No announcement yet.
X

Tipping factor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I bought my first Kat I got it home and gave it a nice bath. Then decided to go for a nice mid day ride. On my way out my mom asked me to stop at the hardware store and copy a key for her. So i agreed and off i went to the store five mins down the road. I parked at the very edge of the lot and walked in the store. When i came back out my kat was laying on its side and i was ****ed thinking i forgot to put it in gear and it rolled off the stand. After a min or two long flow of profanity I picked her up and begain damage assesment. Found a few scuffs with tar from the recent pavement resurfacing, a bent clutch lever and a busted mirror mount. So after checking everything i finally got it running and limped it home. Later that day i got a call from the hardware store saying a guy came in and said he witnessed a guy in a crappy red blazer back into the back of my bike pushing it forward off the stand. Well this being a small town i found the blazer in question with ease. There arent too many red blazers around that have a "start hitting motorcycles" bumper sticker. Sparing the details its sufficent to say i got even.

Comment

Originally posted by 750Djvala View Post
      When I bought my first Kat I got it home and gave it a nice bath. Then decided to go for a nice mid day ride. On my way out my mom asked me to stop at the hardware store and copy a key for her. So i agreed and off i went to the store five mins down the road. I parked at the very edge of the lot and walked in the store. When i came back out my kat was laying on its side and i was ****ed thinking i forgot to put it in gear and it rolled off the stand. After a min or two long flow of profanity I picked her up and begain damage assesment. Found a few scuffs with tar from the recent pavement resurfacing, a bent clutch lever and a busted mirror mount. So after checking everything i finally got it running and limped it home. Later that day i got a call from the hardware store saying a guy came in and said he witnessed a guy in a crappy red blazer back into the back of my bike pushing it forward off the stand. Well this being a small town i found the blazer in question with ease. There arent too many red blazers around that have a "start hitting motorcycles" bumper sticker. Sparing the details its sufficent to say i got even.
      And just implicated yourself all over the internet. Way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        After a while you learn to watch the ground slope. It becomes automatic. Parking in gear isn't a bad idea, though. When I took the MSF course (again) this summer the instructors made a big deal out of it as well as pointing the wheel to the left to lean the bike over more. I've been parking in neutral so long that it's habit now, though. I just park facing uphill.
        Word. You also learn to park in places you can drive out of, so you don't have to do the rearward-duckwalk for 20 feet, or the off-the-bike rearward pull like you're walking a dirtbike out of a trailer. I usually ride between the cars in parking lots so I can aim out of my space.

Parking in gear is great, unless you routinely bypass every safety switch that your bikes come with..... then it becomes something of a problem if you forget that it's in gear.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Funny (not haha funny), I tipped mine the day after bragging that I had never tipped it! Was getting off after a ride and didn't have the kickstand all the way forward. As I was getting off I felt the bike tipping as the stand folded back up, but being on one leg and having the other in the air I was barely able to balance enough to keep MYSELF from falling. I'm sure I must have been quite a site to see hopping to the left on one leg and trying to catch my balance with a look of terror on my face that my bike was inevitably gonna hit the ground! Thank goodness the cover was laying on the side where it fell and it didn't suffer a scratch! ....lesson learned!
          Still riding on back sissy girl???

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGirl.00 View Post
            Funny (not haha funny), I tipped mine the day after bragging that I had never tipped it! Was getting off after a ride and didn't have the kickstand all the way forward. As I was getting off I felt the bike tipping as the stand folded back up, but being on one leg and having the other in the air I was barely able to balance enough to keep MYSELF from falling. I'm sure I must have been quite a site to see hopping to the left on one leg and trying to catch my balance with a look of terror on my face that my bike was inevitably gonna hit the ground! Thank goodness the cover was laying on the side where it fell and it didn't suffer a scratch! ....lesson learned!
            That's why we wear full-face helmets. They hide the "shame factor".
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

After tipping mine in a friends driveway, I learned some fun new habits (real fast). I evaluate the ground slope (as noted by Bill), I always park facing up the grade (as noted by LoudnLow), and I always ALWAYS give a little pull on the handlebars, to the rear, to ensure the side stand is fully deployed, and seated well on the ground.
              ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
              チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
              Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                lol! No doubt. I always double check the stand now and kick it a little to make sure it's all the way forward. I was just glad I didn't mess up anything on the bike.
                Still riding on back sissy girl???

