Plastidipped 05 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job op.

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post

Clear the mesh? What do you mean by clear? I was thinking about painting it but I kind of like the silver on the black.

I'm assuming he means just clear coat it to protect it from the elements. It would look best in silver instead of black.

Comment

^^ exactly

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Here this shot has a little better lighting, again it looks not even close to as good as it does in person. Also ordering the gloss finish for it. I did like 8 coats on this.

Originally posted by teddy View Post
        ^^ exactly
        Yea it's silver now, so you mean just clear coat it to protect the mesh?
        Last edited by rottenpixies; 06-19-2013, 10:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

yep, it's what i did on mine

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I cleaned it with Armour All, then took it for a ride and got caught it a nasty downpour. This is what it looks like after rain hits the Armour All.

Comment

You should mesh mod that thing and we'll have matching bikes lol. Except I'm going to do some neon green on the tail fairing

Teddy, can you tell me what you used to clear coat the mesh? Everything I'm finding that can handle 500+ degrees has different colors.
              Last edited by rottenpixies; 06-19-2013, 12:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

I used regular automotive urethane clear. Your mesh will never ever reach temps in excess of maybe 100-150 degrees, it's aluminum and dissipates the heat fast enough to not damage any finish you would put on it. You could even use regular Krylon clear for all it really matters.

Comment

looks awesome

Comment

By the way guys, you can use Rustoleum flat clear coat on top of the Plastidip for a super strong finish. It loses a little sheen but makes it so much easier to clean and not worry about peeling. I mix my clear at 70/30 and do two coats. I just finished up some stencils that will be sprayed in flat red.

Word of warning: Do not use old or super sticky masking tape if you plan on adding stripes or something similar. It will peel the Plastidip when you remove the tape. Use "Frog Tape". It comes off much easier. Also remember to remove the tape immediately after you spray the new coat of Plastidip. If you don't the Dip will stick to the tape when you try to pull it away.

Comment

I am currently considering a gun metal and orange paint scheme for my bike using Plastidip.... Has anyone used the top clear coat at all, does it finish it like a regular paint job or does it still look pretty flat?

It is a lot more expensive over here in the UK, £11 a tin, around $17!! I wonder how much shipping for a bikes worth would be from over the pond?

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
                        By the way guys, you can use Rustoleum flat clear coat on top of the Plastidip for a super strong finish. It loses a little sheen but makes it so much easier to clean and not worry about peeling. I mix my clear at 70/30 and do two coats. I just finished up some stencils that will be sprayed in flat red.

Word of warning: Do not use old or super sticky masking tape if you plan on adding stripes or something similar. It will peel the Plastidip when you remove the tape. Use "Frog Tape". It comes off much easier. Also remember to remove the tape immediately after you spray the new coat of Plastidip. If you don't the Dip will stick to the tape when you try to pull it away.
                        I have heard mixed reviews on using rustoleum clear coat... some had said it ruins the plasti dips ability to peal off cleanly. Have you used regular clear coat and then been able to cleanly peal the plasti dip off still?
                        - Josh

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                          I have heard mixed reviews on using rustoleum clear coat... some had said it ruins the plasti dips ability to peal off cleanly. Have you used regular clear coat and then been able to cleanly peal the plasti dip off still?
                          I could do with this info as well. I will be dipping my bike and would like to give it a finish coat to minimise damage... I am not too bothered if it causes issues with peeling it off, I don't necessarily plan to take it off once on.

Comment

Awesome, just saw this post. The bike looks almost identical to mine now. Best part is that I got to see how my bike would look with matte black wheels too, and surprisingly enough, I don't really like it as much as with the silver wheels which give a bit of contrast. Just saved me the trouble of taking my wheels off, dipping them, and then reinstalling and realizing I don't like it and taking it off (not saying that it doesn't look good- just my personal preference is to not have the black wheels)- thanks!

As for plastidip's resistance to gasoline- it is NOT resistant. It is resistant to pretty much everything else BUT gas. If even a drop of gas gets on it for more than 10 seconds, it will peel off. I've had a bit of an issue while filling up (I was too lazy to take my rag out to wrap around the nozzle), and I now am waiting for the right time to re-dip my tank because I have some discoloration and a bit of dip peeled off around the gas cap.

I also used about 5 bottles for my bike. Planning on picking up the gallons and a spray gun to dip my track car when I get the time!

Comment

The dip will still peel off after being cleared, but in very little bits at a time. The clear dries as a solid on top of the dip ruining the dip's ability to 'stretch' when you peel it off...

Comment

Originally posted by Eye8 View Post
                                I've had a bit of an issue while filling up (I was too lazy to take my rag out to wrap around the nozzle), and I now am waiting for the right time to re-dip my tank because I have some discoloration and a bit of dip peeled off around the gas cap.
                                You don't have to re-dip the tank. I discovered that if you dip your finger in paint thinner and rub it onto the peeling/damaged Plastidip you can repair it. Just roll your finger over it until its smooth, then touch it up with a squirt of Plastidip and its good as new.

Originally posted by Eye8 View Post
                                Planning on picking up the gallons and a spray gun to dip my track car when I get the time!
                                Go to Home Depot, buy the regular Plastidip(not the spray can) and thin it using "Safer Paint Thinner" to about a 2/1 ratio. Costs about 15 bucks. Use a primer nozzle on your gun and you're good to go. Lays just as smooth as the sprayable stuff and costs about a fifth of the DYC gallon cans.

Comment

Working...
                                X