X

LED Light Legal or Illegal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Light Legal or Illegal?

I just bought a 04 Katana 600 and the person i bought the bike from had green LED lights installed under the fairings and under the tail... I wanted to know if in the state of Texas if it is legal to ride with these lights turned on.. I dont see it being a problem as long as they are not blue or red but I want to be sure... Any help is appreciated.
    Nobody knows my soul

This probably has some useful information for you.

First motorcycle - new project
    1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Should be okay, the laws vary by state.

Originally posted by MEngineer View Post
      This probably has some useful information for you.

http://www.de-luxcycle.com/laws_on_lighting.htm
      That is one of the most horrible websites I've looked at in recent memory
      Last edited by steves; 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        Should be okay, the laws vary by state.

It's bad, but has some info. It's the result of a 3 second Google search.
        First motorcycle - new project
        1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          I can beat that one steve...

http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Thanks guys... I need to change my settings so I know when I have replies though. hah
            Nobody knows my soul

Comment

I'm in Texas too, and have not heard of anyone getting citations for that. However I would suggest no direct or flashing colors. Indirect lighting seems to be the key. And the more subtle the better, IMHO.

I've seen undercarriage lighting on cars and bikes, thought about doing it myself but figure it's kind of a waste of money...for me.
              Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
              Ride: 2002 750F Kat
              "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Comment

OK, I've changed my mind....getting some led lighting soon.
                Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
                Ride: 2002 750F Kat
                "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Comment

Having lived in Texas I can tell you they are illegal if.... Any of the lights show directly or are red/blue/amber in color and flash. You can however use any color you wish providing the lights cannot be seen directly. They must be hidden from view completely. Flashing lights of any color other than the afore mentioned are alright as well. This is due to emergency and construction/maintenance vehicles using those three colors. If the reflect or glow off the surface of something it's perfectly fine.

I got pulled over many times on bikes cars any anything that moved with underglow/body lights. So I learned first hand from the authority on the ie pd state troopers and sheriffs. If they are red blue or amber and flash while moving you're in trouble. The informations is readily available on the Texas dot site. You may want to ask a your local law enforcement to be sure as it is really left up to their own discretion if they want to site you for it. Not sure where you're located in Texas but I will tell you that several towns along i35 and i37 they will harass you but not site. So if nothing else make sure you have an easily accessible kill switch. Austin in town is bad pfleugerville, whatever that little town south of Waco is, San Antonio downtown, port arransas, and a couple others will bug you but if a cop starts following just turn them off and they usually just leave you alone or will provide a notice.

Non the less txdot site is an excellent stop for verifying what is or isn't legal for Texas.
                  Last edited by BDSCRPN; 03-20-2014, 09:42 PM.
                  BDSCRPN

Comment

I personally think a little extra lighting on a bike it a good thing. It makes you a lot more visible a night, but the filp side of that is it usually distracts a lot of drivers cause for some reason most people on the road are like bugs that are atracted to bug lamps. when it comes to any aftermarket lighting, my suggestion is to do things that are not completely obvious, but more noticable than nothing like red leds under the tail of the bike (police cant really say anything about it as long as it looks like it's a tail light) a red flashing led strip that lights up with the brake light (again, it's perfectly legal if it looks like its a tail light). Some white leds that illuminate the air vents in the fairings and maybe lighting up the street below you as well (I only say white because it's less distracting, but still noticable). And as was said before, make sure you have a switch that kills all of it if you ever need to shut it all off quickly. The way I had mine set up was 1 switch for the white, 1 for the red and then a master switch to cut power to both. Generally I just used the master switch because there wasn't ever a reason to just shut one set off, but I figured if a cop pulled me for the white lights I could shut those off and keep the red on.

Comment

Working...
                    X