X

Bandit 1200 swap?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I keep reaching for 7th on my Kat all the damn time! Lol

I see what your saying. The b12 is a 2002 model... Does anyone know what years to watch out for? As in the "bad" years? The 750 is a 99 year so it's the less powerful than the 89-98 pre 750s. Is it worth paying the 250$ for a running 750 motor and a clutch cover and carb boots for 10hp? Or should I spend 750$ plus crate shipping to me for the 98hp b12? But then need the CDI and stuff and obviously a much larger oil cooler lol.
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

I think the B12 is past the "oil burner" years.

Depends on what you want with it, I never felt any discernible difference between the 600 and 750 katana engines, but that was pre to post respectively.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well the difference between post and pre 600 and 750 is maybe 10hp. I'm not going to swap in a post 750 for 10hp and a smidge of low end tq. I still feel like a pre 750 or a 1100 would be nice as its really a plug and play.

However talking to the guy with the B12 and basically going to cost me 950$ shipped to my door, motor has 5k and has some road rash on the overs but nothing "deep". Motor is missing the starter and does not have carbs but has the carb boots that I will have to replace for the 600 carb boots. He will be giving me the stock header for free. He believes the motor is all stock but noticed a missing bolt on the stator cover so I will see what he says.

You guys think its a good buy?

Comment

I think the difference you would feel from a b12 motor vs the kat 750 motor would be dramatic. You may find the difference between the kat 600 vs 750 to be anti-climatic
          previous rides
          06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
          next ride - another kat

Comment

i also have a 01 bandit 1200 and with a few hundred bucks spent with dale walker ,she dynos out at 120 hp and 80ft tq thats rear wheel by the way and i think they rev out to to like 10500 but if you gonna turbo it why you worried about the 98 hp,+the 12 is making more tq at 3750 than the 750 makes all day ,just my thoughts fella

Comment

Those are some good points guys lol.

Ratana7fiddy, what mods have you done to get that extra? Im sure its his vortec slip on and jet kit prob stage 2. Just interested to see what got ya that power.

Does the B12 rev to 10,500? The specs show 8,500 as max power and I wasnt sure if the bandit CDI will allow it to rev any higher? like my Kat 600 once its hits 12K just spits and sputters like a rev limiter. I wasnt sure if the B12 would do that at 8,500.

Right now Im trying to figure out the motor, as its a 02 and I dont have a Vin number the motor might be one of those "oil consumer" motors that basiaclly needs new pistons and rings. Something I wont be able to afford or want to. Now that its just a motor put into a Katana that wouldn't be elligable for Suzuki to fix the problem as its not exactly a full bandit bike. I dont want to get stuck with something like that after spending that amount of money and time swapping it in.

Is there any way to check to see if the engine code will help figure out if its possibly an oil burner? I read the service bulletin and its based on VIN codes which I dont have.

Comment

the b12 revs above 10 i think mine bounces off the limiter around 11 and a half or 12.....
                92 gsxf 750:1216 motor upgrade,5.5 inch wheel swap, plus 10 swingarm, gsxr 1000 farings and cbr tailight,lol

Comment

Are u running the 750 CDI? Or a bandit CDI?

Reason is that eBay shows bandit CDIS at about 90-100$ and for like $200 more I could bypass the whole stock system and just run the Dyna 2000 ignition system which would be nice for the turbo setup and allow me to not hack up the stock harness to fit the bandit CDI

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                    Are u running the 750 CDI? Or a bandit CDI?

Reason is that eBay shows bandit CDIS at about 90-100$ and for like $200 more I could bypass the whole stock system and just run the Dyna 2000 ignition system which would be nice for the turbo setup and allow me to not hack up the stock harness to fit the bandit CDI
                    pretty sure i have the bandit cdi
                    92 gsxf 750:1216 motor upgrade,5.5 inch wheel swap, plus 10 swingarm, gsxr 1000 farings and cbr tailight,lol

Comment

Any more info on this setup?

Comment

Goin with the B12. Need some goodies. Wat cooler should I use? Is there a larger more efficient aftermarket coolers that will work better?

Also does anyone have the part #s for the 600 carb boots?

Comment

U guys still here?

Need some recommendations for oil coolers. Stock bandit? 1100 Kat will it bolt up? Or aftermarket?

Can the bandit oil lines be converted to AN fittings? Wat size is the oil lines?

Also the carb boots, does anyone have the part number for the stock 600 boots and will they bolt on to the bandit motor as I plan to use my 600 carbs.
                          Paid for the motor and should ship by the end of the week. So I want to start looking at the other parts needed.

Comment

its dales stage two with pods and the (i think 89) gixxer 750 intake cam ,and my exhaust is not really good for tq as its basically a cut down (11" ) yoshi carbon can on the stock headers mabe about a 6" mid pipe

just looked on dales site his charts go to 10,000 rpm but peak around 8000 for power and peak tq around 5-5 1/2
                            Last edited by ratana 7fiddy; 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hmmm ok thanks. And what oil cooler are you using?

Comment

So my understanding is that the 750 oil cooler will work well on the 1100 and B12 motors but does it matter if its a post or pre 750 oil cooler?

Honestly If I could get a larger more efficient oil cooler now would be the time and prob would be worth the extra cash but again Im not sure of what would be "better" than the stock stacked plate design as they seem pretty large compared to wats offered in the aftermarket. Also dont know what the BTU rating of the stock 600 and 750 oil coolers are.

The other thing could be how you convert the stock B12 motor oil lines to AN?

Comment

Working...
                                X