X

First Overnight Trip

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Overnight Trip

This past weekend was my first overnight riding/camping trip. I went with two friends, one on a triumph speed tripple and the other on a gs500. Started off with pouring rain for the first hour then the rain cleared when we hit front royal. I am unsure of all the roads we took, as my friends are familiar with Virginia and I was following them most of the ride. We rode alot of back roads on the mountains, grabbed lunch in Harrisonburg and hit the blue ridge parkway. Most of the ride was spent on the blue ridge parkway, and man was it a georgeous ride! We ended setting up camp at the otter creek recreation area then road into lynchburg for dinner at pizza hut. After dinner we ended up getting stuck in rain for the ride back to camp. We made the best of the evening under cover from the rain conversing/debating over some beers on the porch of a shutdown building at the recreation area. That night the rider of the gs500 learned that his walmart tent specified that he needed to seal the seems to make it water proof lol. Luckily for us by morning the rains had subsided and we had oatmeal and coffee before packing up for the ride home. We all needed fuel so we ended up heading down to buena vista off the BRP for gas, WOW what a road! The road leaded down the mountain is nothing but switchbacks all the way to town almost. Needless to say we all had tire ware to the sidewalls by the time we got back on the BRP. We continued north for a good while before jumping off to grab lunch in Charlottesville. We really looked out of place walking thru the bricked "downtown" area with people dressed rather upscale and trendy, while we were grody in full riding gear lol.We ended up eating at "the nook", the food was pretty good, but nothing that really stood out. From there the triumph rider brokeoff to head for richmond and my friend and I had a rather unevenful ride home. Unfortunately we had rain for the last 2 hours but overall I think it was one hell of an adventure!

Total distance 546 miles.

Sorry for the lack of pics, not one of us brought a camera
    Last edited by 00k6; 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM.

Sounds like fun! I been wanting to get mine running good and try an overnight or two camp trip my self. May try toget a local thing going sometime..
    Im taking a camera tho!! Lol
    "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

Yep - 2 wheels ... couple of mates ... new places ... nice roads ... great scenery ... a few challenges ... and of course - beer! Sounds perfect!

Comment

sounds like "bareback mountain" lol...................................

just kidding, hope you had fun!
        "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
        2004 marauder 800

Comment

hey i know you... stop posting about the trip i missed and fix my carbs! haha

Comment

first of many. enjoy.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by 00k6 View Post
              This past weekend was my first overnight riding/camping trip. I went with two friends, one on a triumph speed tripple and the other on a gs500. Started off with pouring rain for the first hour then the rain cleared when we hit front royal. I am unsure of all the roads we took, as my friends are familiar with Virginia and I was following them most of the ride. We rode alot of back roads on the mountains, grabbed lunch in Harrisonburg and hit the blue ridge parkway. Most of the ride was spent on the blue ridge parkway, and man was it a georgeous ride! We ended setting up camp at the otter creek recreation area then road into lynchburg for dinner at pizza hut. After dinner we ended up getting stuck in rain for the ride back to camp. We made the best of the evening under cover from the rain conversing/debating over some beers on the porch of a shutdown building at the recreation area. That night the rider of the gs500 learned that his walmart tent specified that he needed to seal the seems to make it water proof lol. Luckily for us by morning the rains had subsided and we had oatmeal and coffee before packing up for the ride home. We all needed fuel so we ended up heading down to buena vista off the BRP for gas, WOW what a road! The road leaded down the mountain is nothing but switchbacks all the way to town almost. Needless to say we all had tire ware to the sidewalls by the time we got back on the BRP. We continued north for a good while before jumping off to grab lunch in Charlottesville. We really looked out of place walking thru the bricked "downtown" area with people dressed rather upscale and trendy, while we were grody in full riding gear lol.We ended up eating at "the nook", the food was pretty good, but nothing that really stood out. From there the triumph rider brokeoff to head for richmond and my friend and I had a rather unevenful ride home. Unfortunately we had rain for the last 2 hours but overall I think it was one hell of an adventure!

Total distance 546 miles.

Sorry for the lack of pics, not one of us brought a camera
              Sounds like a great trip. I live in Charlottesville. UVA had a home football game this past weekend, so that would explain the upscale and trendy folks you saw on the downtown "bricked" mall. Whenever there is a home game the yuppy crowd and yuppy want-to-be folks clutter the downtown area, usually both Saturday and Sunday.
              Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I am looking forward to many more trips, hopefully without the rain lol. Il get the carbs done dont worry! I geuss that would explain the dress code haha.

Comment

im glad we have another tourer amongst us. the kat is made for those kinds of trips. you know how to use your bike my friend.
                  2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Nice trip thanks for sharing... hopefully one day I will have my first too.

Comment

Sounds like you had a good time, first road trips are always memorable.

Comment

Working...
                      X