X

A day at the track...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day at the track...

Last weekend I went to the local track here (Stratotech, just outside of Edmonton), and attended my very first race school. WHAT A BLAST!

We had a classroom session on Friday night, where they covered the basics of track riding, taught us the flags, etc, and then saturday morning we got right into it. The day started with a track walk, where the instructors (a bunch of them were EMRA/CMRA racers) explained each corner to us, where the braking zone should be, different lines, apexes, exits, and etc.... Then we made about 6 laps at moderate speed to learn the lines; picking up speed as we went through the sessions.

Overall, it was an awesome experience, and I'll definitely be hitting as many trackdays as I can this year. Now, because I didn't have the Kat to use (still waiting for motor to arrive), my buddy loaned me an early-90's ZX-6...not the greatest, but it was kinda fun! Started the day off on that, until I smacked a peg on corners 2 and 3, which nearly made me crap myself.

About an hour later, my buddy Dal got frustrated with his R6 racebike, and opted to ride his GSXR750 instead - therefore, I nabbed the "R", and was SO impressed with it that I ended up riding it the rest of the day! What a bloody rocketship! If you've ever ridden an R6, or other race replica, you'd know that they're nothing like the Kat - the power comes on instantly, and there's LOTS of it! To make matters worse, THIS particular bike was geared for stunting at -1/+15! So yes, I had an absolute blast rocketing down the backstretch in 5th with the front wheel 4 inches off the ground, and over half the tach to run!

By far, the best part about the school was getting to ride and learn with guys like Darren James and AMA champ Steve Crevier, who's skill just blew my mind....

Anyways, I've never had more fun in my life, and I'd recommend to EVERYONE that hasn't been on the track to do so as soon as possible!

Couple o' pics...

Steve Crevier rippin' it up!

Session 3 comin' into the hot pits...

FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

Awesome!
    05 GSX-600
    89 zx750r
    04 Honda TRX-450

Comment

Did you take the pictures of the guy dragging his hand? That is a nice shot.

Comment

Man do I wish I could find some place down that does track days. That's looks like so much fun. Not to mention what I could learn.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

The track is so much fun and such a great experiance. Thanks for sharing them pics and such!
          1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
          2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
          Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Looks like a blast!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

DooD,

You gotta let me know about these as they come up. I'ld definitely run up to the Chuck to do a track day.

Comment

I am going to attend my first track day in a month. I can't wait.
                Do you have any pointer, suggestions, or recommendation?

Comment

No, I didn't take the pic of the hand drag - I think at that point in the day I was just riding around the pits, trying to get used to the R6....The rider on that Buell is Darren James, and OH MY can he ever MOVE on that thing!

Originally posted by StblJmpr
                  DooD,

You gotta let me know about these as they come up. I'd definitely run up to the Chuck to do a track day.
                  Man, you don't NEED to come up here.....Race City has an assload of trackdays too!

The only upside that I find to Stratotech is the better pavement, and tighter, more technical track, which teaches you a lot more about choosing lines and such....

As to trackday tips, make sure you hydrate, and eat small amounts of nutritious foods throughout the day....on the hour is a good place to start - or in between each or every second track session. Then you need to hydrate. Oh, and you might want to hydrate too. Between three people, my friends and I went through 3 12-packs of bottled water....and it helped a LOT! You'll find that if you're hydrated, you won't be as drained near the end of the day.

Also, be sure to talk to people when you get there, and just chat it up about what kinda tire pressures, suspension settings, etc they might run; adjust yours accordingly. Oh, and make sure your bike is prepped. Most places want you to run distilled water and wetter instead of coolant or engine ice. It's an easier cleanup if something happens.....just check with your local track, and ask them about track day prep - they'll know everything. A good set of tires always helps too! ('cause they ain't gonna be very good at the end of the day!)
                  FrankenKat 1216
                  GS Fiter 816
                  GSXR750! (race)

Comment

a left handed track - how fun !

tim

Comment

nice pics. Looks like fun.
                      Kat78

Comment

Great pics man, glad you had a good experience !

Comment

Working...
                        X