No announcement yet.
X

How's everyones winter projects coming?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's everyones winter projects coming?

Well it's January and I'm starting to make a bit of progress in my project. This fall I picked up a '93 750... needed a motor, rear wheel and left side plastic. As most projects start out, I was just going to fix the broken stuff and ride but then started surfing ebay.... just the basics of course 'well it needs a rear wheel, why not upgrade to a 5.5 inch' hee hee hee :P Next thing ya know I've got a 6" off an 04 gsxr1000 which means the front doesn't match, so hey why not convert the front Well ya know what happens when you start down this path... needless to say I ended up buying the following:

03 gsxr 600 front end complete
    f4i front brake system complete
    04 gsxr 1000 front wheel with 03 600 rotors
    new michelin pilot sports (180/120)
    03 600 swing arm w/linkage
    04 1000 shock and rear brake
    04 gsxr rear sets
    ebc hh pads
    stainless lines
    replacement 750 engine ($142.50 )
    Dyna 2000 digital ignition with 2.2 ohm coils
    New left fairing, r/l lower, sportech chrome windshield, solo cowl

I'm sure I'm forgetting something... I'm on a first name basis with the ups guy now I don't have much left to buy... just a chain/sprockets and re-spring the suspension I think. I have my bike almost stripped to the frame and now have a sh*t load af machining to do to make this stuff all fit. I've contemplated how to solve the swingarm fitment situation and think I'm going to spin up some slugs, press them into the axle tube and offset and bush with katana bearings (tube is WAY to big). New shock mounts seam easy as does the subframe mod but not sure what type of mess I'll run into with the front end swap... I have my project total in excel and needless to say I'm a bit over budget at least I'm done spending $$$.... 3 more months....

Her's a pic when I got her home..

Comment

Current status....

Comment

There's also going to be a fair amount of good parts coming off this thing that I won't be using, anyone need anything?

Comment

Originally posted by guy2600
          There's also going to be a fair amount of good parts coming off this thing that I won't be using, anyone need anything?
          I need a red rake

hope you get it together before spring

Comment

Great project!! Keep us updated!!! With pics, of course!!
            PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Well, mine started off needing a frame and plastics....Replaced the plastics, and figured it might be time to upgrade, so I found a B-12 motor. Now I'm having it sent to Holeshot.....

Then I started thinking about all the other stuff I wanted for it, and ended up shipping a kidney to CP for all those suspension goodies he has.... (Finally arrived! picking them up later today!) Then I figured I'd try to make it unique, and found some GSXF emblems on Ebay - sorry to whoever else was bidding, but I threw down a max bid of $150, so you wouldn't have won anyways. :P

Aside from the motor, just the small things remaining to do - like....the motor swap, all new Galfer brakes, have my new plastics painted, install the vinyls, get the dogbones from ne-oublie, put the new suspension stuff in, and then get rubber/chain/sprockets/undertail/windscreen etc.

After all that though, I still havn't solved problem #1! So then I'll have to chop it apart and TIG my frame back together....Oh, these next 5 months are going to be insane.....
              FrankenKat 1216
              GS Fiter 816
              GSXR750! (race)

Comment

wow. you guys are doing a boatload of work! are you independently wealthy, or just single? I kinda hate to post that my winter project is replacing the stock exhaust with a wileyco slip on it is supposed to arrive monday.

Comment

I need a red rake
                  sorry dude the red rake stays

I found a B-12 motor. Now I'm having it sent to Holeshot.....
                  SWEET!! what are you having done to it? So what type of frame damage did you have to your bike? Keep an eye out on ebay, I've seen several frames go for cheap $$ over the last 4 months. What are you doing to the suspension? Dude post some pics of this thing...

are you independently wealthy, or just single?
                  Well I've been on unlimited overtime for the last 3 months so this is what I've done with the cash. I've hooked up with really good deals off ebay so it's not quite as expensive as it might appear but still $$$. Now I need to focus on building it...

Comment

I havent started mine yet, other than winterizing Ive had to concentrate on the holidays first. But lets see by this time next month I hope to have the brake fluid changed, new exhaust put on, and the new gold anodized pegs.

Comment

Well I pulled the motor and front end off today. Confirmed the late model gsxr front end swap is far from a bolt in. Stem bearings do not swap and it appears neither will the lock. Looks like the katana stearing stem is welded in, haven't checked how the stearing stops match up. Not sure if I'm going to machine up a custom stem and use katana bearings or use the gixxer stem and buy custom bearings/races... Oh well, time to prepare for the pats game

Comment

I ordered the SS brake lines and HH brakes, also a set of speed bleeders from Cyber. There's a few other mods I'd like to do but it all depends on the $$ flow.
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I've got the new tail. Now I need to repair the crack and chip in it, paint it, get the integrated taillight, then mount it all up. Now to get a few days to work on it. Luckily I know have everyweekend off until mid-April so I should actually get some time to work on it.

I aslo want to bleed my brake lines, change the oil, and see if I can figure out why the engine is running so rough.
                          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                          -Terence

Comment

Every month I fight between the urge to dump large sums into my bike's loan, or blow on parts. I have my bike running again, and I only need to straighten the subframe to complete the repairs from the GAP festivities. Brakes have new pads and new brake lines up front. The weather is so nice though that I can't seem to get to work on the bikes looks; I have been spending time and money on messing with the performance since I have started riding again.

The fairings and paint as well as the custom work I am doing with a new tail light and undertray are taking some time due to this new job I have started. I found a place with a garage and yard, so I have plenty of room to work. Whether or not I am at the Rally this year, I hope to have the bike looking like I want by then.
                            TiM

Comment

what cosmetic parts are you willing to part with/getting rid of?

Long Live the D

Comment

Working...
                              X