X

Looking to buy a GSXR 1100

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a GSXR 1100

So i haven't been around much on here this summer. Lots of riding around the country, started a new job, and now i'm back here to hear some opinions on a bike i'm looking at buying. It's a 'near' perfect condition '93 GSXR 1100.

It doesn't look like a stock colour, so previous damage is a concern. 17.3k miles, good condition tires, chain looks a little long on the adjusters. Other than the obvious stuff, anybody have any opinions on these bikes. It's the 1st year of the watercooled engine, any known problems? I know it's a pig (500lbs) but i love how the kat is solid and a great 2 up rider, I think this is a good progression.

And on a lighter note, hope everyone had a great riding season (for us northerners) and that you southerners keep being safe.

Robin

you are fooling yourself if you think this will be similar to a kat as a great 2up rider. you are leaned over the tank a lot more on a gixxer of that year, and it sucks if you are short. I know a couple of guys on the short side who owned them, and they have to do some reaching.

and it sucks for the passenger on the back. because you have to lean ahead, so do they. it gets uncomfortable for them, and even more so for you because they will eventually start leaning on you.

I know this because I have swapped bikes a few times with one of my buddies cuz when we would go for a couples ride, his wife would start bitching, and he would be uncomfortable....so I would switch off with my 1100 kat. I could take about 40-50 minutes of it, then had to switch back. They were always disappointed when I wanted my bike back. His wife wanted him to sell it and get one like mine. I could have traded my 93 kat 1100 for his 93 gix 1100, and I said, "no way".

The gix is nice for sure. it's a legend. but my kat had the same engine and was 10 times more comfortable. so I stayed with the kat.

If I was you, and was thinking about 2 up riding, or do a fair amount of it, I would forget the gix and get an 1100 kat from the same era. the gix went liquid in 93, but the kat didn't.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

The first liquid gixxer 1100 was a bear to turn tightly. Don't ask me why, but everyone who I know who has one says exactly the same thing: great in a straight line, but brake way down before the turn!

That's all I got.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i've got the 1995 750ws, i'm only 5'2" and have no problems apart from my hands ache when travelling at lower speeds due to my body weight being supported on them...

longest journey i've done on it tho was 140miles (one way), 280 round trip, most of me ached that day but that was due to it being my first sports bike and unaccustomed to the riding position (second day out on it)...

ok mine won't "pull" in the same way as the 1100 but i treat it like a two stroke and get off with a silly grin every time i ride it
        it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

I honestly don't know if I've ver ridden a '93 Gixxer. I can tell you that my first true street bike was a 87 Gixxer 750.

Let's get this out of the way before the thread migrates

- NO it's not a good beginner bike. I was 17, it was a hand-me-down from my older brother after he got hit in a parking lot as he was sitting still. It was 2 years old then. So I jumped on it. My brother told me years later he didn't think I'd really get it running and start riding it.

That being said........

Mine was VERY uncomfortable on anything more than 30 minutes of sustained speed driving. As in so uncomfortable that I ended up moving the passenger pegs, and would lay on the tank with a towl under my jacket and lay my feet on the back pegs.

NO that wasn't smart....I was young and stupid. But it was the only way I could bear long rides without feeling like I'd been boxing for hours.

That bike was very 'twitchy'...I'm comparing it to my current Katana, the FJR I had, the VFR I had and assorted other bikes I rode.

Personally, I don't like how you have to rev the piss out of it to get going. It's almost like a 2 stroke dirt bike. But that's JUST ME.

As for the 2 up comments...I never rode 2 up that much on my Gixxer, BECAUSE I couldn't bear the passenger constantly sliding into me.

just my 2 cents....

Chris

Comment

Chris....your two cents are worth at least a buck cuz what you said pretty much describes the gix of that era....750 or 1100.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I'd say if you want to continue 2u distance riding but want to move "UP" from a smaller cc kat, I'd pickup a used early nineties Katana 1100, a early 80's katana 1100 or a Bandit 1200. More power and torque better riding positions.

Comment

They are a "little" more roomier than my old 95 750 but not much. Long reach to the bars over a looooong tank. They love to be revved so be ready to stay above 7 grand if you want to make power. The 1100 wasn't too bad as it had plenty of power, just not much down low. Heavy steering because they were so heavy and the weight is carried high. If you want a classic bike, get it, if you want a 2-up rider, get a 1100 Kat.

Watch out for 2nd gear on those things. Suzuki had alot of trouble with second on all the older gixxers.
                sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                MSF Rider Coach 27028
                MoPowerSports.com
                Torco
                SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Thanks guys! Lots of good info. I'm 5'11, so the height shouldn't be an issue. I am going to make sure 2nd gear works well though. Hopefully the bike looks as good in person. I've always liked how these older bikes looked. The guy wants 2950 OBO for it. I don't really want to spend more than $2600 though. Even though it does have a custom exhaust, jetkit+K&N.
                  If i do pick this up, i'll have a '98 kat 750 w/ a brand new rear Conti sport-attack/chain/rear sprocket and 11,500 miles for sale.

Comment

Working...
                  X