X

GPS Thoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Thoughts

I may be in the market for a GPS system that mounts to my Kat. In my local group, there are several that have them, and seem to work really well when riding the unfamiliar back roads.
    I was wondering if anyone around here has one, or uses one on a regular basis, and your thoughts about it. There seems to be several mainstream brands that vary in expense; they are Garmin, TomTom, and Magellan. Are there features that you wish that you had gotten, or ones that are just not needed?
    Thanks-
    It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

I just bought myself a Tom Tom One as a Christmas present. It works great and was only $150 on sale. It is nice and small so that I can take it off the bike and stick it into my pocket. Also, it will fit in the map pocket nicely on my tank bag, until I get the mount on the bike. I haven't installed it on the bike yet. I found the Ram Mount that I will use for this. It cost like $35 - $40 for the mount. Then I will just have to run power to the mount.

I like the GPS even better than the one in my wife truck from Garmin. It displays all the info you would ever need on the one screen. It is a lot more compact as well. It also has a handy feature for bikers. If you put in a destination and there are dirt roads to that location, it will ask you if you want to take the dirt roads or paved roads only. That is sweet!! I will take pavement, thank you. I don't want to be cruising on dirt roads just because it is a little faster, when I am on my bike.

Circuit City had a special on them during the holidays. You might be able to get one for $150 still.

I really enjoy mine. I have been using it in the car until bike weather arrives.
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Comment

I bought a Garmin Zumo back in November. I've been very happy with it so far, but have not used it on a bike yet.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Not meaning to highjack the thread, but I was wondering about maps. I got a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx for Christmas and I love it so far. Still has the default map.
        Last edited by steves; 01-24-2008, 08:21 AM. Reason: Please don't discuss potentially illegal ways of obtaining software.

Comment

I use the Garmin Zumo 550 and it's wonderful. All features that I wanted are included out of the box. And really easy to move from bike to car too. I find it great that I can just go for a loooong ride on roads I've never been to before - and at any time just press "go home" I had a special RAM mounting bracket (can't find the right word) made here http://www.telferizer.co.uk/prods.html#suzuki

Comment

Originally posted by Dane-Kat View Post
            I had a special RAM mounting bracket (can't find the right word) made here http://www.telferizer.co.uk/prods.html#suzuki
            This mounting bracket, there is a listing for all of 'em but our GSXF for the Suzuki. Does it work with our triple-tree??

THX. I will go check out these models.
            It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Originally posted by StblJmpr View Post
              Not meaning to highjack the thread, but I was wondering about maps. I got a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx for Christmas and I love it so far. Still has the default map.
              I had the updated maps from a co-worker. But that was in 2001
              Did you check the Garmin site for free updates?

Oh and I mounted my GPS with a rubber band. Worked great.

Comment

I have a Garmin Nuvi works very well but dont have specific bike mount yet

Comment

Originally posted by tnvatdreamland View Post
                  This mounting bracket, there is a listing for all of 'em but our GSXF for the Suzuki. Does it work with our triple-tree??

THX. I will go check out these models.
                  Right, there are no photos of the GSX-F / Katana yet on the website. They actually asked me to send them some photos to be used for that purpose, but I haven't gotten around to it yet
                  But write the guy an email, and say that it's for a GSX-F (and model year) then he knows what to send you. Also, you can choose if you want the RAM-mount on one of the four bolts on the headstock or if you'd prefer the RAM to sit on the center-bolt. Argh, not sure if I'm making sense now. When it comes to technical language, my vocabulary is falling short...

Comment

I'd like to get a zumo, but GPS is not in the books right now.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I have a Garmin GPS330 with a Ram Mount and handle-bar bracket mounted on my right clip-on. I ran power to the CA plug, and it works great.

Once you go GPS, you could never really go back. It really takes the worry out of navigation, of having to stop & pull over to check a map, or try to read one while rolling (shivers at the thought!). The GPS330 is a great unit, very affordable, and has a large display which is pretty easy to read in bright sunlight. It even has a nice lady's voice that will tell you when to turn!

I named my GPS 'Denise", after my wife... Because it always tells me where to go.
                      Originally posted by Nero
                      "Be the ball, Danny. Be the ball."
                      SUPPORT YOUR FORUM: Buy a KR decal!

MY 2001 600 KATANA - Sold... But never forgotten.

Comment

the ones with the zumo....a fuel gauge? how does that work? we got my dad the nuvi 360 for christmas and it is great, exceptional quality.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
                        X