X
X

POD filter question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well more than likely i will go with the factory airbox and filter setup.

with this bike i purchased in the shape it is in physically, i was going to street fighter the crap outta it. all the plastic fairings are broken so badly that i wouldnt even attempt to fix them. I wanted to do the pods mostly for the look, as the airbox on a street fighter doesnt help in the appearance.

well i'll have both options, once my jet kit arrives and my exhaust is fully installed i will try out the pods and try to tune. If i cant get it after messing with it for a few days i'll go back to the stock air setup.

thanks for the input guys

Comment

It's not the air box that kills the street fighter look on a Katana. It's the street fighter part.

Comment

if i had the choice it would be 100% stock.

In the condition it's in i would need to invest 5X the amount the bike is worth to make it look decent with the fairings. Street fighter is the only option for this bike unless i find an incredibly cheap set of plastics off the internet.

Comment

I understand that your only option is a street fighter. I'm just saying, in my opinion, the air box isn't the reason it doesn't look good.

Comment

Cool..........another thread on the subject

I have a 91 GSX750F and I do intend very much to run with a pair of pod filters
            Toys.........
            1985 LT250 - modified
            1991 GSX750F - Doner for Bobber project
            2004 GSXR 1000 - stockish
            2000 Turbo Busa - very modified - now sold

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              It's not the air box that kills the street fighter look on a Katana. It's the street fighter part.
              +1

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                If you are great at tuning Mikuni carbs, then why are you asking questions here?

As I've said before, it certainly is possible to get them to work, but getting them to work on an otherwise stockish Katana is going to require more work than it is worth, and work beyond what most home mechanics (and many pro mechanics) are capable of.

I had pods on my CV's. They worked pretty well with the GSXR cams and a full exhaust, and many weeks worth of tinkering. I'd say I probably spent 30-40 hours total getting them set up as close as I could without a dyno. If I paid myself just $10 per hour for my labor, I could have bought a set of used RS's (or what a local shop would charge to stick it on the dyno/sniffer for a few hours). I guess it depends what your time is worth, though.

And in the end..... I now run RS36's, and they worked about 90% correctly with completely stock settings, and they are now at about 95% of dead-balls-on with just a needle-height adjustment. Plus they sound sexy and made the bike faster.

That method MIGHT get you a baseline to start with, but it's not going to get it exactly right.

By the way, I read countless times on that forum that it was impossible to make pods work well on an XJ650. Having set up pods on both an XJ650 and a Katana, I'd say the Katana is at least 4x harder to get them working right on. The XJ was actually really easy by comparison.

Neither of them were perfect, though. The XJ had just a little flat spot right above idle (like, 1500-1800 RPM), and on the Katana, the power ramped up more abruptly than normal between 5k RPM and 8k RPM. Both were perfectly streetable, but not dead-balls-on perfect.

so what you are saying is when you put on pods it didnt really work...there for its not really going to work for me....interesting.

thank you for letting me know prior, that my efforts will be fruitless......may I ask is it OK though if I still leave my pods on my GSX600f they seem to work ok for me at the moment.....imo

Comment

I love how everyone wants to do all this work for 0 benefit...
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

+1
                    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                      +1

I love this guys avatar picture and since you have let all of us know how you feel.....

hey guys I very rarely ask questoins although I do have one now....

if it is pointless, fruitless, really just a stupid exercise with absaloutly no benifit what so ever, meaning putting pods on a bike....then why dont I see air filter boxes on race bikes, drag bikes etc...hmmm

has anyone ever to lold them that what they have done is hopeles, fruitless etc....

(sorry actualy thats 2 questions, am I bad)

Comment

Originally posted by rubbermounted View Post
                        I love this guys avatar picture and since you have let all of us know how you feel.....

if it is pointless, fruitless, really just a stupid exercise with absaloutly no benifit what so ever, meaning putting pods on a bike....then why dont I see air filter boxes on race bikes, drag bikes etc...hmmm

has anyone ever to lold them that what they have done is hopeles, fruitless etc....

