Hauling your bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauling your bike

EDIT *****

Even though this is a thread from a couple years ago all the information is still pertinent and very useful so you'll have to just overlook some of the thoughts about the 2006 rally that are included in this thread and mainly scan through it for all the valuable information on hauling your bike and what all is involved to get your ride safely transported when you're not riding it.

Since we all are starting to think about the rally, even if at this point its still alittle ways away, now is as good a time as any to post up all the best info on hauling your bike.

Since many of us will be hauling our bikes either by trailer on in a pickup to rally instead of riding down to the Gap ( Like braadajim and getting caught in a torrential downpour the whole way ) Lets make this the official thread to post up all the pics and best info for hauling your bike. We talked about this before on KR but in order to help keep everything for the rally in one spot for easy access, we'll stick a new thread on the subject here to answer everyone's questions and make sure we all have our bikes kept in 1 piece on the way there and on the way
    home. 8)

do NOT put your bike on a rear stand in the trailer!

Comment

Bring extra tiedown straps. You will lose some driving through the gap (snap!) no matter how slow you go.
      TiM

Comment

Originally posted by sexwax
        Bring extra tiedown straps. You will lose some driving through the gap (snap!) no matter how slow you go.
        That's what Happen to Haggis and freckles, the contant turns cut through the tie down on freckles bike and 2 turns before the dragon ended over the side she went .
        Kyle

Comment

I'm gonna be hauling mine down underneath me. You up for it again Kyle, and Todd?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
              I'm gonna be hauling mine down underneath me. You up for it again Kyle, and Todd?
              Yup , might look into Sturdier saddle bags between now and then though.
              Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                Yup , might look into Sturdier saddle bags between now and then though.
                Didn't like the princess auto ones? Just curious as to why, Cause i'll be taking mine down this year. Fully loaded with beer. Good beer. And I'll be returning with them fully loaded with dip. Good Dip. Sweeeet tradeoff

Comment

The stitching on one of the straps were it connects to the bag is starting to go. I may just stitch it back up, but if a deal on ebay or something comes along.....
                  Kyle

Comment

Make also if u do buy new tie down straps, to get the ratchet type of straps and get the highest test strength you can. I was going to go w/ 600lb test but thought better of it and went for the 1000lb test instead just to be safe.

2 tie down in the front on the lower triple clamp and 2 on the rear strapped to the rear peg mounts and then one coming off the rear tire to the back of the trailer just to be safe. Bikes didnt move an inch even up and down the dragon. We did stop periodically on the way down and back just to check the straps and tighten them since it was raining on the way down they did work just a tad loose now and then from getting wet.

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                      That's what Happen to Haggis and freckles, the contant turns cut through the tie down on freckles bike and 2 turns before the dragon ended over the side she went .
                      I know. My bike didn't go over, because I slowed way down before that, but I lost a few straps too.
                      TiM

Comment

I would also recommend a Canyon Dancer. I ended up buying one at the CROT and I am glad that I did. It made me feel a lot better about driving through the Gap with the bike in the bed of the truck.

In case you wanted to know how Range and Junior got their bikes in Range's truck check out this pic. For a second while they were loading I thought that they were going to make Haggi ride back to Canada down in between the bikes.
                        Attached Files

Comment

You're gonna make me do it , aren't you ? :
                          Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                            In case you wanted to know how Range and Junior got their bikes in Range's truck check out this pic.

Damn...my ass looks great! Oh wait, that's Freckles.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                              Originally posted by tzortn
                              In case you wanted to know how Range and Junior got their bikes in Range's truck check out this pic.

Damn...my ass looks great! Oh wait, that's Freckles.
                              But you are sporting the sexy do-rag in that pic.

Comment

Working...
                              X