Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My Current Exhaust System issue (Pictures)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Current Exhaust System issue (Pictures)

(1991 Katana 600)

I don't know how it broke in the first place... but the overlapping area where the headers and mid-pipe meet rusted cracked and then broke upon removal.

The mid-pipe was missing the last 2 inches where it slides into the header. I commute every day and I had access to our welding machine, but not the right wire to do the job properly. I did the best I can to weld the pipe back on. It held for a while but now it leaks pretty bad and is one of those things I just want fixed.

I bought a 04' Katana 600 Stock exhaust and just need to get the oil pan for it to work on my bike (1991 Katana 600)

Thoughts or recommendations on what I should and should not do or if this swap even makes sense?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by .408cheytac; 12-28-2012, 04:10 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

try muffler bandage. get it at an auto parts store. won't be pretty but might last long enough to add the oil pan.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
        I don't know how it broke in the first place...
        Your suspension is shot and not (or was not) set up right. Then some agressive riding put the exhaust at that point into the pavement a few times.

It's pretty common with the stock suspension on these kats with the after market exhaust systems.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Your suspension is shot and not (or was not) set up right. Then some agressive riding put the exhaust at that point into the pavement a few times.

It's pretty common with the stock suspension on these kats with the after market exhaust systems.

Krey
          +1 , And a better welder, I would cut that off, Have a new pipe bent up and weld it a little better with a 1/4'' plate at the bottom.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            +1 , And a better welder, I would cut that off, Have a new pipe bent up and weld it a little better with a 1/4'' plate at the bottom.
            Any idea how much it would be to have a pipe bent and made up?

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Your suspension is shot and not (or was not) set up right. Then some aggressive riding put the exhaust at that point into the pavement a few times.

Krey
            Yeah, I have had a lot of things happen to cause it to break. I had to ride over a concrete median after being cut off and I also had gone off the road into the grass and dirt after clipping a deer. I just didn't know what was the final blow that broke it. Lol
            Last edited by .408cheytac; 12-25-2012, 12:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
              Any idea how much it would be to have a pipe bent and made up?

Yeah, I have had a lot of things happen to cause it to break. I had to ride over a concrete median after being cut off and I also had gone off the road into the grass and dirt after clipping a deer. I just didn't know what was the final blow that broke it. Lol
              I paid $30 to have mine done at Midas. try to bring them the original pipe so they can match the bends and swedges. Don't weld it to the header, cut slots down the pipe and clamp it. easier to remove and repair when damaged, also you can add a new slip on when needed or wanted.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

lol So.... just forget about the 04 stock exhaust?

Comment

You can use it if you want as you already know you'll need the oil pan
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

One mod worth doing when you fit your new pipes (assuming its mild steel not stainless) is drill a small hole at the lowest point in the exhaust system (2-3mm).
                    Engines use about 14 kg of air to every 1 kg of fuel and there's a lot of water in 14 kg. If you dont vent it (many systems come with this hole but it soon blocks with rust, stones, small furry animals that sort of thing) the build up of moisture in the pipe will cause it to corrode.

Are late 600 bandits all stainless and if so would they fit?

K3 1000 (all titanium and weigh less than a mouses cock) pipes fit with a little work, although I'd put money on having issues with your belly pan
                    When I want your opinion I'll tell you it!!!!!

Comment

Common aluminumized or galvanized steel will last for many years.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

I know I am going to get hell for asking this question but... can I use the header gaskets from the old header on the new header temporarily? What I mean is that I have already ordered the proper gaskets however the shop who I bought them from had the wrong ones sent out. I knew they were coming in today so I had the bike ready for the new header and gaskets.

Now that I have to wait 1-2 weeks for the right gaskets I was wondering if I would be doing harm if I used the old gaskets (which are ok) on the new header for the time being? *It is my only form of transportation.*

Comment

if they seal properly you should be fine. I've done the same thing.
                          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Working...
                          X