X

"seat upgrade" option (and a suggestion to be crea

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "seat upgrade" option (and a suggestion to be crea

during my "years" as a member of kr, and the former kp, there is one thing that sort of seems a trend on the forums....this forum and others I frequent. and that trend is that once someone gets the ball rolling on a certain product, it becomes the "standard" for all forum members. it's sort of like, "well, member A, member B, and member C all use this product, so I guess I should as well. and once member D, E and F make the list, it almost becomes the rule that you should use the same product, and everyone agrees that brand X is what you should buy.

Now don't get me wrong.....I am not saying this is a bad thing because there is nothing wrong with doing this with a product that is tried and tested and proven to a better investment over stock.
    However, I will use the corbin seat in this example. I have to be honest.....each time I see someone post a new thread to about their new corbin seat, I become less interested in even taking a look. after all, how many corbins can one take a look at before they all start looking like the same old thing? In my case, it has been at least a year and maybe 15 seats ago. and now when someone posts about their new corbin, my reaction is "congrats....now you have the exact same seat as the other 50+ guys on here who did the upgrade. you are now part of that demographic group".
    in itself, there is nothing wrong with this, but imho, it lacks any and all creativity and has become as mundane as swapping brake pads, tires, chains, or anything else that is considered an "upgrade". just a "better than stock" product that has become the "norm".

so assume this post is for those who wish to follow their own creative path and avoid the "same as the next guy" products and ideas. you know.....the ones who would like to think outside the box and not just slap something on their bike that 50+ other people on here, have. for these people, go take a look at http://www.tobinseats.com
    for around the same price you can get a seat that is totally "you". pick the color, create your logo, maybe add a gel insert.......go with hot pink if that is your thing. my challenge to you is to come up with something that will bring a "wow, that is a fuckin' awesome seat, dude", instead of "great investment, I LOVE MY CORBIN, and I know you will as well". so visit tobin, and do some google searches and send of a few emails asking seat builders if they can hook you up. after all, the seat is a big part of the appearance of the bike. consider yourself an artist, and let the seat be your canvas. you know....use your imagination, if you have one. if you lack any imagination at all, get the help of someone who does. if that seems like too much work, well.....just go buy a corbin like everyone else.

so why the challenge? well.....consider it just as much a warning as a challenge. how so? well let's just say that if someone else posts a "look at my new corbin seat" thread, I WILL try to just keep my opinions to myself on the subject, but my ability to do so will depend on the responses to the thread. if I see 40-50 replies saying, "ya man....I love my corbin too...great investment", I am going to be really tempted to say something like, "congrats....you just paid $300 plus shipping for an "overpriced" seat that lacks any creativity so your ass can be comfortable in the same kind of saddle that a ton of other people have. you are now part of "the group".

all I am trying to say here is that if you are going to drop 300 clams on a new seat, consider being a bit creative with those 300 clams. shit....even if your imagination drives the price up to $400, that extra $100 can make you unique and stand out from the pack. like I said.....it's just a suggestion........and maybe to let you know that if you do go out and buy a new corbin, there may be a few other members like myself who are just going to think, "ya...so what? it's been done enough that it is really no big deal....but congrats anyway".

final word.....there is nothing wrong with corbin at all. it is a good seat with a good reputation. but imho that is all it is now....a good seat. it has become too common to be anything more than that. and if you are just looking for an easy hassle free upgrade for $300 plus shipping, then by all means go for it. I am just trying to let you know that for roughly the same price, you can upgrade to something that will be a "one of a kind", if you use your imagination and put a little effort into it. If you do, you might just end up with something that will make people say, "wow...fuckin' awesome seat, dude".
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

oh....and for all those who have purchased corbins over the last couple of years.....thanks guys. I never found my corbin all that comfortable anyway, and with you all making it seem kinda common now, it is what motivated me to finally sell the two that have been on a shelf for the last couple of years, and go they way of something different. and I mean this sincerely....not as an insult or a put-down.

