No announcement yet.
X

Touring Tires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FedEx just brought me my tires... Time to order the other stuff I need but don't want to spend the $$ on

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I like the Tomahawks, used them on my Futura. Anyone else use them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/180-5...QQcmdZViewItem
      Last edited by Fox Fader; 02-07-2008, 10:46 PM.
      Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
      '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
      '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
      '11 Kawasaki KLR650
      I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Hey CP, I got a question for you.

I figured since we're already talking tires I'll just shove it in here..

Do you recommend the Z6's just for the Kats only or do you recommend them across the board?

I got a Yamaha FZ1 I'm going to want to put new tires on before I go on a cross country trip this summer (the OEM's that are on it right now are about 5k old already). I want a good blend of sport rideability (I'm never gonna get my knee down, but I'd like the confidence to know that the tires can get me there) as well as longevity (considering I'm going to be potting down at least 4k miles on that trip) and solid wet road traction.

Would the Z6's fill that best for my bike as well, or do you recommend I try to find a different set of tires for the Fazer?

Comment

Originally posted by Genkenx2 View Post
          Hey CP, I got a question for you.
          Do you recommend the Z6's just for the Kats only or do you recommend them across the board?
          I recommend them specifically for the Kats, because I've tried pretty much all the options out there and they provide the best ride for 99% of the riders who'll ever climb on a Kat (guys like Meanstrk are an exception, because he'll have his knee down at max most of the time and actually has the skill to exploit a stickier, more race-biased tire -- and the riding habits to keep the racier tires running hotter so they stay in their ideal temp zone, something most riders won't manage on a Kat).

I can't transfer that bit of wisdom to every other bike on the planet, so I can't say if they'd be any good on bike ZZZ by manufacturer YYY. Each bike has a different geometry, different weight bias, different horse-power levels, different suspension, and all of these affect how any particular tire "Feels" and acts on a bike. For that kind of opinion ("hey, how's this tire on bike ZZZ?" ), you ought to ask around at a forum specific to bike ZZZ, or do what I did and literally buy a half-dozen pairs of tires in the right size & category, then try them back-to-back for a couple weeks of riding (sell the used ones on eBay -- as long as you mail-order smartly, you'll make all your tire purchase $$ back, just not mounting fees).

Originally posted by Genkenx2 View Post
          I got a Yamaha FZ1 I'm going to want to put new tires on before I go on a cross country trip this summer (the OEM's that are on it right now are about 5k old already). I want a good blend of sport rideability (I'm never gonna get my knee down, but I'd like the confidence to know that the tires can get me there) as well as longevity (considering I'm going to be potting down at least 4k miles on that trip) and solid wet road traction.

Would the Z6's fill that best for my bike as well, or do you recommend I try to find a different set of tires for the Fazer?
          I have no clue how well suited they'd be to the FZ1 specifically. Kat6 likes them on his YZF600 after trying a couple other tires, and Sjaak Lucassen rode around the world (literally - a five year journey) on them as his standard tires with his R1. If I had to venture a guess, I'd expect they'd be in the top 3 tires for what you're asking for, but there may be something better out there specifically for the FZ1.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Last edited by The CyberPoet; 05-18-2008, 12:05 AM. Reason: Clarity
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
            I like the Tomahawks, used them on my Futura. Anyone else use them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/180-5...QQcmdZViewItem
            Tomohawks are remanufactured tires. Just scares me. I would run them on a bike I used to run around town or teach the MSF course on but thats about it

As for long haul tires, you just cant beat the michelin road two. It has great sport grip on the sides, but ta tough center for longer wear. I am currently running the michelins on my 1250/ Just rode 2700 miles in 5 days. handles well. and not alot of excessive wear like the dunlops.
            Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

I can understand that. I would have went with them this time around, but dude was kinda short on the phone so I went with the 005's
              '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
              '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

Are the discussed tires available in 16s?

Comment

Some are. Suggest you look at the manufacturer's fitment databases for recommended tires specific to your bike if you've got a 16" wheel.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I can understand that. I would have went with them this time around, but dude was kinda short on the phone so I went with the 005's
                    you got lucky! i rode a pair of tomahawks into the ground,they didnt impress me,and they where toast in no time 4500-5000 miles of horribly scary cornering and i would not recomend them to anyone. just my .02 cets

Comment

Im a huge fan of my Avon Storms
                      Personal I liked the Z6 but love the Avons more for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by frobotz View Post
                        Tomohawks are remanufactured tires.
                        And that's the real problem -- you have no clue which carcass the retread is running on. If you ordered a 150/70ZR17, you could be just as readily sent a Z6 carcass retreaded as a Macadam carcass retreaded, and the handling of the two would be radically different even though they are labeled identically & have the same compound in the retread rubber.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I loved the Tomahawks and two of my buddies did too. One had it on a Gix 750 and the other a CBR 954. Those tires are xrayed to make SURE they are safe.

"German Laser Shearography testing of each of our remanufactured tires ensures a 100% quality product, just like our 225 MPH aircraft tires."

I just trust them, MO
                          '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                          '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

I loved the Tomahawks and two of my buddies did too. One had it on a Gix 750 and the other a CBR 954. Those tires are xrayed to make SURE they are safe.
                            I said you'll never know which carcass & windings you are running on, not that the winding and carcass would be unserviceable.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

FWIW, and for those folks running a 160 on the rear, or with another bike, I've been really happy with the Pilot Road 2's... I got about 6,000 miles on the PR2's on my FZ1, and about 10,000 miles on the PR2's on my ST1300... they're outstanding tires... touring in the center, with sport on the outside... best of both worlds... great tire shape... they don't quite "fall" into the corners like the Pilot Powers, but they aren't built like a car tire like the squared off Pilot Roads... kind of a nice middle ground.. easy turn in, but not extreme, and a good solid feel whether riding straight up, at full lean, or anywhere in between...
                              Nothin like watchin the sparks fly off the footpegs...

Comment

I like my metzler z6's alot
                                1991 GSX600F
                                1977 KZ750B
                                1980 CB900C

Comment

Working...
                                X