X
X

How to Paint your Bike or Bike Parts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow you rock,that was very cool of you to take time to wright this up.thank you

Comment

Did you guys wet sand the paint between coats or did you wet sand again before applying the clear? I'm painting mine right now and i have some small spots that aren't completely smooth in the paint and i wet sanded the primer with 400 before painting however there are still those spots. would it hurt to wet sand and apply a final coat of paint? Just want to make sure before i finish up painting today. Thanks ~Heath

Comment

Wow, that's an awesome right up Lou, and when I start to get my bike up and running here with some mix-mathed parts after my accident, hopefully i'll have time to paint her next winter and your post will definitely help me out a ton! Thanks!!

Comment

For those that want one, here is a printable version of the paint guide. Please download it (right-click and Save As...) to save my bandwidth a little grief. Thank you.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

Awesome, Lou how much paint did you use????

Comment

I don't know about Lou's amounts, but to paint the tail for an 03 takes 1 can for a little over 2 light coats. www.color-rite.com has the suggestion somewhere for how paint is needed to paint a bike.
              -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

hey check this out! I was checkin out the paint on the dupli-color website. foudn a video tutorial of basically the same thing lou had, just not as detailed. but still might be helpful.
                ~chris

Comment

Thanks Lou, This will Help Tons when I do My color change

Comment

Originally posted by ccuvo
                    Awesome, Lou how much paint did you use????
                    I can't rememebr how many can's of those small Mirage cans I used. I know it was a few, as I was doing about 6 to 7 layers of color on each peice. I used one whole can on the tank itself though. I wanted to get a nice deep color to it.

As for the orange, I used 2 pints of Orange, 1 pint of white, and I think 2 or 3 pints of clear, not including all the reducer and such.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I managed to get two good coats out of 1 can on my 03 tail. I'm guessing a full bike would need 6-8 cans.
                      -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

The "Mirage" paint comes in a smaller can too, and you needed to use a lot of coats. I wasn't sure how many cans it would take using a regular size can.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

damn nice looking bike.. and to think all was done in a house garage.... hmmm i going to paint mine now...
                          1990 GSXR 750 Slingshot(sold)
                          1992 GSXF Katana 750(sold 2014)
                          1994 GSXF Katana 600 (gave away)
                          2007 Suzuki Boulevard C-90 (sold)
                          2003 GSX 1300R Hayabusa (purchased 2013)

I MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BIGGEST DUDE YOUVE SEEN ON A 750 KAT.....

Comment

This is the exact kind of info I was looking for. I really want to paint my bike, but I was afraid to try it without having tips on how to do it. I can't afford to take it to a professional to do the job and I didn't know how good of a job one can get from using spray paint.

I want to paint mine just plain black. I believe Walmart has a black Fusion paint that might have some glitter in it. If it does, is it ok to also use the same brand clear coat on that (I believe that it's Krylon)? Also, for the paint, do you use flat, semi or gloss? I know the clear coat gives it shine, but does the paint also have to be gloss?

Thanks again!
                            sigpic
                            John - AKA: Negster
                            2005 Katana 600

Comment

Also, if I decide to paint the same design that I currently have on my bike that are decals, would the different colors mix well or will they crack?
                              sigpic
                              John - AKA: Negster
                              2005 Katana 600

Comment

Hey brooder

Any chance you could repair that link for the pdf version of the guide? Or if anyone could email it to me I'd appreciate it.
                                There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Comment

Working...
                                X