Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'kat 600 into a 4wheeler

I have a few concerns putting a bike motor into a sport quad frame
    -How do I rig the throttle cable?
    -How do I connect the motor to the rear sprocket?
    -how exactly do I make a strong motor mount? This thing will be jumped hard and often.
    -Gas tank? What do I need to know? Fuel pump? Or maybe just slap on the bike gas tank?
    -Would the 'kat motor have too much torque? I'll be on snow/ice most of the time with this thing and my uncles 2 stroke 250 quad would just spin and dig itself in the snow and not go anywhere. My 4 stroke 300 sport quad would just cruise right over and tear around the lake no problem.

Thoughts/concerns/advice?
    98 frame 04 motor yzf600r

I have done what you are attempting to do only i used a arctic cat thundercat that was wrecked and salvaged the 1000cc liquid cooled motor,and i custom made a frame to hold it all. i didn't use a quad frame...i made a nice dune buggy.

Hopefully you have experience doing metal fab or your in for some fail...and also some electrical experience needed to wire the motor and get everything working.

The Katana motor will need to be plumbed temporarily for you to get some measurements and see how to align the motor sprocket and the drive sprocket. then you could see what would be needed for a mount.

I would recommend you use the quad gas tank and see if the petcock from the katana tank could be mounted on the quad tank..... no fuel pumps on these bikes the carbs pull vacuum and the petcock delivers fuel gravity/vac fed.

No idea if it has "too much" torque....might need to change the sprocket size on the drive end to compensate.

more than likely...the reason the one quad will go through the snow better than the other is a combination of tire size and width, weight of the quad, and track and wheelbase. unless your driving a 2 stroke banshee with sand tires and banging it off the rev limiter , then it will dig for sure. 2 strokes hit the powerband and will also make it more difficult to go through snow without burying yourself

Comment

Originally posted by yteka99 View Post
      I have a few concerns putting a bike motor into a sport quad frame
      -How do I rig the throttle cable? - Custom made or make your own...they make kits to do this
      -How do I connect the motor to the rear sprocket? - You line up the Kat motor in the frame with the quad rear sprocket, or use a small jackshaft. You may find the Kat motor won't work due to alignment issues. Time to get out the tape measure.
      -how exactly do I make a strong motor mount? This thing will be jumped hard and often. good quality steel bracket...not cheap pot iron stuff
      -Gas tank? What do I need to know? Fuel pump? Or maybe just slap on the bike gas tank? Can't answer this until you get the motor in the frame and see how much room you have for a gas tank.
      -Would the 'kat motor have too much torque? I'll be on snow/ice most of the time with this thing and my uncles 2 stroke 250 quad would just spin and dig itself in the snow and not go anywhere. My 4 stroke 300 sport quad would just cruise right over and tear around the lake no problem. Kat motored quad would probably sink in the snow due to the added weight of the motor and additional power. Hard to say though.

Thoughts/concerns/advice?

Comment

The motor will work even if the alignment is off. It would require some metal fab and welding but it is very do-able

For the motor mounts I used a solid steel block (depending on your space limitations) I used a 2'' X 2'' chunk of solid bar stock. Then Determine the size of bolt your going with, align the block with the mounting location and pre drill a guide hole in that location.

I then went to an autoparts store and dug through some neoprene bushings, found some for a control arm from a chrystler neon that would work for me (14mm through hole) I then measured the O.D of the bushing and drilled the motor mount out 1 size under the O.D of the bushing. Then press the bushing into the block.

This will give you a real mount that will take a hefty beating.

My personal opinion of the project.....It would be fun and you would learn a lot if you actually complete it, but the finished product being a quad with a katana motor would leave you dissapointed in the new machine for off road use....slaping some smooth tires on and drive it in a strait line on pavement would be more ideal for this build, or custom build a frame and make a buggy.

My next fun little project is going to involve an old CP Rail, rail car and a home made jet engine

Comment

Working...
        X