X

Installing computer-fans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing computer-fans

Anyone done this ? Think I read somewhere abouy a guy who had installed a couple of PC-fans in the fairing, to help ventilation when riding in a parade og in slow traffic. Canīt remember if he had installed it on a seperate battery...
    "If you believe everything you read - better not read."

Yes. Doesn't Post 98 Cali Kats come with a fan?

I know Viffers come with one.

Comment

Problem with PC fans is that they're not rated for outdoor use. They get wet and you've got a problem. Do a search in google for oil cooler fans. There is a company that makes them. You'd just have to fab up a mount.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
        Problem with PC fans is that they're not rated for outdoor use. They get wet and you've got a problem. Do a search in google for oil cooler fans. There is a company that makes them. You'd just have to fab up a mount.
        Yeah, but you can pick 'em up free all day long. Some are 12VDC, too, so you can wire em right in.

I had a trio of them to put on a 750GT (waterbuffalo) I had, sold the bike before I go that far.
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Granted that, but wonder what a short would do to the electrical system of the bike?
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
            Granted that, but wonder what a short would do to the electrical system of the bike?
            Pop the low amp fuse that would be installed inline with the fan.
            93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
              Yes. Doesn't Post 98 Cali Kats come with a fan?
              Yeah, but the fan is mounted sideways next to the carbs, and blows only after the bike shuts off to keep the carbs cool (reducing post-run fuel boil-off as a form of pollution control).

I'm not sure how well computer fans would work because:
              (A) They are designed to work on a flat 12 volts. Bike runs typically 14.2 volts.
              (B) They are not designed to inject water. Bike sees rain, puddles, splashing in all but the driest locations.
              (C) They block the cooler's efficiency when they're not turning (or not turning as fast as the air). Might cause some overheating at mid-speeds where the cooler by itself would be fine.
              (D) I wonder how well the charging system and electronics would handle 12V power being shoved back through the system from the fans being blown by the wind. Should probably be fine if they are slaved straight to the battery, but I wouldn't want to share the wires with any other circuitry in the bike.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X