The difference is engine performance and work.

Your kat is detuned... it's meant to be rock solid, and they do this by making it very mild in the cams, and overall performance. Lasts a long time, but isn't performance oriented.

Race engines have a ton of work done to them. They have a greatly different performance range, and need. Most race engines are about WOT... and having good performance at lower RPMs isn't a primary concern. This makes for a short life, and poor street performance.

As I have mentioned, and keep mentioning... Just changing the Kat cams with GSXR cams makes a significant difference in how easy the engine is to tune with the Pods. Just about everyone who I would say has half a clue what they are talking about, and says they got them to nearly work... did just that. Swapped the cams, or ... use a completely different engine than the Kat. Like a bandit 12, or GSXR 1127 motor.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Are you referring to my new avatar pic? (If so, pssst, I'm a GIRL)

(Edit is to add: Arsenic, the new avatar pic is an homage to you)

As to your question(s). I believe the threads here are saying pods are the wrong way to go on a KATANA because of the way the carbs and the engine works. Katana's aren't drag or race bikes so there's no reason to think what would apply to a Katana would apply to them.
                          Last edited by Badfaerie; 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM. Reason: 'cuz girls can't get it right the first time
                          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

so what you are saying is when you put on pods it didnt really work...there for its not really going to work for me....interesting.

thank you for letting me know prior, that my efforts will be fruitless......may I ask is it OK though if I still leave my pods on my GSX600f they seem to work ok for me at the moment.....imo
                            I'm pretty sure what I wrote is that I put on pods and they DID work, but that it took a LOT of tuning to get them right. I didn't think it was that hard to read. Are you retarded? It's not a rhetorical question...... (bonus points if you know the movie reference)

BTW- most people that throw on a set of pods and them proclaim that they worked great really don't have any idea wtf they are doing. They assume that because it doesn't stutter, sputter or foul plugs that it must be right.

I may as well throw out there that in my quest to get the pods set up right, the change that made the greatest difference was bumping up the pilot jet. Most of the world gets bigger pilots than the US, and jumping up to the "world spec" size made an instant and noticeable difference, and I suggest that anybody trying to make pods work do the same thing. Getting them to work at WOT takes nothing at all, it's getting them to work at all throttle positions in all RPM ranges that takes work.

Drag bikes can run just about anything, or nothing at all, and be fine. You run essentially wide-open from start to finish. It's not hard to tune for WOT only, regardless of what kind of carbs/filters you run and on what engine.

I don't run road course, so I don't know much about setting up road course bikes....... but I do know that when the old CV-carbed GSXR's were running road course, Yoshimura made an aftermarket airbox for them.

As a matter of fact, you can see a genuine Yoshimura airbox for the old slingshot GSXR's on this bike:

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
                            Pretty sure its the place to ask questions, no crime in that here.

why are you such prick... is my question

oh an i never said i was an expert, just that i have had alot of experience with mikuni carbs...
                            Sorry to come off like a prick...... but my general rule about this (and several other things) is that if you have to come online and ask questions about it, you probably can't do it effectively.

If you really are on top of tuning carbs, and you just wanted some notes about the CV's on these bikes, then here you go:

Making the slide holes smaller will start the slides rising faster. Bigger starts them rising later.

Shortening the springs will make the slides rise quicker.

These carbs are very sensitive to float height. Make sure you set them precisely, and if you want to change them while tuning, do it in small increments.

If you are setting up US carbs, you should probably bump up the pilot jet right away. As far as I know, no jet kits include it, but it's too small (smaller than what the rest of the world gets.... emissions, you know)

Hope that helps.
                            Last edited by loudnlow7484; 08-31-2011, 04:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

That is a lovely bike LnL

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                                (Edit is to add: Arsenic, the new avatar pic is an homage to you)

Comment

Working...
                                X