X

center stand install how to

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install center stand

This seems like the best thread on centerstands, so I figured I'd resurrect it with one more tip on how to put on a pre-stand without bashing any knuckles.

First, take a look at that nut just behind where the L-bracket thing is supposed to mount.

Now find a socket & extension that will fit over that nut and behind the L-bracket, as well as something to push the L-bracket once it's in place.

Put something under the centerstand so that it wants to stay up, then leverage the L-bracket over to where it needs to be. Push on the bracket with your screwdriver or whatever to get it in place.

That's it. A lot easier than messing around with the springs IMO.

Comment

Holy old thread I know... but does the L bracket replace the spring? Or do they all go together? I'm installing/buying the hardward for a 91 Kat 600 center stand and on the fiche it doesn't have an L bracket..

Comment

Originally posted by Eskimo10 View Post
        Holy old thread I know... but does the L bracket replace the spring? Or do they all go together? I'm installing/buying the hardward for a 91 Kat 600 center stand and on the fiche it doesn't have an L bracket..
        Nobody knows? Or are you guys holding out on me? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Eskimo10 View Post
          Nobody knows? Or are you guys holding out on me? lol

The springs hook to the bracket on the pre. Check the fiche for the 750 pres, that will show the parts.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            The springs hook to the bracket on the pre. Check the fiche for the 750 pres, that will show the parts.

Krey
            Gracias! How come the fiche for the 600 didn't have it?

Comment

It might, you just have to look for it

I think the centerstand was an option on the 600's, and standard on the 750's.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ah, makes sense. Thanks guys!

Comment

Bolt size?

Could some one tell me what size & thread pitch the two bolts for center stand are on a 2004 600? I picked up a bike and received the center stand without bolts. Thanks riders.

Updated:
                  Just to throw the info out the 98-on 600's use two M10, 1.25 pitch at 55or 60mm length.
                  Last edited by Hellssorrow; 07-04-2013, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adriel View Post
                    This seems like the best thread on centerstands, so I figured I'd resurrect it with one more tip on how to put on a pre-stand without bashing any knuckles.

First, take a look at that nut just behind where the L-bracket thing is supposed to mount.

Now find a socket & extension that will fit over that nut and behind the L-bracket, as well as something to push the L-bracket once it's in place.

Put something under the centerstand so that it wants to stay up, then leverage the L-bracket over to where it needs to be. Push on the bracket with your screwdriver or whatever to get it in place.

That's it. A lot easier than messing around with the springs IMO.
                    Bump
                    I used a deep socket because it lifted the L-bracket a little higher to reach the pin...So, rest the L-bracket on top of the socket, use the extension for leverage to get the socket on the bolt, pushed the L-bracket on to the pin, lift /lower the center stand and tighten the bolt at the point where it swings smoothly= happiness !

I suggest someone saving these photos before the hosting service goes off line or deletes them.
                    Last edited by katanarider; 11-29-2018, 07:24 AM.
                    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Comment

It appears forum member "adriel", who posted the above how to, had the centerstand positioned in the folded up position with some thing holding it against the frame. I personally bolted the left side bolt snug and let the centerstand hang down while my bike was held up in the air by my swingarm lift. I had to fight the spring for several minutes while half the socket was partially on the bolt at a angle. This is where a nice long socket extension allows for leverage to pull up on the spring in order to get the socket completely on the bolt head. Other guys may want to try his method
                        It took me about 5-10 minutes from start to finish after I already had my bike on my swingarm lift where I could get under the bike...and had my exhaust already removed of course.
                        Last edited by katanarider; 12-01-2018, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Anyone know what size bolts for the center stand. Tried using my tap gauge but hard to get an accurate measurement off the nuts while under the bike.

Comment

This may be too obvious, but I'll say it any way just in case. Its a metric bolt just like every thing else not made in America.

Comment

Yeah figured that much. Was wondering about the pitch. Hard to match up under there. Even though we're metric up here its hard to find metric bolts. Cant just go to the local hardware store.

Comment

Sorry not sure, it's been a long time since I installed one, and a long time since I owned one.

Looks like it's M10x63 based on that ebay link.
                                -Steve

sigpic
                                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                                X