X
X

Poor man's ignition advancer. Do it yourself

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the kat 600 this is in the right side cover ???? is easy to tke out the plate?????????? thanks
    power is nothing w/o control

Comment

Originally posted by robertyuca
      in the kat 600 this is in the right side cover ???? is easy to tke out the plate?????????? thanks
      on the right side the small cover that say suzuki.

Comment

Just finished took about 20 min. Thanks.
        I have set the ignition plate at 3deg just like the pix.
        2006 GSX600F

Comment

Sorry but can anyone explain this in newbie terms? What are we doing and what benefit does this mod bring?
          I wouldn't be so paranoid... if everyone wasn't out to get me.

Comment

What You are doing in this mod is advancing the timing of the ignition spark. Timing advance helps produce more power by igniting the spark plugs sooner, providing more time for the fuel/air mixture to burn completely, increasing cylinder pressure, thus providing more power.

If too much advancement is done the fuel/air mixture will ignite too soon producing pinging, or pre detenation, this can destroy your motor.

The factory setting is a very safe setting, and from research it seems advancing the timing +5 deg makes the best power. If you don't want to be cutting and self fabricating this mod. You can buy a +5 factory ignition advancer for $60.
            2006 GSX600F

Comment

thanks for the info. i'll check this out some more. thanx again.
              I wouldn't be so paranoid... if everyone wasn't out to get me.

Comment

Is there a noticeable power gain from this? I know every bit helps. I've done major timing changes on auto's but never on a bike.

Comment

what about the magnet under the trigger, in both the 88 i had and the 94 ive got now the magnet was cracked in half. how much are replacements, how critical is the magnetic field?

Comment

Sounds good. I am going to have to try that...
                    2006 50th ann. R1 (drive weekends only.....), 1996 750 Katana (daily driver), 2004 Dodge SRT-4 (garage queen only 3000 miles), and 2006 Black Dodge Ram SLT (rainy weather driver)

Comment

does anyone have the part number for the ignition advancer?

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                        with the mod - how are you getting it back to the stock setting when you adjust the valves ?

tim
                        adjusting the valves only relates to cam timing and this only alters the ignition timing, therefore it wont effect your lashing the valves what-so-ever. i hope that makes sense
                        93 600 kat
                        750 kat motor, 750 gsxr carbs
                        flat black

Comment

Originally posted by burke
                          Originally posted by trinc
                          with the mod - how are you getting it back to the stock setting when you adjust the valves ?

tim
                          adjusting the valves only relates to cam timing and this only alters the ignition timing, therefore it wont effect your lashing the valves what-so-ever. i hope that makes sense
                          yes but dont you use it as a refrence for determing tdc

Comment

yes you are correct there.
                            but when you are adjusting your valves, you need all the valves to be closed, which means you are on the opposite side of the cam from the raised profile, which determines your lift and duration. so from top dead center 5, 10, or even 15 degrees one way or the other the cam will have the same "flat" profile as it does at true tdc. at those points the cam is still the same circle and has not start to ramp up to the cam profile. i hope this makes sense.
                            you can always toss a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and find tdc
                            93 600 kat
                            750 kat motor, 750 gsxr carbs
                            flat black

Comment

you can always toss a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and find tdc

good one i'll have to try that now

Comment

Has anyone tried toluene/xylene or race gas with very aggressive timing advances? If so, what were the gains. I'm curious to try this.
                                ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                                Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

Working...
                                X