Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Full LED lighting conversion (aside from headlights)...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good!
    "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

figgered maybe i'd add bulb info for parts after I got a PM requesting it:

gauge LEDs are T1.5 (#73/74) twistlocks, SMD high power type
      I suggest using a STD type LED for the high beam indicator, the SMD is annoyingly bright, however, for the rest, get all SMD high power

1 red (oil)
      3 green(Neutral and turn indicators)
      5 or 6 blue SMD for gauges(sorry, i forget exactly)
      1 blue STD power for high beam.

2 WLED 6 led #194s in bright white for plate and parking light

Super Bright LEDs is one of the largest online retailers of LED lighting for commercial and residential uses. Enjoy free/same-day shipping on qualifying orders!

4 AMBER 15-LED with 67 base: 9 x 5mm LEDs, 6 x 3mm Radially Mounted LEDs

The BA15S plug-and-play LED replacement bulb is suitable for vehicle applications. The 360° beam angle reduces hot spots and provides a wide viewing angle for all-over light emission. The stock bulb cover encloses the LEDs and gives the bulb a traditional look. Designed to last 10,000 hours- 8 times longer than incandescent bulbs- they are ideal for tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals.

cant give a part number for the PepBoys RED 1157 tower bulb, but if ordering from Superbright, I'd go with this one for the 1998-02 lights:

Super Bright LEDs is one of the largest online retailers of LED lighting for commercial and residential uses. Enjoy free/same-day shipping on qualifying orders!

flasher: # LFS1 FLAT
      Fix hyperflash or bulb-out notifications on your motorcycle with our wide range of flasher relays and load resistors. Shop LED vehicle lighting supplies here!

I connected it exactly as shown here:

hope this helps
      Last edited by JayBell; 01-19-2011, 01:59 AM.

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

very nice JB i like the undertail!
        03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
        04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
        08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
        10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
        05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

thanks JayBell,
          leds came in on saturday night and were installed that night.

looks great
          thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by solgerny View Post
            thanks JayBell,
            leds came in on saturday night and were installed that night.

looks great
            thanks again
            glad i could help, boy that gauge cluster is a PITA aint it

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
              glad i could help, boy that gauge cluster is a PITA aint it
              if your talking about the center nut on the back of the panel, i agree
              or
              about the time i put it all back together and found out i didnt check the polarity (4 lights not working)
              or
              the second time i put it back together and found that i forgot 6 of the eights screws that hold the cluster together.

yep i agree its definatly PITA, but sure does look great, i changed out the headlight buld since i had everything taken off twice.

thansk again for you input and help

Comment

Originally posted by solgerny View Post
                if your talking about the center nut on the back of the panel, i agree
                or
                about the time i put it all back together and found out i didnt check the polarity (4 lights not working)
                or
                the second time i put it back together and found that i forgot 6 of the eights screws that hold the cluster together.

yep i agree its definatly PITA, but sure does look great, i changed out the headlight buld since i had everything taken off twice.

thansk again for you input and help

DOH! hmm, i totally forgot to mention CHECK POLARITY.

hey everyone... CHECK POLARITY

Comment

Jay, how bright is your dash? (Not the warning lights, just the backlighting.) I'm looking at doing this on the KLR, but going with the standard intensity LEDs.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

err, not real bright, its a nice soft bluish glow...the high intensity SMTD leds work better on the Kat since the light is obscured, and diffuse from the back, reflected onto the front painted numbers, and the needles, as opposed to a partially transparent backlit gauge faces liek other bikes.

if the KLR has a a type of gauges where the gauge back allows light to shine through it, lower intensity leds would be fine I'd think, bu.t if its like the Kat, get the high intensity.

as steve mentioned, get the electronic flasher unit to save power also, and you also wont need the stupid resistors to slow the blinking.

probably best to check the gauge face type before ordering.

oh, and if ya want my older 28 LED 1157 tail light bulb, send me a PM with an address to mail it to, I put the sick bright 45LED tower bulb in.. even the 28 one is super bright.
                    Last edited by JayBell; 12-07-2010, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Looks sweet, I'm really wanting to change out my gauges.

Comment

now are these the same bulbs I would use on my Post 600?
                        New Carbs and new tires makes it hard to take it easy on the throttle....

Comment

looks really nice, but I have a question:
                          I'm installing an Illumiglo Gauges kit, and I'd like to complete with a blue lighted clock. How did you do this? The clock is retroilluminated, isn't it? did you install a blue led under it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sjorge3442 View Post
                            making it easy on ya.
                            "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                            1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                            2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by paul_phoenix View Post
                              looks really nice, but I have a question:
                              I'm installing an Illumiglo Gauges kit, and I'd like to complete with a blue lighted clock. How did you do this? The clock is retroilluminated, isn't it? did you install a blue led under it?

Thanks
                              yes.

Originally posted by Sjorge3442 View Post
                              yes
                              Last edited by JayBell; 08-04-2011, 11:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

What headlights did u use ????? looks great

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                                so I decided to do the full LED conversion aside from the headlights

I tried to take pics as well as possible, but apparently its difficult to get focused pics in the dark

theres another thread around for the cluster conversion using the blue #194 SMTD high power LEDs for the backlighting, a green for the Neutral indicator, blue for the highbeam, and red for oil.

the cluster pic

I used a 37LED Tower type 360 degree LED 1157 brake light from pep boys :
                                marker lit:

Brake lit:

6led white #194 for the plate light:

same 6LED #194 for the parking light

rear 15LED radial amber 1156 at flash:

same 15led radial amber 1156 in front "smoked clear" turns

all bulbs aside from the 1157 Tower bulb were purchased from Superbrightleds.com ... oddly, in the ONLY useful purchase from PEP BOYS.. the 1157 tower bulb was from there.

also, to make the LED turns blink correctly, an LED turn flasher was installed. I disconnected the integral flasher in the flasher diode unit using the flasher diagram in the servicemanual, and connected the new flasher to the leads... similar to this link

http://www.customdynamics.com/custom...00_flasher.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X