X

1990 kat chain size?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 kat chain size?

So the jeeps "done" and out of the shop so time to start on the Kat. Buddy ordered a chain for his bike and ordered the wrong siize and got a 520.. The Kat takes a a 530 chain right? Whats the difference between a 520 and 530? Is it the width of it? I've learned from here not to cheap out on driveline parts but was wondering if it will work while I get the bike running again before I can fork out for new chain and sprockets. Basically for test drives around the block.

lol as I type this I already know the answer.

anyway heres the Kat when previous owner had it.

And today in the mostly clean shop.

520 is a smaller link chain. You could change over to a 520 chain these days, as they have been strengthen compared to what they used to make. I'll stick with the 530 o-ring or x-ring EK,RK OR D.I.D chains la monze chains are pretty good also.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks junker. So the 520 is the length of the links not the width. Thought it might have been the width. SO much to learn about bikes! I'm sure there will be lots more dumb newb questions in the coming months! lol

Comment

Width, 530 is a beefier chain...
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

When I did the chain and sprockets on my '94, the shop guy's like "oh, that'll be a 520" as he's looking it up in the book. He finds the listing "geez, that thing takes a 530, never would have guessed". So, not surprised someone would end up with a 520 chain instead of a 530...

Comment

It is a little over kill these days. But, back then I'm sure the chains were a little weaker.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
            X