Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Want to go on a cross country trip next summer, ideas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is some great advice guys, keep it coming. I want to draw up a basic route so that I can make sure I do these things, most of them sound fantastic.

Comment

One last suggestion-

The people on this board sound pretty friendly. Maybe I am wrong as I a new here, but they do.
      When you have a route planned, post it and the approximate dates. See if anyone is willing to be an "emergency" stop.
      For example, if you were to have some mechanical problems or have a minor spill near me, I'd be happy to have you come to my garage and make some repairs.

Comment

That time is getting near.. only problem is I got a full time job now.. finding the time off is now going to be my biggest challenge.

I wanted to really make this trip something like 3 weeks, but I might have to make it 2 weeks or so...

Or maybe I should just ride to the rally this year instead... lol..

Comment

Originally posted by Genkenx2 View Post
          finding the time off is now going to be my biggest challenge.

I wanted to really make this trip something like 3 weeks, but I might have to make it 2 weeks or so...
          Ask for an extra week of "unpaid sabbatical".

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If you include the Grand Canyon in your trip I'd try and come in from the north. Southern AZ will already be holding temps in the 100's at night by then June/July.

Either way if you head there send me a PM I'll see about taking a day to meet up with you on your route I'm only 4 hours away anyway
            Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Boy, I'd sure try to do as much of that trip on Route 66 as I could. Start on Jackson Blvd. and go till you get to the Santa Monica Pier!

There is still quite a bit of old 66 left, or roads that are similar going the same direction. Check out some of the web sites, I think every state that the route goes through has an association.

Good luck and have a great time!
              Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.
              G. Tipton, R. Halford, K. Downing

sigpic

Comment

If it hasn't been posted yet, strongly suggest you look into a decent quality, all-weather GPS system if you don't have one yet. Program waypoints along the route to include things like rest stops, camping, mechanics, etc... Last thing you want is to be riding into bad weather (or have bike trouble for that matter) and have to guess where the closest help or shelter is.
                "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by jgmann67 View Post
                  If it hasn't been posted yet, strongly suggest you look into a decent quality, all-weather GPS system if you don't have one yet.
                  GPS? You lawyers are so spoiled... A paper map, a compass and a print-out of all the KatRiders & Suzuki dealerships along the way will get him through

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    GPS? You lawyers are so spoiled... A paper map, a compass and a print-out of all the KatRiders & Suzuki dealerships along the way will get him through

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    I agree - very spoiled... admitting that I have a problem is half the battle right??

Just spent the weekend at Boy Scout Camp with my son's Troop... Taught introductory orienteering - spent about an hour on how to properly use a compass, shoot an asthmith, etc. One kid says, "why don't I just use a GPS?"

I told him he could... after he mastered orienteering with a map, compass, protractor and a better attitude.
                    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

I am in the same mindset as CP on this.. I want to go as basic as I can (within safety limits). I imagine I'll be bringing a GPS (if my roommate will sell me the one he says he has for $50), but it's more for emergency than anything else.

And good news looks like I will be able to get the time off and do my trip. Was talking to my bosses at lunch the other day and they think it's a pretty cool idea.. so as long as I get a good, fun, relatively safe route put together (with gobs of scenery) I will be able to get out into my first real epic ride of my life (and my first real time out into the country period).

So here's to hoping everything comes together.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaKat View Post
                        Boy, I'd sure try to do as much of that trip on Route 66 as I could. Start on Jackson Blvd. and go till you get to the Santa Monica Pier!

There is still quite a bit of old 66 left, or roads that are similar going the same direction. Check out some of the web sites, I think every state that the route goes through has an association.

Good luck and have a great time!
                        Is trying to stick to Rt66 going to be the best route for what I want? (scenery, nature, landmarks, etc.)

I can take the RT66 to California, but I'm going to try a different route back up through the country (I absolutely have to hit Yellowstone, Yosemetie, etc.)

Comment

Man, I wish I had an old Win95 computer and my 1997 Rand McNally Tripmaker cd. I had the whole trip (2-way) done up with stopovers and everything. If you can find anything that will read it I'd email you a copy of the file. Odd that I still have the file itself too...

I'd try to stay the hell off the Interstate. Great for making time but no soul. I like Cyber Poet's idea of mapping out the attractions first and the developing the route.

I think US Highways and State roads would give a motorcyclist the best of what you are looking for most of the time. Another name for Route 66 used to be "America's Main Street".

I'll keep digging and see what I can come up with...
                          Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.
                          G. Tipton, R. Halford, K. Downing

sigpic

Comment

Cool, I'd appreciate it!

Yes I do plan on avoiding Interstates everywhere I can, there is nothing to be seen in the middle of a big 6 lane divided highway chugging behind a semi at 75 MPH.

Comment

Working...
                            X