Comment

How neat are those!! I had no idea that you could go to such lengths to personalize your bike... this is going to be an expensive hobby. *L*

Comment

Mojoe, sounds like you are really taking this Corbin thing to heart. If it makes you feel any better, I just got my seat yesterday...and I love it! Yes, it is expensive, but it has a better reputation than Torbin, or Tobin, or Tweebin. Corbin has made 98% (you being 1 of the 2%) of their Katana customers happy, so I was willing to trust my birthday money with them. So many people can't be wrong, and they weren't. I'd rather dish out the bucks to somewhere I know is going to give me good quality, instead of taking a risk on the seat of a brand name I haven't heard of.

Later,
        John
        I'm starting to wonder if you all need a beatdown.

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing the pics and reading the ride report from yours.

Personally, before I spend that kind of money I want to hear some people say "It looks good and is comfortable" so I dont have to be the one to say "Man it looks good, but I can only ride for an hour or so before my but goes numb".
          Check out Motojour.com.

Red is the fastest color!

Comment

i am still on the lookout for a good, comfortable seat.
            Hate the stock one. I have a corbin now (fleabay really cheap...) and have an OEM gel seat. I actually prefer the OEM gel. it was ALOT more comfortable than the corbin. My corbin transmits ALOT a vibration from the bike to my backside. I really dont like that. Makes my a$$ go numb pretty quick.
            I got the corbin for my other half to make her more comfy and they have the backrest which makes her feel more secure on the bike which makes me feel more at ease riding 2up ( i always felt her un-easiness on the back and it made me tense up to compensate for her reactions back there).

I will look at the Tobin seat and se what they can do. eventually I will find a seet that she AND I like.

In corbins defense Mojoe, you can fully customize a corbin. down to even giving your back end measurements to "fit" it better to you. But I do understand where you are coming from and I personally did not get a corbin cuz everyone else did, it was just one stop on the long road until i find the "perfect" seat for me and the gal.
            I love my Kat!!
            2000 burgandy 750

Comment

Originally posted by JohnbliYayzzy
              Mojoe, sounds like you are really taking this Corbin thing to heart. If it makes you feel any better, I just got my seat yesterday...and I love it! Yes, it is expensive, but it has a better reputation than Torbin, or Tobin, or Tweebin. Corbin has made 98% (you being 1 of the 2%) of their Katana customers happy, so I was willing to trust my birthday money with them. So many people can't be wrong, and they weren't. I'd rather dish out the bucks to somewhere I know is going to give me good quality, instead of taking a risk on the seat of a brand name I haven't heard of.

Later,
              John
              I am not taking this to heart. All I am doing is trying to make others aware that corbin is not the only option, and stating my personal opinions going corbin will offer you NOTHING more than a seat that is more comfortable than stock. FYI.....I have dealt with corbin beyond just a seat purchase. when the day comes that your seat starts to come apart or develop tears or rips...and trust me, it WILL because BOTH of mine did, you will discovery that after warranty, it will cost you something like $65/hr plus postage both ways to fix it....plus material. I shit you not....over the phone I was quoted 2 hours to fix it and about $60 in material. add in postage, that is over $200 to have it re-covered. THAT is why my seat stayed on the shelf for 2 years, unused.

and besides, we are talking about a seat here....not a engine rebuild. it's a piece of foam covered in leather. how frickin' difficult can it be? I had an old man who was at least 70 who did shoe and purse repairs for a living who redid my seat on my cbr, and it came out nicer than stock.

anyway, I made it very clear that corbin was "ok", but that this post is for future "upgraders" to have another option to consider. I don't really expect ANYONE who has already shelled out $300 on a corbin to agree at all. after all, you paid dearly for it, are proud of it, and would probably feel kinda stupid endorsing any other options. So no offense John, but your answer is just what I would have expected from present corbin owners. Your decision was likely based on "reputation" according to the other members who made the same purchase and expressed their "satisfaction" in the investment. and this is perfectly ok for those who like to "play it safe" and go with the norm.

so all you other corbin owners.....be frickin' fair about this. I am not trying to steal your glory as corbin owners. don't come in here getting all defensive and list a dozen reasons why anyone looking for a seat upgrade has to go with corbin. in other words, allow someone like myself to share other options for an upgrade without "insinuating" that it is the wrong choice. I am not saying corbin is a bad choice.......I am just merely pointing out that it is not the ONLY choice.
              get where I am coming from?

