Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I'M LOST!!! How do I find out where I am?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'M LOST!!! How do I find out where I am?

Ok, so you're out riding your kat through the middle of nowhere. You look down at your handy gps to see where you are, but OH NO the batteries are dead.

Luckily you have a compass, a map, and a watch. How do you find out where you are?

Look at what direction you've been headed, and for how long..... and then reference it to the last place you knew you were at. Just a guess.

I don't use a GPS generally, and I don't have this problem. Ride until you see a highway or something that you are familiar with. I've never gotten anywhere that I was really lost for more than 10 minutes or so. As soon as a major highway comes up, or a sign showing mileage to a city that I know, then I know where I am at.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I have a good memory for where i have been/what i've seen, i turn around and follow the landmarks i have seen on my journey to get back to someplace familiar.
      Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
        Ride until you see a highway or something that you are familiar with. I've never gotten anywhere that I was really lost for more than 10 minutes or so. As soon as a major highway comes up, or a sign showing mileage to a city that I know, then I know where I am at.

If I can find a highway, I can get home. I always get a little scared when the yellow lines disappear, but Ive always made it home.

--And you should hardwire a 12v outlet so you GPS doesnt go dead.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Pull over and ask "Hey, where am I and how to do get to.... "

Worked for many a year anyways.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Pull over and ask "Hey, where am I and how to do get to.... "

Worked for many a year anyways.

Krey
            Thats for women...
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I tend to carry a map me or as I usually do not ride with a gps but depending on the time of the day I can tell where east or west is and then I can orient this in my head to the direction I need to get to.
              -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
              sigpic

Comment

I agree with most of the posts above. Last resort is to ask.

I once got lost because I had a map with me. I thought I could take these super awesome looking back roads to avoid the interstate. I made one wrong turn because the map was in my tail bag. I added 3 hours of driving to my trip. I did get to see some pretty cool stuff and I made it to where I was going by dark. So i guess that is really a win win!

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                  Thats for women...

Comment

I thought that getting lost was all part of the fun ? ?
                    sigpic2006 GSX600F

Comment

I pull out my phone and boot of the GPS app, then wonder how the GPS battery managed to go dead while plugged in of course
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I usually go over and pick my bike up and then use the stars that are going around my head to navigate home.

Comment

Originally posted by slip304 View Post
                          I thought that getting lost was all part of the fun ? ?
                          Yup.......as long as you have gas and don't hear any bangos.
                          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Hardwire your gps power supply, no more battery trouble. Map wise, they are alot easier to use on the road than they are in the middle of the woods or desert.
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Just say "who the **** cares where I am at, I have fuel, and I am in the middle of nowhere. Follow the paved road, end up having to fill up in some honky tonk town that you never heard of, hear the local old farmers rant about "kids and their jap bikes" (this happed to me today while in the middle of nowhere somewhere between Nebraska and Kansas LOL. I went out and rode the stix for a bit. Lotta fun but forgot to tuck my shirt in...now I have this great 1 inch by 10 inch sunburnt spot on my lower back! its awesome(not)

Comment

Working...
                              X