No announcement yet.
X

Best clutch, kevlar, or cork, paper..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You take the diphragms out. Under those you have two torx head screws that hold the slides in the aluminum bodies. From the float bowls, push up on the grey plastic slide that holds the jet. On that plastic tube are two o-rings (on Kat-1100s) and they are two different sizes. Suzuki doesn't sell them, nor are they even in the parts fiche. I used a set of digital calipers to get the inner diameter size. I basically sort of guessed on the outer diameter size because there is a small grove inside aluminum section that I couldn't really measure. The first time I replaced mine, I put the same size o-ring on both ends and that resulted in bubbles coming up around the brass, inside the venturi.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Do you remember the sizes of those orings you got? I’d imagine that after around 25 years, those o rings must be as stretched out as the band on some of my underwear.

Comment

I kept a digital file some where on my desktop computer but...(I'm currently on my laptop at work), from what I recall the bottom o-ring is like half a mm smaller than the top one.

Comment

I moved the bike last night for winter storage and found the idle still hanging high else lumpy low.. I remember when I balanced the carbs the manometer showed #2 missing bad at idle.. I'm wondering if it's a combination of things like a leaky float (has anyone ever had that cause bike to idle high or only die out?) And sloppy needle in emulsion tubes like you said or even the sliders them selves being too sloppy in the guides. I couldn't remove one emulsion tube because it was spinning in the guide.. that o ring at guide could be leaking now...
          '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
          '83 xj550 maxim
          '84 xvz1200
          '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
          '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

Comment

I know if you over tighten your jet it will strip the plastic guide. I was really careful to watch out for that because I read another forum member made that mistake. You know how the emulsion tube has a high edge in front of the needle, on the air filter side ? You may be able to grab that with needle nose plies and unscrew the jet that way. I'd definitely replace the guide now. Damn carbs are nerve racking...Next bike I buy is going to be fuel injected, no doubt. Having problems myself, I'm done with this shit !

EDIT: Actually, now that I put more thought into it. If your going to replace that slide, it may be more wise to use a regular pair of pliers (wide nose) and grab around the plastic slide tube in order to pinch the emulsion while still inside the plastic to remove the jet. That way your more likely not to damage the emulsion tube with needle nose pliers, like I first mentioned.
            Last edited by katanarider; 11-21-2018, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Fuel injection is the greatest thing since beer!
              I picked up my C14 in CO. Next day, I scraped the ice off the seat, it was around 33 degrees and the bike started instantly- look ma, no choke!
              After that, did a trip where I went from sea level to 12k’ with the bike running flawlessly, I was sold on FI.
              Another plus is mpg - where my kat1100 could barely eek out 40mpg, the bigger
              Faster FI bike gets 50mpg.
              Before you throw away that carbed junker, make sure the oring on the mixture screw of the offending cylinder is not leaking.

Comment

Carbs and FI

I personally love carburetors...but honestly you can't beat fuel injection. And very close to 14.7 to 1 fuel air ratio optimization

Comment

Working...
                X