No announcement yet.
X

$100 for a mount and balance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim's Motorcycles here charged me $40 to balance the front and rear tires off the bike. I had already mounted the tire and removed the old weights, a little crazy when you think about the time they invested in them, 10 minutes max I'd say. Now I wish I would've just picked up some weights and done it myself.

Comment

Last time I had to change them I found a local car tire guy who said he could do them. He charged like $15 bucks for the rear wheel and it took him about 5 min. that was with the wheel off the bike. The shops always want around 35 per tire.

Comment

Just saying that they must be balanced well or you wouldnt be very stable doing 100 mph wheelies...am i wrong?
        01 600...R6 mod, Hacked Factory pipe, ignition advanced, integrated rear turn signals, 03 tail, rear hugger, under tail, blacked out tailight & front turn signals and my own stickers.

Comment

Yea I think I paid $60 for both off the bike, would have been $40 if I bought tires from them
          Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

i guess where i live everything that has to do with any mechanical work is cheaper i noticed on here its 25.00 mount and balance if you bring the rim and tire. and 50+ if you bring the whole bike depends on how much work it takes to take the wheel off.

Comment

A static balance will be good enough for most people.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Static balancing can be way more accurate then a machine that is not calibrated every 3 months.
                most motorcycle shop never calibrate their dynamic balancers and mosy dont have $8k machines that auto calibrate

Most shops around here charge $40-$45 per wheel if you bring in just the wheels.

I keep my shop rates low just because thats what I would want and im sick of people being ripped off

I charge $40 per wheel on the bike
                $20 per wheel if you bring in just the wheels
                cnd dollars, no tax
                (goldwings not included)

people always ask why $20 for 10 minutes of work....
                I have to pay tire disposal fees,
                I also have to buy laxtex gloves, shop towels, wheel weights, tire lube, tire paste, goof off (adheasive remover) windex (test for leaks) valve stems, tubes, rim strips and shipping on a lot of it etc.
                On top of that I update and replace my tools as well. I use nomar products and its pretty costly when they break or wear out. I take the time to clean most rims with the wire wheel before I mount the new tires to prevent any leaks.
                People dont understand how much it costs to run a shop these days. I have a wood heat and get my wood free from local lumber yards but I still have insurance, taxes, water and power to pay for.

I had a customer last week with a Kawi Vulcan with bad head shake issues, oil change, lightbar install (supplied by the owner). I repacked and adjusted the steering head bearings, re-balanced the front wheel and corrected the tire pressure, installed the light bar and relay and changed the oil. The front wheel balance was out 1/2 oz by the dealership dynamic balancer. The final bill I charged $160 for 3 hours + oil and filter. The cheapest dealership wanted $300+

Originally posted by Gibby936 View Post
                I do my own also, have had 6 bikes : R1 TL1000s GSXR600 CBR600 & 2 Katanas & have never balanced a tire. Did 120 mph wheelies with no problems. Tires for bikes are usually balanced pretty Well. Change them with simple dirt bike irons.
                thats just so wrong....
                Ive seen quality tires out 2 oz or more
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-27-2011, 10:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Static balancing can be way more accurate then a machine that is not calibrated every 3 months.
                  most motorcycle shop never calibrate their dynamic balancers and mosy dont have $8k machines that auto calibrate
                  I will go to my grave swearing this....powder in the rim (equal) has them both beat. it flows where needed as wear progresses. you should get some of your customers to try it out. it will save you time and cut down on overhead if they like it.
                  Last edited by Mojoe; 04-27-2011, 10:57 PM.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Ive seen the damage from dyna beads and steel shot on several cruisers...
                    fact is most tire designs are not meant to have any weight inside . I have a tire in my shop that is crowned really bad and the tread is like new thanks to dyna beads.

Powder is something I have not heard of using but I also have a hard time believing it works a well as some believe.. Tires can and will build up condensation when cold and could cause clumping until the tire is heated and allowed to dry out. I change hundreds of tires a year (no kidding) and and found many of them them damp inside.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

holy motherload. I thought Norway was expensive. over here I know a place that takes $30 for both wheels off the bike.
                      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

[QUOTE=thats just so wrong....
                        Ive seen quality tires out 2 oz or more[/QUOTE]

So b it..just never had any issues is all im saying and ive changed an *** load..
                        01 600...R6 mod, Hacked Factory pipe, ignition advanced, integrated rear turn signals, 03 tail, rear hugger, under tail, blacked out tailight & front turn signals and my own stickers.

Comment

Working...
                        X