cooled, yada yada, point being engines warm up quickly.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Before i do an oil change on this old beast. Stupid question...but can i use any suzuki oil filter or is their a specific one?

Comment

Ok so did the oil change and old oil stank of a mix of fuel and exhaust ?? Any way wacked in another 4.5 litres double checked ht leads basically i cut 20mm of each of them and re screwed them on the arms. Took carbs off again to check a/f screws and this is the weird bit.
                Carbs 1 and 4 are wound in so tight i cant undo them where as carb 2 and 3 i could back off wind in and then back out to 1.5 turns
                Instead of breaking anything i fitted everything back to the bike and started her up and it sounds 10000 times better. I also changed the petcock for a spare i had as i think the old one waS blocked and starving the engine.

so i still have an issue with carbs 1 and 4 a/f screws but the bike runs and all 4 pipes get hot. I will have to take the carbs off again at some point as when i was putting the fuel lines back on i thought id test the floats. Fuel line to carb 3 and 4 i cant blow down so i assume the floats are working but fuel line to carb 1 and 2 i can blow through so i think i need to pull them again and reset float heights.
                Last edited by maughanorama; 08-17-2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

4.5L of oil? That seems like too much. I've had 3 different Kay models and I don't remember any taking that much
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Well i enptied 4ltrs and it was half way in the window so i stuck in a bit extra

So am i doing this right..
                    bike off window full of oil
                    Run bike for a few mins shut bike off
                    Oil level in window at full or near to full ?
                    Last edited by maughanorama; 08-17-2017, 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Oil and filter change for me takes almost a 5L jug
                      1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                      V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                      Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Should i fill to full or let out a little so its not right up to full?..
                        Seconds thoughts ill empty a bit.. dont wanna blow any gaskets.. also anyone know what i can do to undo the a/f screws on carb 1 and 4? I dont wanna drill anything out if possible. Should i just leave em or should i penatrating oil em up and hope i can undo em
                        Last edited by maughanorama; 08-18-2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Is the bike perfectly level when you're looking at the site glass? Not on the centerstand, not on the sidestand?

I would go with penetrating oil. Drilling those out seems like it would be dicey
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Bikes been made into a trike so its always straight. Itook a pint or so out and now after running it settles 3/4 between the lines.. my next issue is seized front calipers... anyone know how to get the old pistons out... i dont have a compressor im a network engineer not a mechanic. Would it be better just to trash them and find some breaking ones or should i try to loosen em up?

Comment

Take them off the disk, hit the lever a few times to see if they meet in the caliper. Take them in half and use compressed air to finish pushing the piston out. Kat trike? Can i see a picture? Please? Lol. You may have to remove the lower lines and run a metal coat hanger thru them. I did, one of my lines was completely clogged with a dirt like rustish substance. Make sure to take the pads out to to get max extention under hydralic pressure.
                              Last edited by Mrontime; 08-18-2017, 12:15 PM.
                              We may not always win the game, but we never lose the party.

Comment

Working...
                              X