Comment

Originally posted by Katlover13
                i am still on the lookout for a good, comfortable seat.
                Hate the stock one. I have a corbin now (fleabay really cheap...) and have an OEM gel seat. I actually prefer the OEM gel. it was ALOT more comfortable than the corbin. My corbin transmits ALOT a vibration from the bike to my backside. I really dont like that. Makes my a$$ go numb pretty quick.
                I got the corbin for my other half to make her more comfy and they have the backrest which makes her feel more secure on the bike which makes me feel more at ease riding 2up ( i always felt her un-easiness on the back and it made me tense up to compensate for her reactions back there).

I will look at the Tobin seat and se what they can do. eventually I will find a seet that she AND I like.

In corbins defense Mojoe, you can fully customize a corbin. down to even giving your back end measurements to "fit" it better to you. But I do understand where you are coming from and I personally did not get a corbin cuz everyone else did, it was just one stop on the long road until i find the "perfect" seat for me and the gal.
                we think alike bud. got my corbins off of ebay as well. both were mint when I got them. and I had the same problem.....too much vibration and a numb ass. I also found it a bit too wide and it cut into my thighs. I went with a travelcade, and it is wayyyyy more comfortable than the corbin, however, not quite as nice looking.

and yes, I am completely aware that corbin will build to your specs, but at an extra cost. yes....they do have a good reputation....but that reputation also means a higher price tag. for now, my travelcade is the perfect seat for comfort. I feel no need to look any farther as far as that is concerned. however, it looks kinda "blah".

this is not a very good angle to see the seat, but this is what my travelcade is like. My plan is to see if tobin can insert a gel into the already existing foam, then add a logo to seat......and maybe trim down the "wing" on the back end of the seat.

oh...and this travelcade is as old as the corbins I had, has seen MORE miles than the corbins, but has not shown one sign of wear or tears like the corbins did. so from my experience.....travelcade has a better rep with me than corbin does.

Comment

I've looked long and hard and when I pull the trigger on a seat I'm going with Tobin as well... Some of those busa seats are awful nice looking and reports say they are every bit as comfy as a Corbin.

My current ride of choice

Comment

good to know there are more options than just corbin. I did not know about tobin, or travelcade for that matter.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Custom Seats....I haven't seen a Kat around with one like mine...

Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe

oh...and this travelcade is as old as the corbins I had, has seen MORE miles than the corbins, but has not shown one sign of wear or tears like the corbins did. so from my experience.....travelcade has a better rep with me than corbin does.
                        How do you know how many miles your Corbin seats truly have if you got them both used off Ebay?
                        I'm starting to wonder if you all need a beatdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                          Custom Seats....I haven't seen a Kat around with one like mine...
                          Hmm not outside of San Fran anyway..

I kid cause I love!!!

Mojoe.. What the hell is going on with you.. I thought you were like getting a new hobby or something? Geez you are grumpy...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                            Mojoe.. What the hell is going on with you.. I thought you were like getting a new hobby or something? Geez you are grumpy...
                            i guess it's all in the interpretation. To be honest i Havn't found his posts to be much more than opinions. Some i agree with some I don't.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto
                              Originally posted by Black_peter
                              i guess it's all in the interpretation. To be honest i Havn't found his posts to be much more than opinions. Some i agree with some I don't.
                              I'm just giving him crap....

Comment

Working...
                              X