Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I'M LOST!!! How do I find out where I am?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the problems I have with people using a GPS is that they don't think to pay attention to where they are or how they're getting to where they want to go. They just follow the GPS. If you look at the map before leaving then if the GPS dies or just flakes out you'll know where you are and how you got there.

Don't get me wrong, a GPS is great for finding a good route as well as helping you find the next turn. It just shouldn't be a replacement for thought.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have GPS hardwired to the bike power supply ... I have a GPS thinky on my phone .... but I'm usually following someone soooooooooooooo I never pay attention to where we are so they are both great if I need to get home early to find my way back hahahhha
      Guylaine
      Try and keep up now

Comment

Very good replies. If you're really really lost and need to navigate the old fashioned way, and there are no people around (how likely is that) here's what you do.

For the northern hemisphere people, you wait until dark, then find the North Star, Polaris. Determine the angle of Polaris above the horizon (or horizontal if you can't find the horizon). That is your Latitude. If you don't have an octant, you can get creative with ways to find an angle, and then use your compass wheel to find the value of the angle. Using sticks and string to sight Polaris you find that it is 40 degrees above the horizon. Your Latitude is 40 degrees North.

Now take a nap. Feel free to sleep in.

At noon the next day (by the sun, not your watch), mark the time on your watch. Since there are 360 degrees of Longitude and 24 hours in a day, the earth will spin 15 degrees per hour. Let's say your watch is set to Eastern time and reads 12:34 at local noon. GMT, is 5 hours ahead, so it is 5:34 PM GMT. So, your longitude is 5 x 15 = 75 degrees 34/60 x 15 = 8.5 75+8.5 = 83.5 Degrees West.

So you are 40 degrees North 83.5 Degrees West. You now know exactly where you are and using your compass and map you can find out which direction will lead you towards civilization.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
          So you are 40 degrees North 83.5 Degrees West. You now know exactly where you are and using your compass and map you can find out which direction will lead you towards civilization.
          No, you still have no clue where you are as most maps aren't marked with lat/long.
          If you a map, all you have to do is figure out what road you're on, then assuming no sun, find two cross streets or identifiable locations on a map, to figure out which direction is which.

I mean, seriously, you're going to spend a freaking day to figure out where you are??? Even if I'm in the middle of the freaking woods with no trails, I'm not going to go to those lengths to figure out where I am. With a compass, a topo map, and a couple landmarks, I can tell you where I am in just a few minutes. I don't need no freakin' sextant.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Also in case of cannibalism you would last a few extra days
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

When I lived in the Channel Islands I used to just ride in a straight line until I hit the coast, then take the coastroad working my way around until I got to where I knew where I was going. Fun times.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                Also in case of cannibalism you would last a few extra days
                TOTKO, not disagreeing, jussayin'.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I just installed a 12v cigarette lighter so I can plug in the gps. No more batteries but I always carry spares my flashlight and gps both take AA so I'm never without.

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                    No, you still have no clue where you are as most maps aren't marked with lat/long.
                    If you a map, all you have to do is figure out what road you're on, then assuming no sun, find two cross streets or identifiable locations on a map, to figure out which direction is which.

I mean, seriously, you're going to spend a freaking day to figure out where you are??? Even if I'm in the middle of the freaking woods with no trails, I'm not going to go to those lengths to figure out where I am. With a compass, a topo map, and a couple landmarks, I can tell you where I am in just a few minutes. I don't need no freakin' sextant.
                    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Very good replies. If you're really really lost and need to navigate the old fashioned way, and there are no people around (how likely is that) here's what you do.

For the northern hemisphere people, you wait until dark, then find the North Star, Polaris. Determine the angle of Polaris above the horizon (or horizontal if you can't find the horizon). That is your Latitude. If you don't have an octant, you can get creative with ways to find an angle, and then use your compass wheel to find the value of the angle. Using sticks and string to sight Polaris you find that it is 40 degrees above the horizon. Your Latitude is 40 degrees North.

At noon the next day (by the sun, not your watch), mark the time on your watch. Since there are 360 degrees of Longitude and 24 hours in a day, the earth will spin 15 degrees per hour. Let's say your watch is set to Eastern time and reads 12:34 at local noon. GMT, is 5 hours ahead, so it is 5:34 PM GMT. So, your longitude is 5 x 15 = 75 degrees 34/60 x 15 = 8.5 75+8.5 = 83.5 Degrees West.

That would be seriously awesome advice if you were lost at sea, or maybe in the Sahara. Not so awesome being lost on backroads.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Pull over and ask "Hey, where am I and how to do get to.... "

Worked for many a year anyways.

Krey
                        true story... I managed a Burger King back in the day. One Saturday afternoon, a guy walks into the store and comes up to the counter with that completely lost look on his face.

"Where am I?" He asks.

Nice and slow, I say, " Buuuuuurrrrrggggeerrrrr Kiiiiiiing."
                        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

samsung captivate.....

GPS, PHONE, MAPS, TRAIL FINDER NAVI, COMPAS, SURVIVAL GUIDE, etc etc etc

personally ive never been lost.
                          sun rises in the east, sets in the west.
                          night sky is easy for seeing towns and cities in the distance
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I usually follow the breadcrums back to my house...

Have you ever wondered how those big maps on the walls know exactly where you are??

and lastly...if all else fails, just follow someone, you might be lost, but they sure as hell know where they are going...
                            "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

OK, so you found some cool info on primitive navigation methods. Cool. I can get into that. Coulda' posed the question better.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Option B, ride till you find some power lines..follow them...you will find something they are powering.
                                Last edited by talmajar; 06-30-2011, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X