Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

IT'S ALIVE...and hitting on all 4!!!!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT'S ALIVE...and hitting on all 4!!!!!!!!

My engine swap thread HERE

My troubleshooting epic HERE

Turns out it was the Ivan's Jet kit. Don't know how or why (I plan on calling him Monday and run this by him)...

But took the carbs back to stock today and MAN oh MAN does this thing run better than my old 600

Here's the first try after taking carbs back to stock

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6Mq4L1qTc[/youtube]

And here's after the carb sync - look close enough?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c9g8WJwhyI[/youtube]

Thanks to everyone who helped me troubleshoot this thing...

I'm really stumped how the ket kit would cause this, but right now don't care...I can actually start the paint work so I can RIDE ..........

#1 #3 & #4 are even. What's with #2? Sounds nice.

Comment

yeah, number 2 is off a bit. I'm not sure how far off it has to be for it not be right though. I have all 4 of mine dead even.

Is that at the right rpm to do a sync? Sounds low.
      Last edited by GytRDunKat; 03-21-2008, 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

You might be on katriders if someone says....
        Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
        Is that at the right rpm to do a sync? Sounds low.

-Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Just re-installed the 5 degree advancer and took it around the block...

This thing makes my old 600 look like it was running on 3 cylinders...

I'm excited...ready to get it ready for paint now.

I drove it sans any bodywork around a bit....stopped to get a pack of smokes...these this father and son were getting out of their truck and flagged me down as I got off the bike.

Kid : "What is that thing? It looks mean...sounds good too.."

Father : "Son..that's one of the new Ducati's........."

LMAO

Comment

He is just trying to impress the kid. That's good about the bike though.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post

Father : "Son..that's one of the new Ducati's........."

LMAO

Man I told you it was the carbs

Good thing you got that kitty up and running again
              Last edited by David F C; 03-21-2008, 07:36 PM.
              Too old to dream, too young to reason...
              I am fond of my rough edges.
              sigpic

Comment

Glad to hear you got it running good

Sync looks decent, you may not always get them perfect but that's better then I bet 90% of the people that have not done it are riding with.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  Glad to hear you got it running good

Sync looks decent, you may not always get them perfect but that's better then I bet 90% of the people that have not done it are riding with.
                  I'm sure if I mess with it some more I can get it perfect...I was doing it off the fuel left in the carb bowls and was in a hurry to ride it

Comment

When you talk to Ivan, post up the reply -- I'm curious if you've got a 98+ 750 motor, 98+ 750 carbs, header & exhaust, why you rant into problems

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Man, sounds good, and I also see #2 a bit above the rest...work it, and get it as good as you can. Glad to see its running though!
                      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                        When you talk to Ivan, post up the reply -- I'm curious if you've got a 98+ 750 motor, 98+ 750 carbs, header & exhaust, why you rant into problems

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Welcome back.

Yeah I'm curious too. I'm definitely going to call him and give him the whole spiel from start to finish.

I'm going to kick off the sanding / prep work for paint Monday evening, so once that's done, I might even try installing the jet kit....I'm stumped as well.

The weird part is my inductive timing light was showing #4 and #3 getting spark when I was having the problem. But as soon as the stock carbs went back in you could TELL immediately those cylinder were up and going now, because it started cooking off the antiseize in the header bolts and all the oil / crap on the pipes from me grabbing them so much to see if they were warm or not.

The only other thing I did when installing the stock carb set up was new NGK plugs....but that was the THIRD set since this engine swap started. Highly unlikely I guess, but the plugs could have gone bad?

I'll post a new thread with Ivan's response once I talk to him.

Comment

Likewise. My Ivan's kit just showed up this week and I was going to put the Kat under the knife for the upgrade (plus valve adjustment, carb synch and a new slip-on) but I might end up waiting for a week based on the outcome of this.

I've been a lurker on this board for a while - yours is the first negative experience with the Ivan's kit that I can recall.

Comment

My personal opinion is could be you just got a bad kit. It happens even the biggest companies with the best quality control have bad kits here and there that is life.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by creepinghunter View Post
                              My personal opinion is could be you just got a bad kit. It happens even the biggest companies with the best quality control have bad kits here and there that is life.

good luck
                              That's what I'm thinking.....I mean there was NO WAY it was an incorrect install of the jet kit...as I took the carbs BACK apart a second time, cleaned them inside and out, then put it back together with the same result. I put the carbs in my lap (on a towel in my garage) and put the stock stuff back in, because honestly I REALLY didn't think the jet kit / carbs were at fault, and it fired right up and ran great.

I hope to talk to Ivan Monday. And based on that conversation I'll probably try the jet kit again....heck with all the bodywork off it only takes me maybe 15 minutes to have the carbs off the bike, another 30 at most to put the kit in, then another 15 or so to get it back together.

Comment

Working...
                              X