X

Header Compatibility

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header Compatibility

I saw a few threads similar to this one but I wasn't really sure of the answer. I apologies if this is a duplicate topic.

I have a Stock 04' Katana 600 full exhaust (+header) that I wasn't to mount on my 1991 Katana 600. I know I will need to change mounting bolts and the position of the exhaust from the header back... but is the header compatible? Right now it is set up for 4 to 1 and so is the 04 header.

Thanks!

You would also need to switch the oil pan and pickup. Honestly try finding someone with a pre Kat that the exhaust system is in good condition but they want a 4-1 and trade with them.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
      You would also need to switch the oil pan and pickup. Honestly try finding someone with a pre Kat that the exhaust system is in good condition but they want a 4-1 and trade with them.
      The exhaust is already in my possession... lol

Comment

Well then you still need an oil pan and pick up.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Or you can dent the header. I'd buy a pan

Comment

What is the right pan?

Comment

If you are wanting to use a pre exhaust, a pre oil pan and pickup would be the right pan. Pre= 88-97
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

If I'm reading this correctly,
                1. You've got a 91 600 with a 4-1 exhaust already installed(??)
                2. You have an exhaust from an 04 Katana that you'd like to install on your 91.

Unless the swap has already been done you'll need to swap the oil pan and pickup for ones from a 98-06 Katana to make the 04 exhaust fit. You can make it work by denting in the top of the 04 header so that it will clear your stock oil pan but you'd still have issues with the drain bolt being above the header.

Edit: Just saw the photos in your intro thread. Why would you want to swap out a V&H for a heavy stock exhaust??!!
                Last edited by Wild-Bill; 11-15-2012, 07:27 PM.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  If I'm reading this correctly,
                  1. You've got a 91 600 with a 4-1 exhaust already installed(??)
                  2. You have an exhaust from an 04 Katana that you'd like to install on your 91.

Unless the swap has already been done you'll need to swap the oil pan and pickup for ones from a 98-06 Katana to make the 04 exhaust fit. You can make it work by denting in the top of the 04 header so that it will clear your stock oil pan but you'd still have issues with the drain bolt being above the header.

Edit: Just saw the photos in your intro thread. Why would you want to swap out a V&H for a heavy stock exhaust??!!
                  It has been trashed to hell. The slip on has no internals, I onced overhauled it installing new packing and baffle but noticed it did nothing to make it quiet.

The real reason is that the current headers are rusted to hell. MOST importantly the mid pipe cracked at the slip on joint to the header. I welded it back on but I have many leaks on both the welds and the spot where they conjoin. The mid section is also rusted about 1/3 of the way up.

I also leave for work at 4 am and I like my neighbors So I would love to quiet it down.

Comment

I encourage criticism if needed. I will get pictures and post them of the current system.

Comment

Is the oil pan specific to Only Katanas' or are there other bikes that use the same pan?

Comment

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
                        Is the oil pan specific to Only Katanas' or are there other bikes that use the same pan?

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That's awesome!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X