X

GIVI Setup on 2006

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIVI Setup on 2006

I got my GIVI 36 Liter side cases and racks from twistedthrottle.com on Thursday and got them installed Friday. These matched up well with the GIVI top case I had already installed. Please excuse the quality of the pics as these were taken in my garage as the weather outside was freezing rain that day, but they can be seen in my profile in the garage area.

So far I have ridden one day with these and didn't notice any additional problems with cross winds.

I also picked up the 3 lock set for $22.00 USD to allow me to have all 3 cases keyed the same. It takes about 10 minutes to do the side cases and about 15 for the top case.

Over all install time was about an hour, but I didn't have to remove the tail plastics due to already having the topcase rack installed.

Last edited by 40something; 02-04-2008, 10:31 PM. Reason: Adding pics
    If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

looks good!
    25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

Which racks did you end up using (brand) and where did you score them?

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Looks Great BJ!
        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Looks good. Just a heads up: When I drive with my Givi's (40l monokey sidebags), and let go of the handlebar at around 40-50 mph, then I get the most crazy wobble. Just takes a finger on the handlebar to calm it down again - but it's freakin' scary the first time. It only happens when I have the bags on, so there's no question that they are the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane-Kat View Post
            Looks good. Just a heads up: When I drive with my Givi's (40l monokey sidebags), and let go of the handlebar at around 40-50 mph, then I get the most crazy wobble. Just takes a finger on the handlebar to calm it down again - but it's freakin' scary the first time. It only happens when I have the bags on, so there's no question that they are the cause.
            Actually, it may have to do with factors outside the bags themselves -- but is only noticable with the bags; the bags may be changing the front-to-rear weight bias, loading the rear wheel and unloading the front wheel (esp. if there's anything in the bags). As the front wheel unloads, any issues with the tread design and/or wear will amplify, because it is easier for the flaws to overcome the force/weight of the bike keeping it stable.
            Depending on how many miles on the tire, you might want to have them rebalanced or replace them with better tires.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              Actually, it may have to do with factors outside the bags themselves -- but is only noticable with the bags; the bags may be changing the front-to-rear weight bias, loading the rear wheel and unloading the front wheel (esp. if there's anything in the bags). As the front wheel unloads, any issues with the tread design and/or wear will amplify, because it is easier for the flaws to overcome the force/weight of the bike keeping it stable.
              Depending on how many miles on the tire, you might want to have them rebalanced or replace them with better tires.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Sorry for hijacking the thread - didn't mean to... but just to follow up on CP's comments. The tires were in fine condition, but I haven't tried riding with the bags after changing to the Z6's though.
              Another thing on the same subject; I am putting on an undertail-unit pretty soon, and then I wont have three fixpoints for the rack anymore - just two! I almost know the answer to my question, but anyways; anynody knows if it will be safe to ride with the rack just mounted to the rear grab bar and passenger foot peg?

Comment

Originally posted by Dane-Kat View Post
                anynody knows if it will be safe to ride with the rack just mounted to the rear grab bar and passenger foot peg?
                As long as the rack still ties the left-n-right halves together with that connector rod, sure. The rod won't be hidden by the undertail, but it still needs to be there.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

No problem on high jacking the thread.

Cyber:

To answer your question these are the GIVI PL533 racks for the 03 and newer Kat's http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/117/140/

I got these are twisted throttle. Hope this helps. The bags are 36 Liter side and 52 Liter top.
                  If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Dane-Kat, are you also using the PL533 racks that 40something is using? If so, I'd like to see a pic after you do the undertail mod...

Since I have a '98 now, and they stopped making the PL518 & PL525, I'll have to take a PL-533. Since the difference in the model years (in reference to how the racks mount) is the change in the location of the rear undertail's blinker holes, I either have to cut the undertail's holes oblong or eliminate the stock undertail.
                    ** Oddly enough, when I took my (recently stolen) 01 Kat 600 to the '04 style tail, I had to do the same thing -- because I had the older racks, I had to oblong the holes in the new undertail to match the placement (cutting the blinker holes oblong further towards back); this time, I'll have to go the other way, cutting them to open them further forward.

PS - thanks for the info, 40something, particularly the model info. I've got another outfit out of Georgia that normally supplies me my racks that's a bit cheaper than twisted throttle on them...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Dane-Kat, are you also using the PL533 racks that 40something is using? If so, I'd like to see a pic after you do the undertail mod...

=-= The CyberPoet
                      CP,

No, I don't use the PL533, but rather the SW-motech quick-lock: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/image...mageview/6463/

After doing the undertail, I will have the problem where the rack currently mounts to the plateholder. Since I am putting on a Rizoma plate holder, maybe - just maybe - I will be able to fit the SW-motech-rod to the back of the Rizoma, and get everything nicely lined up... I just think that it will require the Rizoma to be placed too far back to my liking.
                      Last edited by Dane-Kat; 02-08-2008, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks Dane... if it doesn't fit, what will you do?

Q: Has anyone had any experience with a German rack-system builder called Five Stars? They make what looks like Givi racks and are designed to take Givi & Kappa bags...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Dane... if it doesn't fit, what will you do?

Q: Has anyone had any experience with a German rack-system builder called Five Stars? They make what looks like Givi racks and are designed to take Givi & Kappa bags...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

I haven't personally but I have read on some of the sport touring and adventure touring forums about them. They are getting mixed reviews you might want to check around on these before you try a set.

Comment

Working...
                          X