Header compatibility?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header compatibility?

Hi everyone.

Im sure someone will be able to verify based on experience if the following header will fit perfectly on a pre-kat 600, before I order it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSX...-/131377187189

If modifications are required please let me know

Thanks alot in advance
    Michael

Yes they will fit, however these are equal length headers, they are meant to make power at higher RPMs.

Comment

Okay thanks for the fast reply!

Do you mean it will run like shit, due to a decrease in the resistance in the exhaust?

I bought the bike with a 4-1 header - I dont know from what model/engine size it comes from, but would guess it is from a 750 cc due to the diameter of the pipes. The can is this:

https://www.denniskirk.com/oval-carb...prd/430906.sku

The carbs have adjustable needles(5 positions) but only stock main jet. Will I need to upgrade further?

Comment

Equal length headers make less tq than a normal header. You may, Im a Diesel mechanic, I know a ton about fuel injection but not as much about carbs, I would say yes because you make the engine run leaner when opening it up to let it breath but I could be wrong. You might want to ask someone who knows more about this.

Comment

Just install a jet kit. FP stage 1 and You'll be fine. The length will show nothing on a KAT, it's the diameter that counts.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

So when my bike already have a header with bigger pipe diameter, than found on a stock, installed and runs good with the current carb setup. It should not be necessary to replace my stock main and pilot jets?

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Just install a jet kit. FP stage 1 and You'll be fine. The length will show nothing on a KAT, it's the diameter that counts.
              This isn't hard facts... just something I've observed with a few specific bikes. My experience has been over all length does matter some for the exhausts. To be clear... yes, the bike will run. No it won't cause any damage. You most likely would not be able to tell riding it alone.

I noticed there were differences because I have multiples of the bikes, and found /see/feel the difference in having 1 header set for a 600 (on my 750) and another header set that was for a 750 (on the wifes then 600, and now 750 motor).

My unique circumstance has allowed me to do things like swap carbs and other parts back and forth... testing, checking, so on.

My wife's bike ran fine with a 750 header on a 600 engine. So it would fine to use those.

Running fine is subjective though... if your wanting all the performance you can squeeze out of the bike... then you will not want to do that. The header length will not be optimal for the engine displacement.

We could go into details about exhaust pulses and waves, how the exhaust shape and length can contribute or hinder it's movement, or (as has happened many times before) argue the minute details in use of terms (is it back pressure or flow or scavenging effect or .... ) but I'd rather not.

I'm just pointing out... there IS a difference. The average rider would not be able to tell. It's not going to damage the vehicle. Every kat should have a jet kit anyways IMHO.

Originally posted by Gonzo_DK View Post
              So when my bike already have a header with bigger pipe diameter, than found on a stock, installed and runs good with the current carb setup. It should not be necessary to replace my stock main and pilot jets?

If your bike is a US model, you would see gains from a jetkit where one does not exist. This is true even with a stock exhaust, much more necessary when using aftermarket systems.

If your bike is a Non US model, you already have adjustable needles and can tune/adjust the carbs for the changes to exhaust systems.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the detailed answer Kreylyn - it clarified my questions

Last question:

Since I have a non US model will the needle also have 5 grooves, like the Factory Pro jet needle?

Comment

Thanks for the detailed answer Kreylyn - it clarified my questions

Last question:

Since I have a non US model will the needle also have 5 grooves, like the Factory Pro jet needle?

I don't know... what country model is the bike?

Best way to answer that.... take a cap off, look at your needle. :P

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It is from Denmark, Europe.

Already have Each needle have 5 grooves. Is it only factory pro who has 5 or will it also be found in Europe stock versions?

Comment

It is from Denmark, Europe.

Already have Each needle have 5 grooves. Is it only factory pro who has 5 or will it also be found in Europe stock versions?

Many Non US model bikes were equipped with OEM needles that were adjustable. It is possible the needles you have are stock and not a jetkit. There is a part number on them, you can cross reference with a local dealer if you wanted to affirm 100%.

In THAT case (adjustable OEM needles), you should not need to do any part replacement unless the changes are so extreme, new jets are required. Just a new header for street use should not require new jets in most cases.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Cool, probably just european stock needles then since the main jets are stock #110 and pilot jets #32.5

I have found a used(cheaper) GSXR 750 slingshot header from 90', which I will buy at first instead of the stainless header from ebay.

Comment

Working...
                        X