X

Electrical gremlins - no tach, neutral light, brake light

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical gremlins - no tach, neutral light, brake light

Tweaked with my carbs some more with sinfulkat's guidance and got the bike running nicely. Took it out for a little joyride to err.. make sure there wasn't a stumble between 3,000 RPMs and redline. About 40 miles into the trip, I look down and my tach is bottomed out at zero, as if my ignition was off. Also, my indicators weren't working, and neither was my brake light (which I checked before getting into traffic!).

I tore into the bike back at home. No broken fuses, everything seemed to be wired up ok, headlamp still worked, highbeam indicator still worked, running light in the tail light worked, as did my license plate lamp.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of now, after having gone through and checked everything, is possibly my ignition switch isn't connecting things properly. I'm just confused, though. Any advice is appreaciated!
    Life is short and uncertain: eat your dessert first and ride every day.

Originally posted by Skier
    my tach is bottomed out at zero... my indicators weren't working, and neither was my brake light. No broken fuses, everything seemed to be wired up ok, headlamp still worked, highbeam indicator still worked, running light in the tail light worked, as did my license plate lamp.
    Power connection pigtail to the gauge panel would be my first guess.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I already reseated that, everything looked to be in order. Would that actually make my indicators and stop lamp not work?

Comment

Originally posted by Skier
        I already reseated that, everything looked to be in order. Would that actually make my indicators and stop lamp not work?
        Yes, because there are lights in the dash in the blinker circuit (ever notice the bulbs in the dash flashing to show the turn-signal is on?)...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok, looks like at least part of the problem has been solved. I double-checked the fuses after giving everything a thorough inspection (including repairing some very questionable work done by a previous owner), I noticed my indicator fuse WAS, in fact, burned out. Now, as to why it happened, I'm not sure. I'm hoping it was caused by one of the chunks of wiring I fixed, but I can't be sure. I guess I'm just gonna have to carry some extra fuses on me, just in case.

Thanks for all the help, as usual. I hate electrical work and wanted some guidance before wasting my time (too late for that ).

Comment

Working...
          X