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                  Too bad I hadn't thought of that earlier in life.... I could have eased the walk of shame after plowing a fattie. (Don't judge me, we've all needed a slumpbuster at some time or another!) Just toss the helmet on, and walk out. Completely avoids eye contact with the roommates/parents/siblings/kids.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by 750Djvala View Post

getting even< felony hit and run
                    "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
                    2004 marauder 800

Comment

cool i dont feel as bad now mine was parked i was off it at a buddys house in the process of taking my lid off and mine slid forward of the stand and fell bent the clutch lever up bad i felt real dumb being as i was two feet away and i watched it happen lol

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                        And just implicated yourself all over the internet. Way to go.
                        I said I got even. I never said it was in a malicious way. I didnt hurt anyone or even damage property. There are many legal ways to get at people. Could I have just called in his plate and had him for felony hit and run? In a large city yes, but out here in boo-foo country when the police chief, the judge and the douche bag are all related not much gets done.

Comment

Tipping is a fear of mine. So am I paranoid in that, when I park my bike I pull back on the handle bars to make sure the kick stand is set???
                          2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

I eased my to the ground a few weeks ago. I stalled it going up the driveway and it was past the point of no return. I fought the good fight but ended up doing little more than slowing it's trip to it's side. The bad part is I thin tried to pick it up by myself, wrenching my back pretty good. I finally had to get Tim's attention and have him come down and help me pick my bike up and suffer the "WTF?!?!?!"'s.
                            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                              (Don't judge me, we've all needed a slumpbuster at some time or another!) Just toss the helmet on, and walk out. Completely avoids eye contact with the roommates/parents/siblings/kids.
                              +1

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                              I eased my to the ground a few weeks ago. I stalled it going up the driveway and it was past the point of no return. I fought the good fight but ended up doing little more than slowing it's trip to it's side. The bad part is I thin tried to pick it up by myself, wrenching my back pretty good. I finally had to get Tim's attention and have him come down and help me pick my bike up and suffer the "WTF?!?!?!"'s.
                              Your Driveway, F THAT!!! I didn't think my Tahoe was going to make it out of the driveway alive.
                              Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                                After a while you learn to watch the ground slope. It becomes automatic. Parking in gear isn't a bad idea, though. When I took the MSF course (again) this summer the instructors made a big deal out of it as well as pointing the wheel to the left to lean the bike over more. I've been parking in neutral so long that it's habit now, though. I just park facing uphill.
                                I never park in neutral.....never never ever ever. just always park in 1st. it is a good habit to get into....in case you can't park uphill :

Originally posted by xXstreetbikedethXx View Post
                                lol have u ever had your jeans get stuck on the footpeg? you tip over and can't do anything about it. and if someone sees ya apperently its the funniest thing to watch lol
                                never had my pant leg get caught, but my laces on my work boots did once. by time I realized what was happening and took my other foot off the peg, it was too late and I couldn't reach the ground. I got lucky on that one cuz both the bike and I ended up on the grass cuz I was at the edge of the driveway. my dad and my bro were sitting on the deck drinking a beer and saw the whole thing. my bro asked if I needed help and I said, "nope, I got it".

started to go over another time with my ex on the back. I told her to get off cuz I couldn't hold it with her on it, and she pushes off the wrong side, sending me over. I didn't want to scratch the bike, so I stayed with it and kept my leg under it. good thing I had my leather on cuz the exhaust was on my leg. stupid **** was embarrassed, so she bailed and went into my shop and left me there. two guys came out of the restaurant next door, about 5 minutes later and saw me laying there and picked my bike up. I could have wiggled my way out and lifted it myself and saved some embarrassment, but hey....my paint was more important than my pride.
                                Last edited by Mojoe; 11-01-2011, 01:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                X